Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Still crying but comes back happy

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 12:05 pm
My son started gan 2.5 weeks ago, it definitely is a big adjustment, semi-new language, many more kids than his private gan last year etc. He still cries every morning when I drop him off. The ganenet told me it's purely a show because he calms down right away. He also always comes home with a big smile and in a good mood.
Is there anything to do about this? It's hard for me to see him cry like that every morning... and of course I'm sad for him, I want him to start off his day on a good note!

amother
White

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 3:41 pm
It's very normal! As long as he's happy while he's there, and happy when he's home, it's ok. He's sad when he has to separate from you or his father, and that is very normal and healthy at this age. Most likely, it will stop in a few weeks once he has formed a stronger bond with his teachers.

Also, don't worry about him starting his day sad - think about how many times a day kids this age cry. They didn't get an extra treat, their sibling messed up something they were building, they tried to run and jump but fell down. The list goes on. But crying for a little while doesn't ruin their whole day. Crying for a little while when dropped off won't ruin their day more or less than any other tantrum or meltdown they might have. Kids bounce back very quickly from these things, so it isn't making his whole day sad.

Many kids take several weeks to adjust, but for some kids it's much quicker. Give him time and space and it should clear up by itself.

Lizzie4

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 3:51 pm
What works for me is emotionally preparing my child before we get to his Morah.
"We are going to Morah now! Mommy is so proud of her big boy/girl. It's OK to feel sad when Mommy leaves. Soon Mommy will come pick you up from school... Now we're going to give Mommy a hug and tell Mommy goodbye "

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 5:05 pm
The children that are dropped off are always the ones that are crying if there is an option of transportation that would be the best bet for you

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 2:39 am
Thank you everyone. Makes me feel better Smile

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 2:54 am
Someone told me of a study that children cry for an average of 80seconds when dropped off at preschool.
No idea if it's true, but it makes sense. Especially with a warm, sensitive morah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers