Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lamplighters Chabad Montessori Crown Heights
1  2  Next

Water Stones

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 9:48 pm
I posted in Lubavitch section, but not many people go there to see my question. So I post here instead.

Do any of you send your children to Lamplighters Montessori Chabad day school on President Street?

I'm thinking to the close future to have a plan for this.

Do you like it?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:42 pm
I don't send there, but as an educator I'm impressed with what I see. I do know that other established schools have sent some of their teachers there for workshops / training.

marina

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 2:21 am
the parents I've known were very pleased.

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:36 am
There is a poster who was very involved with the school - even her screen name is lamplighter! She doesn't seem to post much anymore, but maybe if you PM her she'd receive it?

chag334

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:43 am
My husband is a rebbe there!!! What are your questions? It has a lot of strengths and is a very unique and transparent school. They have a LOT of integrity and sincerity in how they operate. Never a late paycheck (a chiddush in our day and age), every inch of the school is video recorded and constantly monitored for educational and safety purposes... Very mission driven. What specifically do you want to know?

chag334

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:45 am
It's quite expensive with Minimal scholarships/financial aid and the waiting list is extensive. They prefer to start kids at 3 or 4 years old so they are integrated into the Montessori style of learning. Of course kids come in later as well but it's harder to get in at an older age.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 8:54 am
we don't send there but we do send to a frum montessouri program so can talk about the montessouri aspect- our daughter really thrived there after going to a mainstream school first and was even looking forward to going back to school this year!

Water Stones

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 8:21 pm
chag334 wrote:
It's quite expensive with Minimal scholarships/financial aid and the waiting list is extensive. They prefer to start kids at 3 or 4 years old so they are integrated into the Montessori style of learning. Of course kids come in later as well but it's harder to get in at an older age.

My daughter will be 2 in March. I saw the tuition is expensive, but dh and I have a plan to do the tuition. This is time to get information for when she get to age 3. I see there's a waiting list. But we really like the school and what they teach and how they teach.

Water Stones

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 8:41 pm
chag334 wrote:
My husband is a rebbe there!!! What are your questions? It has a lot of strengths and is a very unique and transparent school. They have a LOT of integrity and sincerity in how they operate. Never a late paycheck (a chiddush in our day and age), every inch of the school is video recorded and constantly monitored for educational and safety purposes... Very mission driven. What specifically do you want to know?

What language is used to teach the children? My daughter speaks baby English and baby Danish. My mil only speaks to her in Yiddish so for her to learn. But by time she is 3 she will speak some Yiddish. She learning fast the languages.

May mother's be allowed to drive?
May we have internet at home and smart phones?
May I wear a tichel instead of wig?
We're frum and Tzniut and shomer negiah and kosher.

How go they feel about working husbands who work but learn early morning and every night st 770?

Who do they not accept so I can be able to see if that matches my family?

We want strong Jewish studies as well as some secular.

Will we fit in? I don't work, but I do take in seamstress work for neighbors when I have time.

We are Chabad Lubavitch.
Thank you

Water Stones

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 8:51 pm
Is this Rivka and Moshe Schack school?

Water Stones

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 8:54 pm
sequoia wrote:
There is a poster who was very involved with the school - even her screen name is lamplighter! She doesn't seem to post much anymore, but maybe if you PM her she'd receive it?

I'll try that

chag334

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 9:05 pm
I am PMing you

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 9:14 pm
Another Montessori mom here - I sent to a different school so I can't answer your questions, but I think it's great that you are considering a Montessori school! I hope you find the best fit for your child and your family.

SYA

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 10:59 pm
Seashells wrote:
Is this Rivka and Moshe Schack school?

yes

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 12:04 am
Seashells wrote:
What language is used to teach the children? My daughter speaks baby English and baby Danish. My mil only speaks to her in Yiddish so for her to learn. But by time she is 3 she will speak some Yiddish. She learning fast the languages.

How go they feel about working husbands who work but learn early morning and every night st 770?

Will we fit in? I don't work, but I do take in seamstress work for neighbors when I have time.

We are Chabad Lubavitch.
Thank you

This is Crown Heights not Kiryas Joel, of course all this is fine
Tichel to pick up and drop off, probably not
If I could afford it I would send my kids there

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 12:05 am
How much is this school? I am curious... what is "expensive"?

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 12:10 am
Do they really have kinderlach lighting lamps there? Sounds kinda dangerous for youngins to be playing with fire...

oliveoil

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 12:20 am
Seashells wrote:

We are Chabad Lubavitch.
Thank you

It is strange that you ask these questions when you live in Crown Heights.

These would not be issues at any local school.

(except perhaps the tichel at one or two schools. and it would only be about wearing it to the actual school.)

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 12:25 am
amother wrote:
Do they really have kinderlach lighting lamps there? Sounds kinda dangerous for youngins to be playing with fire...

I can't tell if you're serious or not, but it refers to ignighting Jewish souls.

You can read more about it here: http://www.chabad.org/search/k.....e.htm

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 5:54 am
Seashells wrote:

We are Chabad Lubavitch.
Thank you

Are you lubavitch? Do you live in Crown heights? Do you interact with people there? there is no stigma against working husbands in crown heights afaik. shock Or driving women. Or smart phones. The only thing on your list that is applicable is the tichel.

My vague impression of lamplighters is that the parent body tend to be slightly to the liberal side of things and in that case tichels are probably fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics