Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
1 year old not crawling
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:02 pm
I think this is okay and I'm not worried but just wondering if anyone can give me tips to help my child? I don't want to contact a PT for now.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:04 pm
also will not pull to standing at all or stand straight on 2 feet even when being supported by me.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:07 pm
My baby was the same way but she did scoot I didnt get her evaluated till 14.5 months. Now she is 18.5 months and only atanding hokding on and pulls to a stand rarely I regret not evaluating earlier

pesek zman

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:17 pm
I imagine the baby had her 12 month checkup. What did your pediatrician say?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
My baby was the same way but she did scoot I didnt get her evaluated till 14.5 months. Now she is 18.5 months and only atanding hokding on and pulls to a stand rarely I regret not evaluating earlier

This.

Respectively OP, what is your reasoning for wanting to hold off on having her evaluated for therapies?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
also will not pull to standing at all or stand straight on 2 feet even when being supported by me.

PT here. This is a red flag. Why not get baby evaluated?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:23 pm
My youngest son who was born premature also didn't crawl at that age. Eventually at about 13-14 months he figured it out. But then he didn't start walking until he was more than 18 months old. Now he's two and walks, climbs and runs fine but is delayed in his speech development. I'm having him checked out now. I would recommend you get your kid checked out if he keeps lagging behind milestones. Does he use his hands according to his age? Are his vocalizations normal? Better to check early.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 6:21 pm
my oldest ds was like that. he NEVER crawled and only started walking at 19.5 months. he was very clumsy at first and fell a lot and preferred to be held or to sit.

he is 5 years old now and running, climbing, moving fine. he is a tiny bit motorically delayed in the sense that he just started riding a bike and ski.
he went to a special physiotherapist for 2 years (starting at 11 months) and I send him to different sport classes, so that he can experience different movements, which he spontanously wouldnt figure out on his own (he wouldnt play on the playground as a toddler, just sit and watch for example).

I am grateful that everything is going well, and I am glad that my pediatrician sent us to a children's neurologist and physiotherapist when he was 11 months old. this really helped and today he is a perfectly normal kid.

I also want to mention that his fine mototrics were VERY WELL developed (he used a spoon at 13 months and could eat nicey!, he could tye a ribbon at 24 months and now plays the piano and draws beautifully and writes letters very exactly, so the delay was only in the gross motorics).

bottom line, ask you pediatrician and have him evaluated by a professional. if necessary and you start therapy early it can make a HUGE improvement.

smilethere1

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 7:06 pm
I got my daughter evaluated at abt 11 mo and shouldve done it earlier as well.... also pushed it off cuz I thought shell get there.... might as well some kids just need that extra push. My baby just started crawling now at 16 mo. I wish I wouldve done it earlier would've been much easier.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 8:41 pm
ive just been there.. my baby was a yr and not crawling and wld literally crawl sitting and I was very lax abt it cuz eventually eo learns to walk or crawl. I had her evaluated and she has really bad torticollis bh with the proper therapy its almost veen corrected and she has learnt how to crawl within a couple of months! it doesnt hurt to have your baby get therapy. My baby is so much happier now that she can get around.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
PT here. This is a red flag. Why not get baby evaluated?

Not OP, though my daughter is 18 months and just started walking properly.
At 12 months she also wasn't standing up yet.
I didn't feel it of benefit to run to therapists - each child is different and there's no need to push them to do it earlier than they are ready.

OP, is your baby moving around at all eg. when sitting? (There are kids who do this and then go straight to walking)?

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:35 pm
I didn't feel it of benefit to run to therapists - each child is different and there's no need to push them to do it earlier than they are ready.

OP, is your baby moving around at all eg. when sitting? (There are kids who do this and then go straight to walking)?[/quote]

Im not saying to push kids to do things earlier. But for a kid thats delayed therapy is definitely a plus to give them that extra boost and to teach/ encourage them how to do whatever it is....
And as a btw scooting around in a sitting position is not the best....
As soon as my dd started therapy at abt 11 mo I only put her on her stomach ( made beleive she doesn't know how to sit) to avoid scooting... (much harder to get them to crawl properly if they scoot).
Crawling is very important for coordination.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:00 pm
Another vote for getting child evaluated.

From CDC - Important Milestones: Your Child By One Year - In the section on Movement/Physical Development

Gets to a sitting position without help
Pulls up to stand, walks holding on to furniture (“cruising”)
May take a few steps without holding on
May stand alone

Act early by talking to your child’s doctor if your child:

Doesn’t crawl
Can’t stand when supported

First step is your pediatrician - and go on from there.

I feel more information can't hurt - what would be the harm in getting your child evaluated?

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 1:19 am
I can only speak for NYC, because that is all I know. Every single child, who has an address here is entitled to at minimum a developmental screening. All you have to do is ask. You can call 311 or call a specific agency to pick up your case.
If your child is developmentally delayed ,the therapists come to your home at your convenience, and teach you exercises to do with your child. It's like having a personal coach.
If you feel like it is too much therapy, you can always request to decrease it.
It's like a win-win situation. You get a full evaluation, and specialized instructions on how to help your child. If you don't like it, you just stop.

cuties' mom

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 10:20 am
My oldest was the same way and I'm happy I got him services. I first had him evaluated at 9 months since he wasn't tolerating solids, didn't lift his head when placed on his stomach, and couldn't pull himself to sit. He also didn't bear weight on his feet. For some reason, he wasn't approved, but I had him reevaluated and he started getting services at 15 months. Even with therapy, he didn't start crawling until he was 22 months and he started walking at 24 months. It turned out to be he has global apraxia and had to be taught how to do everything. he is now in 6th grade, is a good student, and plays baseball, basketball, football, and soccer. The earlier your child gets services, the faster he could catch up.

simba

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 10:36 am
I had the same issue. When I mentioned it to chiropractor who I was by for another issue he recommended cranio-sacrel therapy. I found someone who did it and it worked wonders. He made more movement in 6 weeks then in the past 6 months.
Maybe try it out.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:12 am
I have heard wonders about cranial sacral therapy for issues like this. Crawling has a lot to do with using both sides of the brain together and it is very important for development -motor and otherwise. It would probably be good to get wtvr help you can -the earlier the better.
I have personally benefited from cranial work with eye coordination, which is an issue for me.
As a seit, I would say get an evaluation. It's free and pt can really help.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 1:20 pm
We haven't gone in yet for 1 year check-up.. Sounds like I should be concerned from all the posts. I wasn't thinking PT yet because of cost, time and not sure if really necessary. I do have some time at home that I could use to help myself if I know what to do. She recently started scooting on her belly, which I guess is a start.

Maybe

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
We haven't gone in yet for 1 year check-up.. Sounds like I should be concerned from all the posts. I wasn't thinking PT yet because of cost, time and not sure if really necessary. I do have some time at home that I could use to help myself if I know what to do. She recently started scooting on her belly, which I guess is a start.

Until you consult a professional, keep baby on stomach 24/7, with toys just out of arms' reach. Chiropractors are not expensive, & may a great option.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 4:20 pm
amother wrote:

Do you live in the US? An evaluation for early intervention is free. In some states therapy is free in others there's a sliding scale. Or you can see what your insurance covers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics