Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is this a normal amount of spending money for lsrael?
Previous  1  2

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:32 pm
Why don't you ask him what he is buying?
There is shampoo, soap, deoderant, toothpaste, a fan/heater, cell phone, sefarim a lot of beginner expenses.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:59 pm
I gave my son a budget of $200 a month, and he is constantly calling and saying he needs more money. I'm not really sure why... the yeshiva gives three meals a day, and how much toothpaste do you really need?

It seems like the other boys spend more than that... obviously it depends on your standards, but I know that my son and most of the other boys, buy a lot of take-out.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:21 pm
My son took his initial supply of shampoo, deodorant etc with him

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:
My son took his initial supply of shampoo, deodorant etc with him

Oops, you're right! So did mine!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 8:49 am
Food in Israel is very expensive. Also, the food the school provides isn't always good. For many teens it is their first real independence and they like to go out with their friends.

if they can't cap the spending, they should get a job if possible.

(I used to babysit and clean, my parents gave me no money at all)

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
Food in Israel is very expensive. Also, the food the school provides isn't always good. For many teens it is their first real independence and they like to go out with their friends.

(I used to babysit and clean, my parents gave me no money at all)

Boys are more limited in the jobs they can get - first of all, they don't have any free time, and second of all, there are very few jobs that are appropriate for a yeshiva bochur.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:20 am
amother wrote:

If the boy is here on a student visa, as is typically the case for yeshiva (and other) students who aren't Israeli citizens, he is not allowed to work here.

http://embassies.gov.il/montre.....px#a2

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:27 am
amother wrote:
The Yeshiva is giving theee meals a day. On Friday I saw he went to a restaurant and spent close to $30.00
He needs to take busses to get around.

Expenses are always higher at the beginning of the year. Its not just sefarim and supplies. Its the fact that they're getting used to being on their own for the first time.

Thursday night is usually a free night. And yes, the boys go out. And yes, they eat out. And yes, they drink. And yes, sometimes one boy puts it on his card and his friends venmo cash to him.

IIRC, we started out at about $200 / month, then upped it to $250 to $300. But that included transportation (DS was not in Yerushalayim) and bringing something for out Shabbats.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 10:41 am
maybe just give him a budget of $250 a month and make him keep to it. I was in seminary ten years ago with $150 budget and it really wasn't enough and I was not eating out. every little thing costs money and then you split the taxi with your friend, buy an ice coffee or just some rugelach for yeshiva bochurim it just adds up.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics