Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Weirdest Thing You've Ever Seen
1  2  3  Next

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 10:59 am
Himalayan Pink Salt. Reduced Sodium

Reduced sodium salt??? Isn't that a non-sequitur?

L K

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 11:13 am
SixOfWands wrote:

And I saw the pink salt "with electrolytes!" duh

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 11:15 am
Ready made salted water. Ready made Pessach bread crumbs.

Pink salt is a real thing, I've seen it in the Himalaya.

Also I've always wondered what is duck sauce. and Pam.

cm

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 11:37 am
Ruchel wrote:
Ready made salted water. Ready made Pessach bread crumbs.

Pink salt is a real thing, I've seen it in the Himalaya.

Also I've always wondered what is duck sauce. and Pam.

Duck sauce is a sweet-and-sour condiment made from fruit such as apricots. It is customarily served with American "Chinese" food. Not sure if it is traditionally Chinese or not.

Pam is one brand of cooking spray. It allows you to apply the slightest amount of oil to the pan to prevent sticking, but not add a significant amount of fat to the food.

Last edited by cm on Wed, Sep 13 2017, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

cm

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 11:44 am
L K wrote:
And I saw the pink salt "with electrolytes!" duh

Himalayan and other types of gourmet salt are popular now. They have tiny quantities of other minerals. That's probably what "with electrolytes" means in this context, if the label is referring to additional electrolytes not found in regular salt. (Or, could just be an advertising ploy to attract people who don't know that table salt always has electrolytes, or what that means).

Reduced sodium salt typically has some of the sodium replaced by potassium.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:13 pm
I always do a double-take when encountering kosher "pork" flakes or whatever they are, and kosher "shrimp."

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:19 pm
I wonder though if using a bit of oil is better than the chemicals in pam

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:24 pm
Cholent in a can.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:31 pm
tichellady wrote:
Cholent in a can.

Oh no... I dont want to see

iyar

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:35 pm
tichellady wrote:
Cholent in a can.

You win the prize tichellady, at least in my book.
I did a major double take the first time I saw ready made salt water in my favorite kosher supermarket. I actually picked it up and read the label again so I'd be sure it wasn't just a pre-Pesach fatigue induced apparition, so Ruchel can be runner up if she wants.
But cholent in a can?!?!?!

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:35 pm
I'm sure my fellow Chicagoans can chime in with some vivid memories of unusual items!

Hebrew Theological College/Skokie Yeshiva has a mishloach manos project every Purim -- the usual kind of thing where you pay a flat rate per name that you wish to send to, and the size of the package you receive depends on the number of people who listed your name.

The project is run partially by paid staffers and partially by volunteers, and they work hard to introduce new kosher products to the community. They attend all the kosher food conventions and have samples arriving all the time. For years, I shared an office with the woman who ran the campaign, and here's a piece of advice: the best time to announce a pregnancy in such a situation is before all the committee members insist that you taste a variety of fish dips and vote for the best. My vote was cast in favor of a quick run to the restroom.

When something is a hit, it puts us way ahead of the curve. For example, we got the styrofoam cups of noodle soup ages before anyone else because we'd all received them in the shalach manos and badgered the local stores to order them. Same with all kinds of pre-packaged pastries and a whole list of things that escape my memory.

However, when something is a miss, it is sometimes really, really a miss. Some of the infamous misses include blue corn chips and tofu-based "chicken" meals that need no refrigeration but have a shelf life of . . . forever. Some of the Japanese candies never made it into local stores after a less-than-stellar reception, and combination condiments (think "horseradish and sriracha in one delicious sauce!") rarely gain a foothold.

So while we actually enjoy seeing new products each Purim, social media immediately explodes with posts like, "Have you tasted the mock squid soup? Was it scary?" Each year brings at least one product to which the answer is, "Yes. Terrifying!"

cm

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:52 pm
My fave - I've posted about this before - pareve, kosher for Passover macaroni and cheese.

rgr

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:53 pm
tichellady wrote:
Cholent in a can.

Why not? You see baked beans in a can all the time. LOL

Blessing1

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:54 pm
Sushi, when it first became popular.
I still think it's weird.

mommyla

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 1:21 pm
iyar wrote:
You win the prize tichellady, at least in my book.
I did a major double take the first time I saw ready made salt water in my favorite kosher supermarket. I actually picked it up and read the label again so I'd be sure it wasn't just a pre-Pesach fatigue induced apparition, so Ruchel can be runner up if she wants.
But cholent in a can?!?!?!

And this year there were hardboiled eggs with a container of ashes for Tisha B'Av LOL shock

allcuteonesrtak

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 1:55 pm
studying_torah wrote:

I use misto.. you make your own spray without the chemicals

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 3:29 pm
Sometimes the products that have hechshers are pretty hilarious, too.

A few years ago, someone on Imamother posted a picture of a large chocolate cross being sold in honor of Easter. On the front of the package, in what had to be 144-point font, was a prominent O-U. I believe there might have been a bunny available, too.

Obviously, the candy company was certified regardless of what shape they molded the chocolate into, but it was still pretty funny.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 3:40 pm
The first time I saw all the kosher for pessach frozen products, I thought the grocer forgot to lock up and cover that freezer.
My parents are extremely strict & limited in what they use, and I did not even know these items existed (blintzes, macaroni, etc)
My first glimpse of garlic laden "Gala" was a shock too, for my eyes and nose!

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 4:30 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Not a non sequitur. An oxymoron. it's a clever marketing ploy. The salt is very coarse, so by volume it contains less salt mass, and thus less sodium, than regular fine grained table salt. By weight it would of course (of coarse!) be the same.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 4:32 pm
studying_torah wrote:

Yes. If nothing else, the propellant is toxic by inhalation. Better to cut your fat elsewhere.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen