Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
If you had the key to fixing it...
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:49 am
Let's say, hypothetically, that you discovered a hidden manuscript of a very respected Gadol from recent generations. In it, you found a system for elementary school education that could revolutionize the way our children are taught.

The system looked impossible at first glance. Some parts seemed too elementary for frum kids, others looked too advanced even for 8th graders.

But further study revealed an immensely practical method of giving a complete, well-rounded core Jewish education to all types of students.

It simultaneously managed to solve multiple issues which plague our current school systems: Producing illiterate graduates, lack of hashkafa, over-reliance on memorization, no place in Torah for non-academics, very little education on morals, inadequate stimulation, no inspiration to study further, students missing basics of Judaism, huge gaps in knowledge, boring davening, no relationship with Hashem, etc...

But there are some catches: The system is cumulative, meaning that an 8th grader would need to do a lot of catch-up work to be at expected grade level. Most teachers would need to learn more material, because although the information should be basic, it currently isn't. Workbooks and worksheets don't exist for certain parts of it. It hasn't been used in schools yet.

And most importantly, as previously mentioned, the greatness of the system is not immediately apparent.

Now let's say that this is not hypothetical, and you are literally holding the manuscript in your hands. What would you do first? How would you share this? Do you think schools would be willing to take a leap of faith (relying on a respected Gadol, however) and make a drastic change?

crust

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:07 am
If this manuscript was revealed to me I would open a school.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:14 am
Is the plan flexible enough to accommodate out of the box kids? IMHO, this is the biggest downfall of the frum school system. They try to force all the kids into the same mold, and the ones that don't conform perfectly get left out.

salt

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:17 am
Not sure why the need for the mashal of finding a manuscript.
A way to revolutionalize the current education system is more likely to come from someone who knows how we live nowadays. Unless you mean you find some kind of written prophecy or something!
Don't think people are more likely to change the system after finding something written by the Vilna Gaon or someone like that.
Out of interest, I read an article by Rav Eliezer Melamed that according to Rav Kook and Rav Moshe Feinstein, it is preferable that children spend most of their time learning limudei kodesh, and minimal secular studies, until they are fully versed in Tanach and Talmud, and only then go on to study for an occupation.
Are these the kind of gedolim that you're talking about.
And anyway, in the olden days there was no printing, so no gadol from several generations ago would have thought of the idea of not learning things off by heart - I assume that's what they all had to do.
Unless, as I said earlier, you're talking about finding a prophetic vision in a written manuscript.
Why do you ask the question this way. Why not "what's your ideal educational system, and do you think it will ever be realized?" - simpler.

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:17 am
IMO, half of change is about politics.

I'd talk to the most politically savvy people I know, about how to influence the leaders enough to let the plan demonstrate its validity.

crust

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:29 am
imasinger wrote:
IMO, half of change is about politics.

I'd talk to the most politically savvy people I know, about how to influence the leaders enough to let the plan demonstrate its validity.

The manuscript that you will need in order to succeed is called money.

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:37 am
crust wrote:
The manuscript that you will need in order to succeed is called money.

Thumbs Up Rolling Laughter

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:51 am
This is less than 75 years old, and yes, we are talking about a world-renowned Gadol, not just a Rosh Yeshiva.

It should work well for out-of-the-box kids, because there is enough variety of learning and learning styles (book learning, discussions, history, language, practicals) that everyone should have something (or many somethings) for them. The goal seems to be to give everyone a solid foundation in being a Jew, no matter what type of life they choose (job, SAHM, Kollel, etc.)

I'm calling it a manuscript because, although it was printed, it was only printed as a paper booklet, and it seems that those who saw it before did not understand what they were seeing - like I said, it's not obvious at first glance. Additionally, some of the tools that make this a practical system were not developed until recently.

Money won't solve a faulty educational paradigm (but it would help a lot of other things!). This is a new educational paradigm.

Please keep the responses coming, I really appreciate the feedback.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 4:13 am
Well I think I might start by seeing if other people agreed with my opinion about how this was a good idea, but I'd have to tell them what it was in order for that to happen.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 4:39 am
Start a school in a more laid back community (ie not Brooklyn or Lakewood where there are control issues).

My community started a new school based on affordability and project based learning. It works in Teaneck because people are willing to try new things in the education world. We've been with the school since its inception 6 years ago. You need a lot of PR to get a good program off the ground and a parent body willing to try. Others follow along.

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 4:44 am
Many people involved in education are sincerely interested in positive change.

If this system has such potential, I vote for a small scale trial, followed by presentation at Torah umesorah conventions, posting on echinuch, etc.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 5:08 am
imasinger wrote:
Many people involved in education are sincerely interested in positive change.

If this system has such potential, I vote for a small scale trial, followed by presentation at Torah umesorah conventions, posting on echinuch, etc.

It's not just about the people involved in education. You need a parent/student body to go with it.

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 5:22 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Start a school in a more laid back community (ie not Brooklyn or Lakewood where there are control issues).

My community started a new school based on affordability and project based learning. It works in Teaneck because people are willing to try new things in the education world. We've been with the school since its inception 6 years ago. You need a lot of PR to get a good program off the ground and a parent body willing to try. Others follow along.

Agree with this.

Create a pilot program in a community open-minded enough to try out this new method.

Recruit an excellent principal (assuming there are any in this revolutionary new method).

Start modestly with a kindergarten (or whatever you call the lowest grade relevant to this program). Add a grade each year. Don't make adoption of this technique more difficult by trying to recruit older kids to be "re-educated."

After one year, generate positive PR with a convincing success story, highlighting the results of this educational experiment (presumably these would be something like excellent midot, positive student and parental feedback, a love of yahadut, excellent secular education, etc.). It will be hard to measure academic achievement for younger grades, but use what you can.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 5:36 am
saw50st8 wrote:

What do you mean "based on affordability"? How do you impliment that? It really comes down to money. If the yeshiva has a wealthy parent body many of whom pay full tuition, or wealthy donors, then there will be discounts to help those in need. How is it possible to implement a "based on affordability" system unless others are picking up the tab? I don't think we can make a blanket statement that a yeshiva should be based on affordability.

ssspectacular

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 6:41 am
I would start with a pilot program of every child having an adult in the school system who really knows him \her well. There are such programs in the secular world. A responsible, caring adult (doesn't have to be a professional) who does not have the parents' emotional attachment ( or not) can spot problems where they start and use strength based techniques to help the child.
This is the beginning of helping every child-not waiting for situations to become serious.

crust

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 6:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Is the plan flexible enough to accommodate out of the box kids? IMHO, this is the biggest downfall of the frum school system. They try to force all the kids into the same mold, and the ones that don't conform perfectly get left out.

If its not flexible enough then what is new with it?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 7:25 am
imasoftov wrote:
Well I think I might start by seeing if other people agreed with my opinion about how this was a good idea, but I'd have to tell them what it was in order for that to happen.

LOL, that sounds like when they were passing Obamacare. Approve it first, and then we'll tell you what the document says.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 8:15 am
amother wrote:
What do you mean "based on affordability"? How do you impliment that? It really comes down to money. If the yeshiva has a wealthy parent body many of whom pay full tuition, or wealthy donors, then there will be discounts to help those in need. How is it possible to implement a "based on affordability" system unless others are picking up the tab? I don't think we can make a blanket statement that a yeshiva should be based on affordability.

They are committed to being a lower cost school. It's $9500/student all in for grades K-5 (pre-K is a little less, 6th is a little more because the day is longer). They fundraise for scholarships separately from tuition increases. They implement cost savings (like some kids having english in the morning instead of hebrew to maximize the use of staff). The $9500 might be high compared to where you come from, but it's roughly 40% cheaper than the next school in town (keep in mind that teachers have masters in education and get paid appropriately and on time - they aren't hiring girls fresh out of seminary).

Here's the link for more information: http://www.yeshivatheatid.org/

There was quite a bit of pushback from some people but there were enough people willing to go along with it that it took off. It's growing in leaps and bounds. We happen to love the education model that focuses on learning through projects and allowing kids extra freedom. Kids rotate around the classroom to work independently, in groups or on computers. The kids can stand, move and sit in many different ways so they aren't stuffed into a chair all day long. It's a wonderful school and the middos they inspire are amazing. It's not for everyone - it is a co-ed modern orthodox school. But a similar type school could be opened almost anywhere as a single-relations school. As long as people are willing to think outside the box.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 8:22 am
You would have to get approval from Gedolim today to launch your educational system. As Chazal tell us, Yiftach B'doro K'Shmuel B'doro.

Every generation has unique challenges that have to be addressed by the leaders of that generation. I remember one of my high school teachers, who happens to be a respected principal today, telling us something interesting about the encounter of Yaakov and the Angel. When Yaakov strove with the Angel, he asked him, please tell me your name. The Angel responded Lamah Zeh Ti'shal L'shmi - why do you ask my name.

Yaakov was asking the angel - tell me what challenge you represent to my people, tell me your name so I will be able to tell my children who you are. The angel responded that knowing his name would not help, because he has a different name in every generation. That's why every generation has new challenges to deal with.

So a prototype for Chinuch from a previous generation may or may not be helpful to today's schools. It may or may not address the issues we face.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 8:27 am
As a teacher for many years I would say that you need to be prepared to hire people who are sold on this particular method and are ready to lay their lives on the line for it...it sounds like a lot of work.
As a result, be prepared to offer close to double pay than any other school..again, it sounds very intense.
Other than that, go ahead! Any change at this point would be beneficial. But be prepared for a very very difficult first few years. Including issues like tiny tiny classes and perhaps having a blank grade (space between two grades because you couldn't fill the class.)
Perhaps get some big chinuch names on your team and some valuable endorsements can never hurt.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics