Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Tiny crockpot cholent

Lizajen

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 10:57 am
My family likes to eat cholent on shabbos, as do I, but they eat such a small amount. I finally bought a 1 qt crockpot, and the last few weeks have been trying to make it in there, but my beans come out so hard. Any exact recipes for such a small pot, or ideas? Thanx.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 11:08 am
Put it up raw right before shabbos and allow it to cook on low. If you're using 1/4 pkg beans and 2.5 tablespoons barley, make sure that there's also room for 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups water.

Lizajen

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 11:30 am
Thanx, but it only has one temperature, no knob to make it high or low.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 1:58 pm
Lizajen wrote:
Thanx, but it only has one temperature, no knob to make it high or low.

That could be the issue. What does the on button say? The user manual might say what it's set to, though I suspect that it is high.
I bought a manual dial 1.5 quart for my mom and made sure it had low and high options since we generally leave our food over shabbos and while we're at work on low. She used it for a couple of years and has loved it. Then she realized she wanted a warm setting too, so I bought another one for her as well which she's really been enjoying too. I think that was was 1 quart? I don't remember exactly. They're less than $15 and if you get good use out of them they're so worthwhile to have with the right features.

SingALong

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 4:31 pm
Try soaking your beans from the night before. That helps make it softer.

Also maybe you want to try cooking up your beans beforehand so it will be softer before shabbos. It could've the amount of water that fits in the crockpot isn't enough to soften the beans overnight...

cbg

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 7:02 pm
Are you sure it's made to cook in, not just melt.
I once got, as a gift, a mini crockpot that was specifically for melting cheese and chocolate for fondue. It said not meant for cooking in the instruction manual.

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 08 2017, 9:23 pm
Used canned beans

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 5:40 pm
Lizajen, did you check the manual to see what temperature your crockpot cooks at when it's on?
I wanted to check back in and post the link to the mini crockpot with all the temperature settings.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1
You inspired me to buy one for myself, so my daughter can enjoy her soup while my dh has his cholent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics