Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Bunk bed advice + Anyone used bunkbedking?
1  2  Next

L K

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:54 pm
They have a particular bed at a big discount on a limited time sale now. Anyone used them?

I've never used a bunk bed.
Whoever has one, any cons for this model?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:59 pm
Do you have to assemble it and buy the mattresses separately?
Sometimes it's cheaper and easier to purchase from someone locally who will take care of it all.

L K

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 12:55 am
I would assemble it myself, like I always do. Putting together IKEA stuff is my hobby lol.

Someone told me locally they bought a bunk bed with trundle for $1100. So I doubt I can get a good price in a real store.
I've been considering IKEA bed and just saw this one from bunkbedking on a good sale, plus it come with a trundle (IKEA is cheaper but charges a lot for shipping).

smilealot

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 4:33 am
I also enjoy assembling the ikea stuff. Lol.
I like that bunk bed because A its wooden- the metal ones creak and B it's got an extra one underneath for sleepovers.
Make sure you have length space in your room because the ladder is at the head.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:52 am
L K wrote:
I would assemble it myself, like I always do. Putting together IKEA stuff is my hobby lol.

Someone told me locally they bought a bunk bed with trundle for $1100. So I doubt I can get a good price in a real store.
I've been considering IKEA bed and just saw this one from bunkbedking on a good sale, plus it come with a trundle (IKEA is cheaper but charges a lot for shipping).

$1,100 probably included 3 mattresses and assembly.

myself

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:17 am
One of the cons for me would be the position of the ladder. Does this layout work for the intended placement?

dina125

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:16 am
I actuallly got something similar from bunk bed king - https://www.bunkbedking.com/co.....honey

I paid someone to assemble it to me. So far I'm very happy with it. I like the ladder in that position, since it doesn't take away room from the child on the lower bunk - more open. And I like the tall one also because enough room for me to sit on the lower bunk (I'm on the shorter side). It seems really strong (I can't move it at all now that it's assembled) and I was able to use the regular twin mattresses (8 inch) that I had before. It also has a lot of slats to hold the mattresses and don't need bunkie boards. Also, I should note when it was first assembled, there was a strong pine smell, but I didn't mind that. Eventually it wore off though. The assembler told me that pine wood is prone to nicks, since it is a softer wood, but so far it seems fine (we had it around 6 months I'd estimate). In general, I think it's a very good and economical choice. Hatzlacha!

L K

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:34 am
Dina125, do you think with an 8' ceiling a kid would be able to sit on the top bunk of the tall bed? I'd love to be able to sit on the bottom bunk but looks like top kid wouldbump his/her head on the ceiling.

dina125

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:59 am
In the room I have it, with approx 8 inch mattresses,the area above the mattress of the top bunk (approx 35-36 inches) is a little more than the area between the bottom mattress & slats on top (approx 29-30 inches), so I think it's ok.

Measurements listed are which should help you get a better idea-

Total bunk bed external dimensions are approx 69 high x 83 1/2 long x 43 1/2 inches deep. Bottom bunk is approx 10 1/2 inches off the floor - space between bottom bunk slats and top bunk slats (excluding the mattress) is approx 38 inches.

The slats for the top bunk according to measurements should be approx 10.5+38=48.5+ height of mattress, so with an 8 inch mattress, it should be something like 57 inches and if the ceiling is at 96 inches (8 ft), I think there should be plenty of room on top.

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 10:52 am
The one thing I did not like about bunk beds that I found it very difficult to make the top bunk neat when the bed was made if the bed is against the wall. It annoyed me so much that I separated the beds when I had room.

If you are into having a bed neatly made do consider that. If this is the only way to have the amount of beds you need then it is not so important.

L K

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 2:52 pm
Thank you for the tips. I hear about the making bed factor. I guess I'll have to live with it, just hoping I'll be able to make it to the far corner lol.

Does anyone have a shorter bunk bed (61", with about 32" between top and bottom slats)?
It's is the one on a very good sale now. I am concerned if it's going to be very inconvenient for kids on lower bunk.
Any advice on that?

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 3:19 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
The one thing I did not like about bunk beds that I found it very difficult to make the top bunk neat when the bed was made if the bed is against the wall. It annoyed me so much that I separated the beds when I had room.

If you are into having a bed neatly made do consider that. If this is the only way to have the amount of beds you need then it is not so important.

That's the part I'm not looking forward to, but so far I can't think of another way to arrange the room nicely... so I'll just have to live with it and maybe not change the linens very often Tongue Out (I know that's a very sensitive topic here Wink )

I also worry a little about the top kid stumbling if they wake up in middle of the night needing the bathroom. Or if they are sick and need mothering. And she always wants me to lie with her when she goes to sleep... sigh.

I was originally leaning toward getting a trundle bed but it seems that those are not usually used for everyday unless you plan on leaving it out for days at a time, which would make my floor space un-navigable.

L K

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 3:40 pm
Are there any cons of a higher bed? Like it being even harder to change linen, or uncomfortable for the kid on top.

This way I won't have regrets about getting a shorter one lol.
I just want to get the bed already!

Btw, with a shorter bed trill what age would you say it's comfortable?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 3:47 pm
We had shorter bunk beds growing up. The adults can't sit upright on the bed when tucking in the child. There was also no room underneath for a trundle or high riser. They couldn't separate into 2 separate beds properly either (I don't know if the style you were looking has that issue.) They were kind of cozy though. Smile
We have a tall bunk bed now and really like it. As long as it works with your ceiling height, go for it. I once had an adult guest sleep on the bottom in a pinch.
I have room underneath for a pull out high riser when I'm ready to add that. If I decide to later on I can also separate the beds into 2 beds at full height with built in headboard/footboard. Can also put them in separate rooms with high riser pull outs under each one.

L K

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 5:46 pm
Ra_mom, how much clearance is comfortable from top bunk to ceiling?
I have 8' ceilings.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 6:53 pm
L K wrote:
Ra_mom, how much clearance is comfortable from top bunk to ceiling?
I have 8' ceilings.

We have 9' ceilings and there's lots of room. We used to have 7' ceilings and it was tight but my petite daughter was able to sit comfortably, though not stand.

L K

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 10:19 pm
Ok so I'm now totally confused. I understand 8' ceilings are ok for short or tall beds.

Some online guides claim that 31.5" clearance between the bunks, which translates into about 23.5" once you put in the mattress - are good for toddlers or small kids. So the clearance being so small is it only meant to last like a few years, btw toddlerhood and say 5 years of age? Can an older kid even sit and read on a lower bunk?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 10:22 pm
L K wrote:
Ok so I'm now totally confused. I understand 8' ceilings are ok for short or tall beds.

Some online guides claim that 31.5" clearance between the bunks, which translates into about 23.5" once you put in the mattress - are good for toddlers or small kids. So the clearance being so small is it only meant to last like a few years, btw toddlerhood and say 5 years of age? Can an older kid even sit and read on a lower bunk?

With 8' ceilings they'll be able to sit comfortably even when they're older.

dina125

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 10:51 pm
I went for the tall bunkbeds for that reason - when kids are older, I want the lower bunk to still work well for them. Do you have any people you know in real life with bunk beds that you can take a look at to get a better idea of heights?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 10:59 pm
My bunkbeds can be set to lower height, but then 3rd bed doesn't fit underneath but it's interchangeable.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics