Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Sheitel Struggle

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:13 am
I have two wigs that I would like to sell-- does anyone have an idea of how I could do it?

Here is the story:
I never put on a wig until I went to a sheitel macher five days before my wedding. Where I come from no one wears wigs, so I am a total novice! I was unprepared with no wig cap and only two small hair clips and a hair band to make a pony. She told me not to make a pony because it would make a bump. I couldn't even get my slippery hair to stay up properly. I told the sheitel macher that I have a very large skull, and she showed me how to release the tabs. But my hair was still all over the place! She asked me how the fit was, and I told her it felt tight, but that I didn't understand how the fit was supposed to be! I bought two cheaper sheitels and took them home. I figured out how to clip my hair up properly, and bought a no-slip velvet headband. And that is when I realized that the wigs are too small. One of them is just a bit small, but the other really doesn't cover my scalp. Those tabs are supposed to come IN FRONT of your ears, right? Are they supposed to cover the hair on the temples? I still can't quite understand how they are supposed to fit.

I called the Sheitel macher, and she said there is nothing she can do, not even exchanges. She told me of a Chinese women who does alterations, but doesn't speak English. I can't imagine how that would work, nor do I think it is worth spending so much to alter a wig that was so cheap. I am upset at having spent this money on something I can't use.

In the meantime, I went to a beauty supply in Sunset Park and bought two wigs for $30 and $40. One is tight, but fit's okay. I gave it a haircut and wore it for Shabbos, and my chosson and everyone thinks it is So cute! B"H. The other I will play with, and hope fully learn to do alterations on my own:) I think both of them are nicer than the ones I paid $100 and $150 for in BP. So, is there a way for me to sell the wigs I bought in BP without a huge loss?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:21 am
Craigslist?
Classifieds in the Link advertising synthetics?

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:23 am
There's a facebook group for buying and selling wigs. I dropped out of the group when I wasn't in the market anymore but maybe someone here can add you.

cm

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:35 am
I hope you will find buyers for your wigs.

Meanwhile, find a new sheitalmacher! She should be prepared to show a newbie how to secure her hair (although you may find a different method works better for you once you have more practice), and unless you insist, she shouldn't ask you for a decision until the wig is properly on your head.

Many people are not entirely satisfied with their first wigs, but this is pretty extreme. Ask other ladies in your neighborhood who share your general sense of style for recommendations. Even if you are purchasing inexpensive synthetics, you should expect a good level of customer service. The sheitalmacher will want you to be a satisfied return customer if/when you upgrade to a more expensive human hair model.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:43 am
I know Tova Schonfeld in Flatbush sells synthetic wigs and she is wonderful with customer service. I didn't buy there but I did try (I am very difficult to shop for!) and I know others who use her for all their sheitel needs.

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 3:46 pm
Thank you all for the advice! I went to this woman by recommendation, and I am sure that she is great for those who already know what they are doing. I didn't feel pressured to buy, I just had no idea that the wigs were way to small:/ I still don't really understand how much a sheitel should cover. I already have another recommendation, but I am very leery now of going to a sheitel macher at all! I don't understand the purpose of paying extra to have someone sell me a sheitel when I can go to the beauty supply and pay a third of the price.

seeker, I would feel bad taking someone's time and not buying anything-- maybe I shouldn't think that way?

cm, I appreciate your validation! I don't want to speak badly of anyone, and I feel also somewhat at fault, but if the sheitel macher had just taken a minute to check, I'm certain she would immediately have seen that the wigs were way too small! I for sure won't go back to her. And I Would have eventually upgraded to a more expensive sheitel!

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 4:11 pm
Try to sell them,but if you can buy similar at a beauty supply store for a third the price, ladies would probably not pay you near what you paid.

Try on the wig that is not so tight without the headband underneath. I braid my hair I two loose braids and then wrap them around my head. It is very comfortable without bulk. It is very simple to clip a sheital and insert a lace wedge to gain some room in the cap.

naomi2

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 4:13 pm
I grew up with ppl around me wearing sheitels and I still never buy a wig without taking someone more experienced tha n me along. Find a neighbor, coworker, friend who has more experience and never feel like you need to buy anything. Totally OK to shop around and sleep on it. Also, a 100 dollar wig will not be a good one period. If you want one to last it should be human hair. Also find a new sheitel macher. You really need to trust her more than you do now.

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 5:11 pm
Squishy, I don't know, but I think part of the reason you pay more at a sheitel macher is because you are also paying for her time and customer service. But I will probably not be able to get what I paid, even though everyone I talked to thinks it's a good price, because things like this lose value the moment they are not brand new. I tried your braid suggestion just now, and maybe it does help a little with the bulk, but the problem is that I my hair is so slippery! I couldn't either sheitel to sit in place at all. I am very glad to hear that it's simple to cut and add lace! I feel like it should be easy, but I am afraid to make the first cut. How to I decide where in the cap to cut? I tried adding elastic by the back on one of the cheaper ones, but now the back is loose and the cap is still tight. Confused

naomi2, Unfortunately, it's not so easy for me to find someone who can come with me -- but it is nice to hear that you still do it:) Don't worry, I do know that I am buying a cheap wig -- quality is not the issue, here! I just want something that will cover my hair. I decided to start cheap because I was worried about spending $500+ on something that didn't work-- and I definitely feel that was the right decision! I would be devastated if I spent SO much money on something that did not even cover my hair. I will definitely take more time deciding in the future!

For now, I can't buy any more wigs , but I will definitely not go back to this woman.

Okay, so my big question right now is really about how the cap should cover my head. Are the ear tabs supposed to cover the hair in front of my ears? I am assuming that the cap of the wig should at least completely cover the hair coming out of my head?

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 5:39 pm
lavenderchimes wrote:
Squishy, I don't know, but I think part of the reason you pay more at a sheitel macher is because you are also paying for her time and customer service. But I will probably not be able to get what I paid, even though everyone I talked to thinks it's a good price, because things like this lose value the moment they are not brand new. I tried your braid suggestion just now, and maybe it does help a little with the bulk, but the problem is that I my hair is so slippery! I couldn't either sheitel to sit in place at all. I am very glad to hear that it's simple to cut and add lace! I feel like it should be easy, but I am afraid to make the first cut. How to I decide where in the cap to cut? I tried adding elastic by the back on one of the cheaper ones, but now the back is loose and the cap is still tight. Confused

naomi2, Unfortunately, it's not so easy for me to find someone who can come with me -- but it is nice to hear that you still do it:) Don't worry, I do know that I am buying a cheap wig -- quality is not the issue, here! I just want something that will cover my hair. I decided to start cheap because I was worried about spending $500+ on something that didn't work-- and I definitely feel that was the right decision! I would be devastated if I spent SO much money on something that did not even cover my hair. I will definitely take more time deciding in the future!

For now, I can't buy any more wigs , but I will definitely not go back to this woman.

Okay, so my big question right now is really about how the cap should cover my head. Are the ear tabs supposed to cover the hair in front of my ears? I am assuming that the cap of the wig should at least completely cover the hair coming out of my head?

The problem is explaining this online. Try using bobby pins to hold the braid. This is doable. You can try wearing the wig over wet hair or putting it on wet. Wet hair stretches the wig cap. The cuts are done where the pressure is.

To be honest, I think you still need a real life friend to guide you if you are still not sure of the ear tabs. They go in front of your ears and roughly follows your hairline. A regular wig should cover all your hair.

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 5:48 pm
Squishy-- I think you did a good job explaining, thanks:) The braids stayed in the cap okay, but the hair all around my hairline was coming out all over. This probably wouldn't happen if the cap were large enough. My head measure 24" around! The wet hair idea is good for the caps that are just a little small!

I have such an unusual situation --most women in my neighborhood don't wear wigs, and the women I know who do are crazy busy. I actually just thought of someone I could ask for help, though!

I am going to save up my bravery over night and try more cap altering on none of the cheap wigs tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:49 pm
lavenderchimes wrote:

AFAIK most synthetic wigs do not come with the front comb and 2 side clips that natural hair wigs come with.
Does yours? You can purchase the pieces for $2 to hold the wig in place and sew them in with a few stitches.

NovelConcept

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 10:33 pm
About synthetics:

Be prepared that the cheaper the wig, the quicker it will go into the garbage. I started out with the real cheapy wigs and they barely lasted 4 months. The back turns into steel wool.

A few years later I felt pressured to consider human hair, simply for money and convenience, though I really didn't want to go that route.

I decided to invest in a high quality synthetic and got two good years out of it, though bear in mind that I didn't wear it every day.

If you get frustrated with the short life span of the cheapies, just know that there are better ones out there.

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 5:38 am
ra_mom, You are right-- none of these wigs came with combs! I did buy front and side combs to sew in, but decided against it when I realized that the caps were actually too small and I was hoping to exchange them. I have never been able to get combs to work with my hair, anyway. And I worry that they are likely to pull and aggravate my migraines:/ But I will try sewing some in once I get a cap that is the proper size!

Novel Concept-- thanks for the info! I am not expecting these to last-- in fact, I got super cheap ones figuring that I probably wouldn't be happy with my first wigs, and it would be better if they Didn't last! I did not expect that the caps wouldn't cover my hair, though. I will probably upgrade once I get the hang of my giant head.

penguin

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 2:54 pm
I know this thread is a few months old, but it just popped up below. OP, if you get migraines, embrace lightweight scarves and just forget about wigs!

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 3:10 pm
penguin wrote:
I know this thread is a few months old, but it just popped up below. OP, if you get migraines, embrace lightweight scarves and just forget about wigs!

Smile I usually wear scarves and hats! But I like the look of wigs, especially when I am dressing up. I haven't yet found a hat or way to wrap a scarf that looks as nice! Plus, sometimes I want to be culturally normal -- which means a sheitel!

penguin

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 5:04 pm
If you tell us where you're located someone may have a good recommendation. There are those who specialize in fitting a cap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels