Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Aupairs and holidays

drumjj

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 3:08 am
does anyone here have an aupair and if yes what do u do about giving them vacations? reason why im asking is because I have one and she (I think she is anyway)totally walking all over me. she told me she wants to go home for xmas fine but she wants two weeks off which coincide with my kids school holidays and I dont think this is fair esp seen as im her boss. she is in college and thinks she can rule her life by her college time table which I think is ridiculous when im her employer. does anyone have any ideas?

technic

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 3:16 am
I gave u my idea yesterday!!! Tongue Out

Marion

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 5:37 am
It is not unreasonable for her to "expect" a certain amount of time off, depending on how much time she gives you (is she full time or part?). It is also not particularly unreasonable for her to assume that she can have the holiday period off. Let's face it, most of the world has a much lighter schedule that time of year...even your kids are off school. It might not be convenient but I don't think it sounds like she's "walking all over you".

If the timing is a real problem work out a compromise. Let her know you were counting on her being available, but be willing to give her a full week off, including x-mas Eve and x-mas Day.

MOST students rule their lives by their school schedules; what she's doing isn't unreasonable or unexpected.

drumjj

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 6:32 am
actually after speaking to the agency where she is from she is totally walking all over me they said that there is no reason she should have two weeks holiday off over the x-mas period and most ppl require their aupairs to be home for the first or second of jan and not the seventh as mine wants to be. she has already been home twice in teh past five months. has just asked me for four days off in a weeks time and doesnt even work her full five hours a day that she is supposed to because she totally takes advantage of me and she argues with me all the time.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 6:55 am
And you let her take care of your kids???? She's not behaving in a responsible, mature manner, how can she know what to do with your children? Or, is she just there for housework?

anuta

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 10:15 am
I have an au pair (through an agency), and there are very definitive rules about time off through the agency. I think these rules are actually her visa rules.

Yes, you are her employer. She is entitled to 2 weeks vacation (but no other holidays off, I.e. american and jewish holidays, if she wants to take time off, she can take her vacation days).

I have a manual I wrote of the rules for our au pair. We mutually agree on her vacation, and she has to give advance notice. If we cannot agree, I pick one week of her vacation, she picks when the second week will be.

anuta

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 10:17 am
By the way, our au pair has an au pair visa; taking 6 credits of classes is a requirement, but her primary job is au pair, not a student. And the classess she takes have to mesh with MY schedule of when I want her to work.

anuta

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 10:18 am
drumjj,

If you have her through an agency, you can request to change an au pair, get a different girl... ask you local coordinator.

drumjj

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 11:16 am
thanks anuta I am going to look for a new one because this one stresses me out.
for all the other posts I didnt post this to get a bashing about how I raise my children I was just looking for someone who might have an aupair and how they work holidays.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 2:19 pm
when else would a college girl take a vacation ... on a holiday ... so it makes sense

but for all the other reasons - I.e. not getting along with her and fighting ... please send her a packin' ...

and for the next one create a schedule in advance - so there are no surprises for either of you ...

good luck Drunken Smile

drumjj

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 5:02 pm
yes but to get the point correct here her main thing of being in england is working for me not going to college college is a side issue that she is doing in her spare time if she really wanted to go to college she can go get a job elsewhere which she is going to have to do anyway
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry