Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Is aerobic exercise harmful?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 5:41 am
I heard people say that married women shouldn't do aerobic exercises because it isn't good for their reproductive system. is that true or is it just old wive's tales?
I like to jump rope around ten minutes a day, at one minute intervals, and people have told me that it isn't good for my body. I also like to jump on a trampoline and people have told me that I should forget aerobic exercise and stick to pilates (which I don't enjoy)
has anyone heard anything about this?

water_bear88

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 5:58 am
Ridiculous and harmful old wives' tales. Aerobic exercise is good for nearly everybody, certainly everybody healthy, including pregnant women so long as they don't overdo it. Jumping rope or on a trampoline might not be a great idea if you're pregnant/have orthopedic issues- ask your doctor- since jumping rope is relatively high-impact and trampolines have their own safety issues.

Otherwise, jumping rope is a great exercise. I used to do it until I started having some orthopedic problems (unrelated to the jumping rope).

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:02 am
That
Is
Hands
Down
The
Most
Ridiculous
Piece
Of
Health
Advice
I
Have
Ever
Heard

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:28 am
What bisque said.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:34 am
What's true is if you're pregnant you need to be careful not to exercise to such an extent that your body temperature goes too high. So marathon training in summer would be a bad idea.Also in later pregnancy your connective tissue loosens, making you more vulnerable to musculoskeletal injuries like sprains and dislocations. Trampolining, heavy weight lifting and Zumba would therefore also be a bad idea while pregnant.

Otherwise, your marital status has nothing to do with anything.

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:38 am
Thank you, bisque.

Aerobic exercise is good for your heart and lungs, your sleep, your weight, your emotions, and your brain.

Unless you are OCD, exercising for hours each day to the point of no longer getting your period, then exercise is GOOD for your reproductive system.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24126551

champion

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 8:38 am
Ridiculous Advice.
Although I do advice to stregthen your pelvic floor muscles if you are doing a whole lot of jumping.

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 8:01 pm
Some ladies in the country told me this as I was jumping on the trampoline. They said it would make me have mid cycle spotting. And bike riding too. I told them they are nuts (not so bluntly of course) but that in theory if it could cause issues, I suppose it would be only to someone that goes from couch potato to extreme high impact very quickly, and her body can't tolerate it. I never had any such issues.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 1:56 pm
champion wrote:
Ridiculous Advice.
Although I do advice to stregthen your pelvic floor muscles if you are doing a whole lot of jumping.

Do you have specific recommendation for strengthening the pelvic floor muscles?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Do you have specific recommendation for strengthening the pelvic floor muscles?

Kegels.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 4:23 pm
I once read an article that exercise in general is actually good for fertility .
I am an avid gym goer and I always got pregnant right away .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise