Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O Kind And Heartwarming Gestures A Teacher Did To You
1  2  Next

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:35 pm
Quote:
I did not intend for this to be a gossip thread. The opposite. I was hoping we can learn and see how our actions and words can be so damaging to children that it will raise awareness for us to be more careful and sensitive. And to also stick up for our children and speak out if they experience this kind of degradation.
I'm sorry if you misunderstood my intent.

I so agree with the above point.. and thought it would be nice to hear what kind experiences you've had with your teachers, and what effect that had on you..

So here we go. I'll start:

The first thing that comes to mind is when I was about in 5th grade.. It was after we changed seats. And I was Very. Unhappy. With. My. Seat. Now I know that it wasn't really the seat.. It was just a good opportunity to let out the hard time I had in school. So I decided that I'll just ignore the teacher, and pout. (lol.. way to go) She asked everyone to open thier navi. I didn't. I made a show of disinterest. Didn't write notes. Just scowled. My teacher asked me to wait outside the classroom. When class was over she came over to speak to me. and what she told me bowled me over. She didn't reprimand. She just asked gently if something's going on why I'm not happy in her class. I just burst out crying. All that tension released. And she just listened. And tried to comfort me. Reading it now, it seems simple. Obvious. But I can still feel that overwhelming sense of feeling cared about. that a teacher cared enough to look beneath the veneer and sincerely take an interest. I can still see little me with this huge load lifted off my heart. I can see her caring eyes, and calming tone. It is an experience I treasure.

What are some of yours?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:47 pm
wow! that's beautiful!

Mine is from 3rd grade. I was an extremely shy and quiet student with a dysfunctional family and felt like a nobody. My 3rd grade English teacher had us make some artwork for a bulletin board. I made some snails out of color paper and she went on and on about how amazing they were, so small and so detailed. She made me feel so significant and able and like I mattered and added to the class in a really special way. I have never forgotten her.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 12:58 pm
Actually, I had an amazing highschool teacher who was there for me at ALL hours , even on Yom Tov even at 2:00 in the morning. I knew she'd be there to support me throughout my nightmare at home. I actually got married before she did. She drove me to my chasunah.And was the first to see me dressed in my wedding gown. If not for her I don't think I would be here today.

Even though I'm six ft tall, when my kindergarten teacher meets me she still gives me a heartwarming pinch on my cheek . 😊

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 1:03 pm
My third grade teacher invited me and another girl in the class, also an immigrant, to Pesach seder. We felt so special!

My fourth grade teacher asked me to put together a book of my poems for her and illustrate it. I worked on it all year.

My seventh grade teacher encouraged my writing and helped me develop my style.

Overall I was pretty fortunate in my teachers.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 1:03 pm
Not my experience, but one year, my daughter's teacher had a girl in her first grade class who was just painfully shy. One day, the girl came to school and gingerly put a present onto the teacher's desk. It was a painted macaroni necklace. The teacher, who dressed well, put on the necklace and wore it every day for the rest of the school year.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 1:06 pm
Quote:
Even though I'm six ft tall, when my kindergarten teacher meets me she still gives me a heartwarming pinch on my cheek . 😊

lol. Those are my favorite teachers to meet. Those who still see me as that cute little innocent child I was in kindergarten. I recently bumped into my third grade teacher.. and she just looked so happy to meet me.. and I was so happy to see her. such awesome memories I have of her.

Zehava

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 1:09 pm
There were so many!
The ones that made themselves available to me long after I left their grade with advice, sympathy, and compassion. The ones that advocated for me.
the very busy overwhelmed teacher/play director who still somehow found time for me and even allowed me to hang out at her home sometimes.
The teacher I was sure hated me since I kept acting up in her class and being sent out but then out of the blue told me she loves me.
And more....
I will never forget them

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 1:09 pm
My principal actually cared enough about me to confront my bpd mother. Not that it helped. My mother turned it all against me. But the fact that she cared touches my heart.

I've had teachers who really liked me and gave me great feedback on myself. They had no idea how much I needed to hear it and how it gave me a more accurate sense of myself. Different than my mother's demeaning messages.

I remember many many kind teachers, who I kept at arms length and would never let them get close to me. But through class discussions or just observing their compassion I got something special from them.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 1:44 pm
I had a 6th grade teacher who was actually a young, single woman, with a big heart. She used to call me aside at recess time and heap praises on me, telling me things like my davening today was amazing, or she loved a question I asked in class, or she noticed how nicely I interacted with another girl....little things that really built me up. I know she did this to other girls as well. She made me feel really special.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 1:52 pm
Quote:
I remember many many kind teachers, who I kept at arms length and would never let them get close to me. But through class discussions or just observing their compassion I got something special from them.

Ye.. I have a few of those. Those are the ones I wish they'd know what an influence they had on me. Because as a student I would definitely not let it show.. Specifically one teacher in high school, they way she interacted with all students was always an inspiration. She'd speak in this soft way to all, you could touch her love even if you never spoke to her directly.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:06 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Quote:

Ye.. I have a few of those. Those are the ones I wish they'd know what an influence they had on me. Because as a student I would definitely not let it show.. Specifically one teacher in high school, they way she interacted with all students was always an inspiration. She'd speak in this soft way to all, you could touch her love even if you never spoke to her directly.

This gave me a lot of chizzuk because I feel like I am that kind of high school teacher. I am just not the type to get really close to my students. I feel like it's not respectful of their privacy and in some cases blurs some boundaries. Yet, I know that the girls feel like I am kind, fair, and respectful of them.

I often wonder if I make as much of an impact with my teaching as those teachers who are always meeting up with girls, and getting all involved in their personal lives. It's nice to hear that students appreciate this type of teacher too.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:20 pm
I had a high school teacher who was really there for me. I was resistant to opening up and she never ever asked me to. She just subtly made it clear she was available (if I asked her something about a test or her lesson) and when I reached my breaking point she really was there holding my hand. She spoke to me for hours, let me come to her house (I didn't feel comfortable doing that so I spoke to her at her door a few times) and gave me my space - never forcing information out of me. We've kept up since and I can easily say I'd be a very different person if not for her.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:29 pm
My teacher discovered and brought out my talent of singing. My sisters had beautiful voices but always shamed my high pitch and told me I sound terrible and shouldn't sing so high. During tryouts my teacher insisted that I try out for soprano even though I kept telling her that I can only do alto. She taught me how to start off lower and work my way up. She gave me the main part of the contata and little 'ol me who was new to the class and struggling with keeping up suddenly became a star. Even years later my classmates would ask me to sing that special song for them. I was also going through hell at home at the time. And I used my voice in a really big way years later too.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:47 pm
I hated one Hebrew subject in 11th grade and no matter how hard I studied wouldn't get a grade high enough for my standards (I put these on myself, my parents didn't put pressure on me). After taking one particularly hard test that I studied a long time for, I wrote a note to my teacher at the end telling her how much I studied and how hard I tried. When I got the test back my grade was a 69 but my teacher crossed it off and wrote "96- Hashem counts effort and so do I"
Really made a positive impression on me!
P.s. I ended up teaching this subject

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 8:57 pm
Sadly can't really think of any

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:
Sadly can't really think of any

That hug was from me. A genuine one.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:27 pm
InnerMe wrote:
That hug was from me. A genuine one.

Thank you. Wouldn't have thought otherwise Smile

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:40 pm
completely off topic but bizzydizzymommy- you are six feet tall? Wow. Is your dh taller then you?

InnerMe

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
This gave me a lot of chizzuk because I feel like I am that kind of high school teacher. I am just not the type to get really close to my students. I feel like it's not respectful of their privacy and in some cases blurs some boundaries. Yet, I know that the girls feel like I am kind, fair, and respectful of them.

I often wonder if I make as much of an impact with my teaching as those teachers who are always meeting up with girls, and getting all involved in their personal lives. It's nice to hear that students appreciate this type of teacher too.

Wow. Glad to hear. And yes you are surely making a difference in your students lives just by being kind fair and respectful. I was not the one to open up to teachers and I can tell you that just sitting in certain teachers classes felt so good and special.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:49 pm
Grade 3 Miss Eisdorfer
Grade 4 Miss Stoltzberg
Eta, I might have mixxed uo the grades. I blocked it all out.... but between these two and these two grades.
I'll never forget their smile and random kind words.
They'd always make sure to give me that extra smile. Especially when I was defiant / feeling depressed.

I grew up the youngest of a large family with a NPD mother. There was a considerable gap between my older sibling and myself. And I ended up as the "slave" of the family from a very very very young age.
Add to that I was dyslexic and couldn't f
Do kria if my life depended on it.
Life was tough.

I dont remember what they said exactly but I remmeber it. And I always will.

Their smile was my sunshine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics