Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to tell boss found a better job with pay and hours
1  2  3  Next

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:20 pm
Please Read:
I'm working at a job for 2.5 years from 9-5 and honestly I really love it (even though I make like 33K a year) My son's day care told me about a month ago that my son and one other kid would be the only 2 kids from 4-5pm. For a million reason (back and forth conversation) they decided to close the 4-5 program.
I told my boss about it while it was in the thought process that this might happen and he told me that I need to figure it out. My husband was thrilled with the idea of me not working til 5. He makes really nice money and wants me to bring up my kids (my life is dysfunctional with these hour and I have 2 kids and my husband work out of town)
The kind of person I am, I need to work. I also need to work and make nice money at the same time.
Getting back to my story- my boss is really annoyed. It's been 3 days and he can't handle that I leave early and giving attitude. He told me that I must work it out. I told him that I looked into it and most people want to charge me like $200-$250 for that hour and I also need to pay a daycare more to drop him off. I told him outright that I don't get paid enough to make arrangements and I can't afford to make those payments. Also I don't feel so appreciated enough to bend over backwards for him (no pay over yom tov, no bonuses, no overpay) and I work sometimes on Sunday, nights and chol hamoad because I feel like if I don't things will fall behind. The only time a felt something was when I had a baby 7 Months ago he bought me the Doona car seat.
Backstory- I had a baby 7 Months ago. While was pregnant I felt already then no appreciation and I felt then that I wanted a new job. Everyone was telling me that I need to wait til I have the baby to look into something else. (Mind you, the day I had my baby- it was my mid-winter vacation and my workmates were out. I went into labor on a Monday morning and I didn't want to go to work bit I knew no one was there so I went in. I was there all day until 5 and had a baby in the hospital at 9:30 that night).
8 weeks ago I was offered a new job. The hours are 10-4 41K a year. I went over to my boss and I told him that I need a raise (1st one) in order for it to be worth my while. He gave a me a ring raise and I agreed to stay. I didn't tell him that I was offered a new job. This new guy was begging for me so I told him that in order to make the switch I need 1K a week. I said it just to get him off my back. He called me an hour later that the job is mine. My husband was thrilled but I am so comfortablein my job I prefer not to leave. My husband really would like me to.
I met with the guy this past Sunday and signed contract. My first day will be after sukkos!
How do I tell my boss all this. He just raised me a month ago. I feel bad. I keep pushing it off?? Please help me!

Anonymous because there are lots of my personal life here that people know.

newface34

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:25 pm
You tell your boss you love your job, you love the company but you did get offered a new job with these hours and this pay and you want to be fair in asking your boss if he would be able to match it so you would stay... if he doesn't he understands you're leaving.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:25 pm
None of the details are relevant.

Just say thank you for the opportunity to work here. I found a new job and will be starting on x date. I am happy to train in someone new until then.

Leave on a good note and be professional. Feeling bad has no relevance in the work place just like your daycare is not your bosses concern.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:27 pm
Hi
I found something that is a better suited for me and my family:
Thank you so much for the oppurtunity to work here. I really enjoyed it. My last day will be ___.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:28 pm
newface34 wrote:
You tell your boss you love your job, you love the company but you did get offered a new job with these hours and this pay and you want to be fair in asking your boss if he would be able to match it so you would stay... if he doesn't he understands you're leaving.

I would not do this. He already gave her a big raise. At this point asking for a match is not a good idea. Generally speaking, asking your old company to match your new offer is looked down upon. They view you as disloyal and not invested. Take the new job. It seems like they will pay you better and the hours are better.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:29 pm
Just.Do. It. The sooner the better. Just say "Mr. Boss, it's been great working with you but I am sorry that I can no longer work the hours you need. B"H I've found a job with the hours I can handle and am starting in 5 weeks. I am telling you now so that you have time to find a replacement and can train him/her before I leave."

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:33 pm
"I'm afraid that I must resign my position. My last day will be Friday, September 29. I love my job here, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate everything you've done for me, including giving me a raise and remaining flexible throughout my maternity leave, etc. However, it's not fair to you to have an employee whose eye is on the clock each afternoon, and of course, I must balance the needs of my family with my work. I've enjoyed my time here very much and wish you and your staff the best."

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:34 pm
zaq wrote:
Just.Do. It. The sooner the better. Just say "Mr. Boss, it's been great working with you but I am sorry that I can no longer work the hours you need. B"H I've found a job with the hours I can handle and am starting in 5 weeks. I am telling you now so that you have time to find a replacement and can train him/her before I leave."

I like your way of saying it. Will that leave me on bad terms with my boss? Sounds a bit snobby. Also, because I know I'm leaving I've been really not that nice these days. It's going to add to add more gas to the existing flame.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
I like your way of saying it. Will that leave me on bad terms with my boss? Sounds a bit snobby. Also, because I know I'm leaving I've been really not that nice these days. It's going to add to add more gas to the existing flame.

It's not snobby, it's an adult statement being delivered by an adult and not a frightened girl. If your boss can't handle it, it is his problem. It's not like you haven't been around the block with him regarding hours and salary. As to the outward manifestations of your own feelings, not being nice, you are the only one who can control those. It's really unnecessary and rather immature.

(TY Zaq, that is what I was going to say and you beat me to it. GMTA)

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:52 pm
newface34 wrote:

Agreed.

Miri7

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:57 pm
I agree with MagentaYenta. Act professionally - by having a positive attitude, helping the company to train and transition a new person, getting your projects and things in order before you go.

This is business and you are not being snobby by taking a job that works better for you and your family. You are being a responsible adult. Businesspeople understand that.

So just be professional for the rest of your time at the old job and look forward to having better hours and pay at the new one.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:24 pm
newface34 wrote:

1) she already signed a contract. Too late to match.
2) in general, it doesn't work it well if u tell boss ur leaving unless..
even if he raises u.. the attitude won't be the same.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
Please Read:
I'm working at a job for 2.5 years from 9-5 and honestly I really love it (even though I make like 33K a year) My son's day care told me about a month ago that my son and one other kid would be the only 2 kids from 4-5pm. For a million reason (back and forth conversation) they decided to close the 4-5 program.
I told my boss about it while it was in the thought process that this might happen and he told me that I need to figure it out. My husband was thrilled with the idea of me not working til 5. He makes really nice money and wants me to bring up my kids (my life is dysfunctional with these hour and I have 2 kids and my husband work out of town)
The kind of person I am, I need to work. I also need to work and make nice money at the same time.
Getting back to my story- my boss is really annoyed. It's been 3 days and he can't handle that I leave early and giving attitude. He told me that I must work it out. I told him that I looked into it and most people want to charge me like $200-$250 for that hour and I also need to pay a daycare more to drop him off. I told him outright that I don't get paid enough to make arrangements and I can't afford to make those payments. Also I don't feel so appreciated enough to bend over backwards for him (no pay over yom tov, no bonuses, no overpay) and I work sometimes on Sunday, nights and chol hamoad because I feel like if I don't things will fall behind. The only time a felt something was when I had a baby 7 Months ago he bought me the Doona car seat.
Backstory- I had a baby 7 Months ago. While was pregnant I felt already then no appreciation and I felt then that I wanted a new job. Everyone was telling me that I need to wait til I have the baby to look into something else. (Mind you, the day I had my baby- it was my mid-winter vacation and my workmates were out. I went into labor on a Monday morning and I didn't want to go to work bit I knew no one was there so I went in. I was there all day until 5 and had a baby in the hospital at 9:30 that night).
8 weeks ago I was offered a new job. The hours are 10-4 41K a year. I went over to my boss and I told him that I need a raise (1st one) in order for it to be worth my while. He gave a me a ring raise and I agreed to stay. I didn't tell him that I was offered a new job. This new guy was begging for me so I told him that in order to make the switch I need 1K a week. I said it just to get him off my back. He called me an hour later that the job is mine. My husband was thrilled but I am so comfortablein my job I prefer not to leave. My husband really would like me to.
I met with the guy this past Sunday and signed contract. My first day will be after sukkos!
How do I tell my boss all this. He just raised me a month ago. I feel bad. I keep pushing it off?? Please help me!

Holy smokes. U make 33k and work 9-5.
Your offered a job for 52k and 10-4.

Good choice!

mommyhood

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:58 pm
Write a simple letter of resignation. Most companies like to have it in writing anyways and I find it easier to have the paper as a springboard for the conversation. Keep it simple, 'I am handing in my notice of resignation as of x date, I appreciate the experience and the opportunities this company has given me.' Don't explain or defend.
Good for you for finding a new job that pays more and seems to really want you. It's always nice to work for a place like that.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:04 pm
Be polite but don't grovel and don't make it too personal/
Boss != friend.
My husband made it sound like he "had" to quit a certain firm, and the guy kept trying to come up with solutions and stuff, not understanding. lol

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:22 pm
Let us know how the conversation with your boss went! Were all curious as to what the outcome was

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:41 pm
I can see that frum offices seem to have a different culture, but is that expected, that a boss will purchase a doona stroller for an employee who gives birth? That is not the norm in most workplaces I know.

cfriedman2

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:50 pm
I left my job after being employed there for 10 years bc I got a better offer elsewhere and I couldnt not take it.

I had to give notice on the phone bc my boss was going to be oot for a few days. I did it politely but direct. I told him I appreciated all that I learned from him and will always value our relationship but at this point in my life I have to take the offer I was being offered and my last day was going to be x. He did ask me the salary I was being offered which I told him, giving him the ability to match.

BH I am super happy in my new position and love the enviorment and the ppl I work with.

FaygieofLA

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:56 pm
Bosses love people like you.

You work hard, work unappreciated, are very dedicated, and take a low salary.

Many frum women work like that.

Good for you that you found something much better.

Sad for him that he is losing a great employee.

Stupid of him for not knowing how to keep a great worker like you.

finally...as the ad says: Just Do It.

Resign, offer to train a new person...and DON'T ACCEPT A COUNTEROFFER.

amother wrote:
Please Read:

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:59 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I can see that frum offices seem to have a different culture, but is that expected, that a boss will purchase a doona stroller for an employee who gives birth? That is not the norm in most workplaces I know.

OP here. I was very surprised when I got that. I though I would just get another blanket and pacifier holder. It was very generous of him. He knew that I wanted one and that I wasn't willing to pay the price. They are expensive especially that I had a great car seat already from when my son was a baby.
After that, I heard of bosses paying for a nurse for a week... craziness. I do believe that that was his way of telling me thank you and that I appreciate your work but I'm kind of excited with the new job and I can't wait to tell him I just never seem to find the right time to tell him. He has been in a bad mood the last couple of days...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics