Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Florida residents! What are you doing to prepare for hurrica
1  2  Next

Maryann

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 10:38 pm
What are you doing to prepare for the hurricane?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 11:00 pm
Hopefully they are paying attention to the evacuation orders. FL is problematic when it comes to evacuation because of the highway and fuel availability. I think the Keys started evacuating today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....f6b0b

flmommy

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 11:57 pm
Running around like a mad woman getting water and food. Hoping for the best but getting prepared for the worst. Not in an evacuation zone.

esther11

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 12:47 am
Same!! Trying not to freak out because I'm new-ish to FL and never been through a hurricane bH...

grace413

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:33 am
My elderly mother is in South
Florida.

I suggest that in the future you take a tip from her. In May, before hurricane season starts, prepare for the worst. You have no doubt seen that stores are now out of bottled water and other essentials. My mother buys all hurricane essentials in May: bottled water, canned food, batteries for radios and lights, etc. This way if you need it it's there. Then after hurricane season she puts the food into regular rotation.

The best source for accurate information is http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ This site gives official notice re path of hurricane and evacuations etc. Also stayed tuned to local news.

Note that even if you are not directly hit by a hurricane power can be out for extended lengths of time. This is unpleasant, to put it mildly. Having an old fashioned telephone that works without electricity is an excellent idea. Downed power lines are a danger to life.

If you are told to evacuate please do so. Remember the pictures from Houston of people sitting roofs waiting to be saved? You do not want to be them.

For issues regarding Shabbat, consult your LOR.

In the meantime I will be davening that the storm changes course and goes harmlessly into the Atlantic.

Wishing safety to all.

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 9:50 am
Where does everyone who needs to evacuate go to? Do they have to find their own places to stay?

grace413

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:03 am
smile12345 wrote:
Where does everyone who needs to evacuate go to? Do they have to find their own places to stay?

Not a pretty picture. There are some centers where people are taken in, further away from the full force but this storm seems to be hitting all of Florida. As I read recently, people in Houston could go north, east or west. In Florida you can only go north. There are 2 main roads and they are probably already clogged. Most people are not in mandatory evacuation areas.

Davening.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:28 am
DD and family have evacuated from NMB. They left yesterday driving heading to Cleveland. This morning they were only in Jacksonville due to the heavy traffic of others evacuating too.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 12:13 pm
Remember to fill up on gas in the car, non perishable food, and plenty of water

grace413

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 12:17 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Remember to fill up on gas in the car, non perishable food, and plenty of water

Way too late. The store shelves are empty.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 7:47 am
smile12345 wrote:

My nephews yeshiva went to Atlanta yesterday.

cbg

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 8:16 am
In S.FL. now.
Today I'm cooking double for Shabbat and freezing.
If I don't end up using it I'll have it ready for next week or RH.
Since Monday, I couldn't find any water.
I have two big pitchers, you know the glass ones with the spout on the bottom, and filling them up to the top today. About 5 gallons each, it's just DH and I.

IF YOU COULDNT FIND WATER, BEFORE SHABBAT FILL AS MANY POTS AND CONTAINERS THAT YOU CAN.

In my area,
The regular supermarkets have no water, bread, flashlights, but there is plenty of canned veggies, crackers, snacks, etc.
The kosher supermarkets have just about everything, EXCEPT water. At least yesterday.

Gasoline- very long lines-shortage, BH filled up to the top on Tuesday
DH, went midnight Wedensday and was able to fill with little lines, Premium only.

What else can I say
IMO, It'll be a category 3 hurricane by the time it hits us.

Still dangerous, but manageable if you are prepared
Let's daven that we are all safe.

Many families in my community wanted to go to Atlanta until they heard that there was a possibility that Atlanta will also be under hurricane watch.
Also, they may not be able to get back as easily.

WE ARE NOT IN A MANDATORY EVACUATION ZONE.

The Rav in our community said
1. If you are in a mandatory evacuation zone, don't even think about staying.
2. If you are not in a mandatory evacuation zone, talk to your neighbors and see if most are evacuating. If this is the case, then make plans to leave.
BTW, most live in high rise buildings, in my area.
3. The elderly and sick should evacuate no mater what. Rescue workers WILL NOT come to your aid during the hurricane, and it might take days until they can.
4. If you decide to stay, prepare for the worse case senerio.
Understand that you may be stuck in your apartment for 3-4 days without electric, water, phone, Internet, or other people in your building. If you are not comfortable with that idea, then you should evacuate.
5. Pay attention to the anxiety level of your kids (and wives). If they are too nervous, GO.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 8:48 am
I hope you & your homes will all be safe and dry!

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 12:32 pm
yo'ma wrote:
My nephews yeshiva went to Atlanta yesterday.

The Atlanta Shuls are helping people find hospitality and setting up meals for the next few days.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 1:02 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
DD and family have evacuated from NMB. They left yesterday driving heading to Cleveland. This morning they were only in Jacksonville due to the heavy traffic of others evacuating too.

Did they make it to you?

Sending prayers for all the people in the path of this monstrosity.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:03 pm
From my reading and NPR's latest reports the freeway traffic hasn't been able to get over 20mph since there are so many cars on the road.

esther11

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 3:26 pm
I'm from Miami, it's pretty intense. We were planning to stay until our rav advised us to leave if we could. We managed to get out early bH based on his advice. The Atlanta community opened its doors, extending invitations to the entire South florida Jewish community. They set ppl up in houses when possible and on blow up mattresses when not.
Many people wanted to leave but couldn't based on logistics (traffic, gas, no flights, etc).
Everyone really is banding together, picking up supplies for each other, helping those in need, compiling lists of names and addresses of those staying, giving gas/traffic updates on the highways, etc. The yeshiva (Toras Chaim) sent pair of boys to anyone who needed help moving furniture or hammering plywood. The achdus is incredible! there definitely is a nervous tension in the air though, with people planning for the worst and davening for the best.

IyH the storm will fizzle out or blow over with minimal damage!

cbg

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 5:13 pm
Amen
Shabbat Shalom
To all Florida Imas
Please stay safe

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 5:16 pm
Everyone should stay safe. My husband is on schedule to leave to florida on Saturday night with an emergency vehicle convoy🙁

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 5:20 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Did they make it to you?

Sending prayers for all the people in the path of this monstrosity.

They made it to Cleveland (which is not to me, I'm further, but they have close family there) around 1:00 pm their time today.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics