Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you use fresh yeast?

sarys

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 12:50 pm
I'm baking challah with fresh yeast for the first time, I see the yeast expires tomorrow. How do I know if it's still good. The dough definitely has a smell but I don't know if normal dough with fresh yeast has this smell or did it go bad? Any tips?

bookie

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 1:17 pm
I made challah today with fresh yeast that expires tomorrow. It smelled like it always does

imasoftov

Post Tue, Sep 12 2017, 1:23 pm
sarys wrote:
I'm baking challah with fresh yeast for the first time, I see the yeast expires tomorrow. How do I know if it's still good. The dough definitely has a smell but I don't know if normal dough with fresh yeast has this smell or did it go bad? Any tips?

To tell if yeast is alive, dissolve some in warm water and add a little sugar. If it's good, it will foam within 5 to 10 minutes. This is known as proofing.

Many recipes start like this in any case which allows you to check the yeast and then use it if good. If it doesn't begin that way, you can probably deduct the water and sugar used to check the yeast from water and sugar that are added later on in the recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics