Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Mid size communities

DB12

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 7:17 am
Hi, we are looking into relocating to a mid size community. Basically we want a community that is warm, accepting, down to earth, not competitive,learning opportunities, good infastructure ( shiurim, mikvaos, kosher food) with both learning and working types. We really want there to be more than 1 option for schooling. A chofetz chaim type of school would be shayech for us. So far, our list is dallas, east boca, atlanta,st louis, and possibly baltimore. ( husband doesnt like baltimore for personal reasons so its unlikely)... Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions AND OR/ info on east boca and dallas? I havent been able to get a contact for either one. Oh and I work in jewish non profit so having a federaton or something nearby would be good.

FaygieofLA

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 7:32 am
Check out: https://www.ou.org/communities

Lots of good info there.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 7:45 am
Chicago?

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 7:46 am
I second chicago

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:45 am
Dallas seems like a good fit. I would also look into St. Louis, Atlanta, Philly, Boston, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and Houston. If you want someplace closer to NY, try Edison/Highland Park or Staten Island. Chicago and Baltimore are great places, but I wouldn't call them mid-size communities.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:37 am
Dallas is great. There are three eruvs but they are all close and very interconnected. One has a very large chofetz chaim community. Kosher food, mikvah, restaurants etc. for schools most frum people only send to Torah day school. Akiba is very very modern so not sure if it's enough options in that department. Housing is way cheaper than New York, no state income tax, utilities, gas, insurance etc are also all cheaper here. We have a huge federation and a lot of ancillary Jewish non profits.

What other info on Dallas can I help you with?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 12:11 pm
DB12 wrote:
Hi, we are looking into relocating to a mid size community. Basically we want a community that is warm, accepting, down to earth, not competitive,learning opportunities, good infastructure ( shiurim, mikvaos, kosher food) with both learning and working types. We really want there to be more than 1 option for schooling. A chofetz chaim type of school would be shayech for us. So far, our list is dallas, east boca, atlanta,st louis, and possibly baltimore. ( husband doesnt like baltimore for personal reasons so its unlikely)... Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions AND OR/ info on east boca and dallas? I havent been able to get a contact for either one. Oh and I work in jewish non profit so having a federaton or something nearby would be good.

Cincinnati? 2 frum elementary school options. TONS of shiurim/learning opportunities (the kollel is packed at night for men, and women have weekday and Shabbos programming throughout the community). One mainstream mikvah, one chabad. Kosher food is not an issue. Restaurant options include pizza, Indian, bagel shop, JCC cafe, and a fleishig restaurant hoping to open soon as well as many pop-up type of events. All types of people here. Some have brown hair, some have blonde, some have none Tongue Out JK. Learning, working, both, we're really a mix. Strong Jewish Federation presence, though I have no idea their current job openings.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 12:42 pm
how old are your kids? cincy's second school only goes up until 4th grade. They plan to keep adding grades. only one girls highschool and the only boys highschool is lebavitch.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:08 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Cincinnati? 2 frum elementary school options. TONS of shiurim/learning opportunities (the kollel is packed at night for men, and women have weekday and Shabbos programming throughout the community). One mainstream mikvah, one chabad. Kosher food is not an issue. Restaurant options include pizza, Indian, bagel shop, JCC cafe, and a fleishig restaurant hoping to open soon as well as many pop-up type of events. All types of people here. Some have brown hair, some have blonde, some have none Tongue Out JK. Learning, working, both, we're really a mix. Strong Jewish Federation presence, though I have no idea their current job openings.

I second all of this. Look into it.

It is much closer to the east coast than Dallas, etc

It sounds like you would like it.

True, there are 2 ES options, but only one girls HS and only a lubavitch HS for boys. The other boys go away. But that would be the case in many other communities too.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:26 pm
Cleveland has 3 schools, plenty of kosher food, the federation is big here, immunity is definitely warm and accepting. Lots of learning and working men, as well as working who started out learning. The boys high school is now affiliated with Chofetz Chaim.

TeachersNotebook

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:18 pm
Philadelphia is definitely worth looking into. It is small to mid-size (I don't think Baltimore is mid-size), it is affordable, friendly, no competition, various school options for elementary and high school, plus all the Jewish infrastructure you mentioned. There are a number of Philadelphia neighborhoods, but I speak with experience of the Northeast. Cherry Hill,NJ is right across the river here and maybe has a Chofetz Chaim community? Check that one out too Smile

chocolatecake

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:32 pm
Detroit may fit your.bill. there.are chabad, MO AND two mainstream BY type schools that have boys amd girls.divisions. there is also.two boys highschools. One is more yeshivish and the other has a.better english. Its not a chofetz chaim but youd probably be comfortable there. There is plenty of shiurim, kosher.food is no problem. Housing there is a affordable. A very nice mix of learning and working living side by side and attending the same schools.

DallasIma

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 8:05 am
amother wrote:
Dallas is great. There are three eruvs but they are all close and very interconnected. One has a very large chofetz chaim community. Kosher food, mikvah, restaurants etc. for schools most frum people only send to Torah day school. Akiba is very very modern so not sure if it's enough options in that department. Housing is way cheaper than New York, no state income tax, utilities, gas, insurance etc are also all cheaper here. We have a huge federation and a lot of ancillary Jewish non profits.

What other info on Dallas can I help you with?

Dallas is the best!! Also, the people are so warm and friendly.

DB12

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 3:48 am
cincinnati looks like a really nice community but we are only looking at communities that have mainstream highschools for both boys and girls. Found otu great info about dallas.. just wondering what the frum neighborhood is and what housing costs.

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:50 am
All the Dallas communities are north of downtown Dallas. They're referred to as the "south Eruv" and "north Eruv" and Plano. The farther north you go, the cheaper the real estate.

The main shul in the south Eruv is Ohr HaTorah - google it for location. This is a beautiful area, but since you wrote on another thread that you're struggling with the price of real estate in Israel, I'm not sure how realistic this area will be for you, though the shul is probably just what you're looking for.

Otherwise, look into the north Eruv - see Ohev Shalom for location. This area is much cheaper, and is where the Chofetz Chaim community is based. If it's still too much, there's Plano even farther north.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:27 am
What about Atlanta?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:37 am
Aristotle?

DB12

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:48 am
Yup. We are looking into atlanta as well. Do you knwo anything about the boys high school? What they typically do after 12th grade? Same thing for temima high school?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:38 pm
DB12 wrote:
cincinnati looks like a really nice community but we are only looking at communities that have mainstream highschools for both boys and girls. Found otu great info about dallas.. just wondering what the frum neighborhood is and what housing costs.

How old is your oldest boy? They are actually really tying to start up a yeshiva high school option for boys next year, and in the coming months you could find out if that's a reality or not. If you're not imminently due for needing boys' high school options, I would not rule out the community for that reason alone.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
Aristotle?

What is that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating