Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why are people in the US more nervous about

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 6:43 pm
eclipses than hurricanes?

There was so much talk on here about eclipses and just a few short posts about the impending huge hurricane...

I know it's only affecting a small part of the population, but still.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:11 pm
You answered your own question with your last sentence.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 7:43 am
I'm still so weirded out about people afraid of an eclipse. We had one 15 years ago in Europe. Nothing happened.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 8:34 am
Because hurricanes occur every year, in multiples,whereas eclipses are visible only once in a while. And because hurricanes affect only coastal areas whereas the eclipse was visible across the country. Although I didn't see that people were "nervous" about the eclipse. Intrigued, excited, curious, yes, but nervous? Not that I could tell. Except on imamother. Draw your own conclusions.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 8:39 am
95% of the eclipse fear was ignorance based.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 8:41 am
zaq wrote:
Because hurricanes occur every year, in multiples,whereas eclipses are visible only once in a while. And because hurricanes affect only coastal areas whereas the eclipse was visible across the country. Although I didn't see that people were "nervous" about the eclipse. Intrigued, excited, curious, yes, but nervous? Not that I could tell. Except on imamother. Draw your own conclusions.

There has never been a hurricane like this one.

And yeah, I'm referring only to imamother. Many threads of nervous mothers because their kid's counselor might by mistake allow their kid to glance at the sun for a split second...

cm

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 9:24 am
Plenty of people are very, very worried about the hurricanes this season. However, as the hurricanes are not directly affecting the greater NYC metro area, you won't hear about it very much on Imamother.

IRL I didn't hear about that much anxiety related to the eclipse. Either you got appropriate eyewear and looked, or you didn't. With counterfeit eclipse glasses coming on the market, many chose not to take chances. Some less-well-informed but conscientious and caring mothers came to Imamother for information and support, which is what this site is for.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 9:50 am
I dont think hardly anyone really worried about eclipses. Also, they are so infrequent. The overwhelming majority of people don't live in hurricane prone areas, so most people don't worry about that either. I guess I'm saying I don't think either is a major concern for most people.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 9:53 am
Also, the timing of eclipses are known well in advance. The media was making a big deal about this one months before.

There is much less warning for hurricanes. Maybe a week? Less, depending on location.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 10:29 am
I was excited about the eclipse, but not nervous.

I'm upset about the devastation that this hurricane has already wrought, and the human toll. I cry when I see photos of Barbuda and St. Marten. I'm glad that my friend in St. Kitts is safe, and worried about our babysitter's daughter, who is in Puerto Rico. I'm worried about my friends -- and everyone -- in Florida. I'm proud and impressed by the Atlanta community that has opened its doors to evacuees. And I'm giving what I can.

But I'm not in the path of the storms. There's really nothing I can do to prevent harm, other than daven (which I am). What's to talk about?

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 10:40 am
The media wasn't nervous, only excited. Only the people here on Imamother were nervous. Because parents were worried their kids will look up at the sun.... You can't tell a kid not to look and expect them NOT to look. :-) Most people here aren't in the areas where the hurricanes is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics