Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you tell your child's teachers about health issues?
1  2  Next

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 6:52 pm
Okay, I should have asked this yesterday, before I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble, but here goes.

If your child has a medical history/diagnosis/health issue/whatnot that only affects them in a very minor way in school, do you inform the teacher?

Why or why not?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:38 pm
Yes-especially if it does affect them.
My child's teacher spends more time with my child during the week than I do, it's important for them to be aware of things.

(One child on medication for ADHD and another child with food sensitivities.)

simba

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:40 pm
Yes, unless you have a convincing reason not to.

simcha2

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:42 pm
Of course. And it's on their health form that is required by the state, so the school has the info anyway.

Optione

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 7:42 pm
Yes!!!

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 9:24 pm
Absolutely. How did you "get yourself in trouble?"

Even minor health issues can sometimes come through in school participation so it's important for the teacher to know that something may be going on under the surface. Sometimes poor concentration or behavior can be the first symptom of something flaring up. Sometimes it can be a side effect and if the teacher doesn't know then they will think the child is misbehaving out of chutzpah or something. There are just so many reasons a teacher should know! Like amother Puce said, the teachers spend a lot more quality time with your kids than you do.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 10:20 pm
seeker wrote:
Absolutely. How did you "get yourself in trouble?"

OP here. The teacher freaked out.

It wasn't like oh she has adhd or asthma and takes meds. It was more along the lines of she had cancer last year. Not that, but close example I can think of.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. The teacher freaked out.

It wasn't like oh she has adhd or asthma and takes meds. It was more along the lines of she had cancer last year. Not that, but close example I can think of.

Yes. The teacher should absolutely know this.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 10:25 pm
I think the freaking out is the teacher's problem. Is she very young? Very old? Teachers should be able to handle these kinds of things. I had a whole pack of disclosures for my kids' teachers over the years and while I definitely had some who were more anxious than others, they were all much better off informed than not.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 10:26 pm
It's also relevant if it affected her school experience - like in your not-exactly-but-similar example of "she had cancer last year" well if that means she missed a lot of school and may have gaps in her knowledge or may need help getting back in with the social groups or may have anxiety about certain things... I don't know, there's no end to situations that can happen where a little background insight can make a big difference in a teacher's ability to understand and deal with a situation.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 10:29 pm
seeker wrote:
I think the freaking out is the teacher's problem. Is she very young? Very old? Teachers should be able to handle these kinds of things. I had a whole pack of disclosures for my kids' teachers over the years and while I definitely had some who were more anxious than others, they were all much better off informed than not.

Teacher's very young. And it's preschool, her first year in school.

In hindsight I should have thought more carefully about exactly how to inform her. Maybe like a typed up note explaining in really simple language a little of her history and how it may affect her. Instead of scribbled on the bottom of the "getting to know you" form.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 10:31 pm
OK, lesson learned. I'm sure everyone will be fine IY"H.

lucky14

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:02 pm
I think that's really not professional if she really "freaked out" about this (to you at least). Sorry for you that she reacted like that.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:08 pm
I run a school. I have to tell you that it is very important to know if there's any medical condition or if there is anything going on in the house (divorce , new baby etc.)
I cannot stress enough about it at one time have a student that it was having issues and then I realize the parents were not living in the same house. The mother told me that you didn't think it was important for me to know so she didn't tell me so I said of course it's important I won't treat him any different but it's good to take it into account

anonymrs

Post Thu, Sep 07 2017, 11:38 pm
I think you did fine. If it's not a current, ongoing issue, it was responsible that you let her know but it didn't necessarily have to be such a big deal. Teacher could have been a bit less panicky but if she's young, I do understand that she was concerned about the responsibility. But if you know your child is ok and not so effected by it, I think it's ok.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:18 am
My neighbor's kid has a heart condition. You'd never know other than she's small for her age. She doesn't hide the info. There are all sorts of complications, big and small that could arise and the teacher must be aware of that.
The real issue is the teacher freaking out. Did she expect every kid in her care to have a perfect health and family history?
I think a teacher should expect a health issue and a couple behavioral issues from their class each year.
The correct response should be to call the mom and get even footing for a successful year.

happyone

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 8:26 am
I've always waited until after sukkos to say anything so teachers should get know my child as an individual FIRST and not treat him differently . I want him accwpted and treated equally to hus peers. Of course the principal is aware in event of an emergency .

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
I run a school. I have to tell you that it is very important to know if there's any medical condition or if there is anything going on in the house (divorce , new baby etc.)
I cannot stress enough about it at one time have a student that it was having issues and then I realize the parents were not living in the same house. The mother told me that you didn't think it was important for me to know so she didn't tell me so I said of course it's important I won't treat him any different but it's good to take it into account

You are right! My parents divorced when I was eleven. My mother never told my highschool that they were divorced. When I told a teacher of mine that I was struggling because of it they were shocked and had no idea!! It bothers me until this day.
I also had a foot injury and was on crutches. I couldn't use the stairs and they did not allow students to use the elevator. Only after a neighbor found out that I was using crutches up four flights of stairs did she go down and get permission for me to use he elevator. My mother didn't find the need to tell them anything. It is extremely important to keep teachers and the school in the loop on ANY changes, family situations, health etc. OP you did the right thing by telling the teacher. The teacher should not have freaked out.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 9:47 am
Iymnok wrote:
My neighbor's kid has a heart condition. You'd never know other than she's small for her age. She doesn't hide the info. There are all sorts of complications, big and small that could arise and the teacher must be aware of that.
The real issue is the teacher freaking out. Did she expect every kid in her care to have a perfect health and family history?
I think a teacher should expect a health issue and a couple behavioral issues from their class each year.
The correct response should be to call the mom and get even footing for a successful year.

OP here, thanks for this. This is exactly the issue. I asked for some very, very minor accommodations to be made based on her history. And it's like they had a heart attack. Sending this kid off to school for the first time in her life was nerve-wracking enough for me as it is, all I really wanted was reassurance that they understand and will take good care of her. Instead I got a phonecall that made it sound like they don't want to deal with it. I feel like I should have just kept my mouth shut.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 11:11 am
Nope. It's private. Unless it's relevant
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics