Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone move back to america from Israel to OOT community?

DB12

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 4:13 am
We are strongly thinking about moving back to America for a variety of reasons. ( ive been here for over ten years) and we are researching communities. Has anyone moved back who can share what was expected/unexpexted.. challenges.. adjustments?
Please note: I really am not looking for mussar and to be told I should appreciate living in EY. I am very appreicative but we feel moving back is the right move for us due to cultural differences ( huge), parnassah ooportunities ( husband doesnt speak hebrew) chinuch ( we dont fit into the boxes here .. but in america we do much more, and housing. Meaning, we will never be able to put a down payment on an apartment in israel in a community that is hashkafically mateem while in america, we could. Also, we want to be more accesible to family. I am very glad that so many jews are finding thier place here, but we arent.. so please no mussar.. we just want to find out how it went for other people so we can continue doing more research and make informed decisions!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 6:10 am
Seattle has a large Israeli Sephardi community. Look into congregation Ezra Bessaroth, and talk to Rabbi Meyers. Lovely community, and I miss them terribly! Very warm and welcoming.

On the downside, rent in that area is hard to find, and not cheap. If you're looking to buy, contact http://kentswigard.com/ and tell them Yocheved sent you.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:14 am
We moved last year to Chicago and doing well.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:06 am
DB12 wrote:
We are strongly thinking about moving back to America for a variety of reasons. ( ive been here for over ten years) and we are researching communities. Has anyone moved back who can share what was expected/unexpexted.. challenges.. adjustments?
Please note: I really am not looking for mussar and to be told I should appreciate living in EY. I am very appreicative but we feel moving back is the right move for us due to cultural differences ( huge), parnassah ooportunities ( husband doesnt speak hebrew) chinuch ( we dont fit into the boxes here .. but in america we do much more, and housing. Meaning, we will never be able to put a down payment on an apartment in israel in a community that is hashkafically mateem while in america, we could. Also, we want to be more accesible to family. I am very glad that so many jews are finding thier place here, but we arent.. so please no mussar.. we just want to find out how it went for other people so we can continue doing more research and make informed decisions!

We moved to Baltimore and it has been a smooth transition

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:58 am
We moved from EY to Cincinnati. I think that worked out well, as it was a very low-key, no-high pressure, non materialistic place to live. A nice landing place. Some would think it would be shocking to go from living in an area with such a high Jewish presence to one with such a low presence, but its lack of materiality and pressure actually made it a wise choice.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 10:18 am
Where are you from originally?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 3:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Seattle has a large Israeli Sephardi community. Look into congregation Ezra Bessaroth, and talk to Rabbi Meyers. Lovely community, and I miss them terribly! Very warm and welcoming.

On the downside, rent in that area is hard to find, and not cheap. If you're looking to buy, contact http://kentswigard.com/ and tell them Yocheved sent you.

It's gotten much worse since you left. Housing prices have skyrocketed and there's a shortage of apartments and houses in the city. Property and sales taxes have gone up a lot. I would not recommend someone moving here unless they have a well-paying job lined up already. I hate to say it cause I love it, but it is what it is.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
We moved from EY to Cincinnati. I think that worked out well, as it was a very low-key, no-high pressure, non materialistic place to live. A nice landing place. Some would think it would be shocking to go from living in an area with such a high Jewish presence to one with such a low presence, but its lack of materiality and pressure actually made it a wise choice.

If you like OOT, Cinci could be a good option for you.

go to
http://www.frumcincinnati.com/

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 7:21 pm
Dallas had a lot of Americans that have moved back from ey, very warm and welcoming
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating