Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Breast Pump Help Please

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 6:00 pm
I have a new preemie B"H in the NICU and need to get a pump that will work with a timer on Shabbos. (So far I have been doing shinui as directed but my insurance will cover a pump so I'd like to get one that is Shabbos compatible.)

My options are:
Ameda Purely Yours Ultra
Medela Pump in Style Starter set
Elite Electric Breast Pump by Ameda
Advanced Double Electric by Evenflo

Ideally I want hospital grade and one that will work on a timer, but since I'm in the NICU every day and use those pumps during the day, if it's not hospital grade that's okay too, as long as it's a good, reliable, powerful pump.
Can you experienced Imamothers please advise me which one to choose?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 6:18 pm
I've only ever used the Spectra and the Medela Pump In Style Advanced (PISA). I liked the Spectra better but the PISA (which you listed) was fine too, and you could definitely put it on a timer for shabbos (Spectra could NOT). It actually worked out pretty well for me. Make sure you can put it on a timer before you buy.

I'd also advise you to get yourself a manual pump in case you feel you need/want to pump and the timer doesn't sync up with your body. I liked the Avent manual pump but I definitely didn't use it that often so I might not be the best person to judge.

poledra

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 6:40 pm
Mazel tov!! I have only used the Medela, but it was great! I used a hospital grade Medela (my ds was in the NICU too) and I hardly noticed a difference between the hospital grade and PISA. The suction was quite strong.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Sep 16 2017, 2:18 pm
I used the medela pump in style for my "early bird". Works great on a timer for shabbat / yom tov. Although not hospital grade, I found it was definitely strong enough, and the 2-phased suction (first faster then slower to mimic a real baby sucking) and double sided-ness was very efficient - I was able to pump out a whole feeding in 7-15 minutes. I used it every 3 hours for the whole first month, and it was perfect (and then baruch Hashem we were able to stop).

smileyfaces

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 1:19 am
I used a Medela pump in style on shabbos and I left it on the whole shabbos.
I also rented a medela hospital pump which I used during the week and it was really great.
The hospital had Medela hospital pumps available during my visits to the NICU.
Mazel tov on your new baby
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics