Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
One of Us (new documentary about ex-Chassidish ppl)
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:13 pm
Credit cards and cnc,
I totally hear your point. It doesn't negate that my experience of people with mental illness suffered trauma.
I, by definition, am looking only at those who have had that gene turned on, according to what you are saying.

This discussion was so interesting. I hope others have gained as much as I have.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:14 pm
amother wrote:
This entire discussion was worth it for me to have read this question.
I don't know the answer, but I intend to find out eventually.
It will really help me in my career. Thank you!

What do you do?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:
Credit cards and cnc,
I totally hear your point. It doesn't negate that my experience of people with mental illness suffered trauma.
I, by definition, am looking only at those who have had that gene turned on, according to what you are saying.

There are lots of logical leaps here.

You've experienced that people with medical illness have trauma - does not equal all medical illness is connected to trauma.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
There are lots of logical leaps here.

It's possible. This is all speculation anyways. Nothing was proven. It's just a discussion. I feel like I gained tremendously from it, and it has given me a lot of food for thought.

I believe that I wrote that this was based on my personal experience originally.

penguin

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:19 pm
I believe that there may a genetic predisposition to certain illnesses, and this is true of heart disease and diabetes as well as many types of mental illness.

Then the influence of environment may cause the illness to come forth, whether because of lifestyle choices or circumstances, including dysfunctional parenting, trauma etc. Some people are more resilient and can go through similar difficulties but some will become ill (heart disease or depression) but others will cope well. Partly because of genetics are partly because of choices they have made to maintain their health physically and emotionally.

Still, once symptoms begin to present, each person has the choice of making further healthy lifestyle choices, whether diet, exercise, therapy etc, or letting the illness take its course. If a person is able to recognize that they have unhealthy behavior patterns, they may seek help and work to heal. Or, they may expect their family to accept their unhealthy personality.

For example, look up Dr Martin Seligman's studies and books on depression and "Happiness is a Choice". I don't know if he studies other types of mental illness.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
What do you do?

For at least the next few years, I get paid to learn and practice. Sometimes I also pay to learn. Some of my practicing is also volunteer work.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:24 pm
amother wrote:
For at least the next few years, I get paid to learn and practice. Sometimes I also pay to learn. Some of my practicing is also volunteer work.

Practice what?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
Practice what?

Why?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
Why?

I asked what you do - and you answered 'practice'. Didn't really answer the question. I asked initially because I wondered how my question about the connection between trauma and PPD was going to help you.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:
I asked what you do - and you answered 'practice'. Didn't really answer the question. I asked initially because I wondered how my question about the connection between trauma and PPD was going to help you.

Fair enough. Your question sparked a bunch of other questions, that really helped me in my long term plan. Yes, what I do is practice, and learn right now.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:
Fair enough. Your question sparked a bunch of other questions, that really helped me in my long term plan. Yes, what I do is practice, and learn right now.

Okay. Well good luck practicing.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:

Are you practicing as a social worker or a therapist?

crust

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:40 pm
Floralwhite I cant agree more with you.
I also love what Seqouia said.

I do believe there are some mental diseases which are genetically inherited.
The vast majority of diagnosis are not made with the full picture of the patient's history though. They are made mechanically, based on symptoms rather than seeing the cause.

Are we on one page regarding this? Im curious.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:44 pm
crust wrote:
Floralwhite I cant agree more with you.
I also love what Seqouia said.

I do believe there are some mental diseases which are genetically inherited.
The vast majority of diagnosis are not made with the full picture of the patient's history though. They are made mechanically, based on symptoms rather than seeing the cause.

Are we on one page regarding this? Im curious.

Diagnosis of disease doesn't require an investigation of cause.

Causation may be helpful in the curing process.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:

Did you read sequoia's post about C-ptsd? That's just one example of an easy misdiagnosis in mental health.

crust

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:

Why?

crust

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
Did you read sequoia's post about C-ptsd? That's just one example of an easy misdiagnosis in mental health.

Exactly.
And its just one.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 12:01 am
crust wrote:
Why?

Because it doesn't - by definition.

Diagnosis is the identification of the nature of an illness or other problem by examination of the symptoms.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 12:07 am
amother wrote:

Not sure of your point. misdiagnosis happens across all branches of medicine.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 12:19 am
Certain mental illnesses are more neurologically based. Such as bipolar or schizophrenia. In such cases it often makes no difference if the person was brought up securely or in a dysfunctional environment.

Personality disorders are more a product of environment. Early trauma or separation from a primary attachment or a chaotic attachment all lead to a child developing a personality disorder.

In both cases predisposition plays a part. But one is more neurological and the other more attachment based.
Page 12 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics