Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Apartment Brokers in Brooklyn

Fox

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 6:50 pm
So my 23-year-old DD, Clementine, got a fantastic job in Brooklyn. She wasn't thrilled to relocate, but the salary, benefits, and experience were too good to pass up. Plus, she liked the idea of expanding her immediate dating pool.

So far, so good. She loves the job and seems to be doing well, B"H. She's staying in the guest room of a friend until she and a roommate locate an apartment.

Here comes the sticky part: both girls are from OOT and are a bit confused about the role of "brokers" for apartments.

These brokers apparently don't sign contracts with the landlords of the properties. They don't vet prospective clients. They don't necessarily even show the apartments. Yet they charge one month's rent for . . . something we can't figure out.

Clem and her roomate found an apartment recently, and the landlady, an elderly Israeli woman, confided that the broker frightened her. She asked if the girls could simply rent it without going through the broker. Well, Clementine wasn't sure of the halachos, so she asked a shaila. When she called the broker to clarify something and mentioned that she'd asked about the halachos involved, he went berserk, screaming that he didn't deal with people who asked shailos about business and hung up on her. Then he apparently called the landlady and threatened to "ruin her property" and "blacklist her all over Brooklyn" if she didn't go through him.

Obviously, I'm familiar with real estate brokers in sales situations, and I'm familiar with rental agents. But this seems to be something entirely different. In fact, it seems closer to extortion than a real service.

Is this the how the rental market in Brooklyn operates? And if so, why do people put up with it? Or is it just one of those NY things that seems normal to the natives but has the rest of the country shaking their heads, like "points" on your driver's license and Regent's Exams? Is it possible to rent a nice apartment without going through these people?

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 6:54 pm
Um, yes.

http://marketplace.jewishpress.....D=202

Also Luach and BangItOut.

There's absolutely no reason to go through a broker.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 6:55 pm
I've never used a broker. I bought the Jewish Press, Hamodia, Yated and found rentals there.

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:01 pm
I am also from OOT, so I understand your frustration. I'm sorry your DD had such a difficult time! I have found apartments on craigslist or Zillow without a broker. But at times, it can be nice to use a broker -- only if you find a good one! -- because they will do the leg work for you! It depends on your situation. But. I only know "broker" as real estate agent -- they do the vetting and lease signing, and everything. If the broker does NOTHING? Forget it. I hope the worst is behind you, and that your DD will find a lovely place soon!

Fox

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:19 pm
Thanks for the suggestions! I shall pass them along and send dear Clementine in search of apartments without broker involvement!

crust

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:26 pm
Fox wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! I shall pass them along and send dear Clementine in search of apartments without broker involvement!

And send her along many wishes for hatzlacha from all of us!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries