Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Did someone steal my child's Social Security number???

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:11 am
Looking for info please -

Short version = it seems like someone claimed one of my kids as a dependent on their taxes. No clue who, we're the birth parents, child lives with us full time, no divorce/custody involved...basically, legally, we are the only ones who should be claiming her.

Longer version = We were notified a while back that our federal tax return was under review. It seemed odd, especially because it was taking sooo long, but when I called I was told that the best they could do was fill out something at their end that would hopefully nudge the review along. In the meantime the state return showed up - for less than we expected. OK, maybe we made a math error or something? But, nope, the state tax people told me that we lost a dependent off our taxes because someone had already filed for one of them.

?!?!?!

We're getting the paperwork together to file an appeal for that. Depending on what happens with that we may be advised to get an added security number to use on our taxes (to flag that we're the real ones with that number, I think). In the meantime I'm worried what it might mean. The NY state person I spoke to said it didn't necessarily mean that a fraud had occurred, but still...

On my "to-do" list for this week is to contact the federal tax guys and see if that's the hold up there, and what I need to do at their end. I checked online for credit reports on my child, and didn't find any, which I guess means no one has opened any credit cards or taken any loans out with that social security number.

Have any of you dealt with this? How would they have gotten a kid's number anyway? There aren't that many places that would have that information. I saw online that sometimes a mis-typed number on another filer's part can cause this type of glitch, but that doesn't help me feel better right now. I mean, wouldn't the IRS check that the name matches the number on the form?

Thanks (going amother because I have NO IDEA how this happened or if CV"S someone we know may be involved)

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:24 am
I would get a lawyer or an accountant asap. So change all ur passwords. Hatzlacha

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:39 am
You need a qualified accountant or tax attorney to help you right away.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:49 am
I've been going through this for years. One of my kids was already claimed by someone else since he's 18 months and is now 11 yrs old. But the craziest is that ANOTHER one of my kids was claimed by someone and they are demanding $11,000.00 to pay them back for the refunds they issued for my kids between a certain amount of years. We have a very big accountant working on this. At this point it was not enough that my pediatrician sent a letter stating that these are our children. They need proof that they were in our custody during those years. We moved during that time, so now they are questioning the addresses. It's a nightmare and it seems to get worse every year. Right now it's under review and they said to give it six months . They were going to start garnishing our wages!!! And these are my kids!!! I gave birth to them!! What more do they want?!!!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:57 am
OP - you may need the help of someone who specifically has experience dealing with IRS controversy.

~signed a very skinny accountant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics