Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Pickled corned beef recipes
1  2  Next

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 8:55 am
So I've never bought this before. Any good recipe ideas?

Thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 9:41 am
smile12345 wrote:
So I've never bought this before. Any good recipe ideas?

Thanks!

Here are 2;

1:
4-6 lb. pickled corned beef
1 c. light brown sugar
1/3 c. ketchup
3 T. apple cider vinegar
1 Toil
1 T mustard

Boil corned beef for a few hours until tender. Cool, Slice meat. Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan and bring to boil. Cook until smooth. Pour over sliced meat and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

2:

4 1/2 pounds corned beef
1 cup apricot preserves
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Boil corned beef for a few hours until tender. Cool, Slice meat. In a small bowl combine apricot preserves, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Spread the apricot mixture evenly over the corned beef.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) 25 to 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender; basting occasionally with pan drippings.

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 9:43 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Here are 2;

1:
1 c. light brown sugar
1/3 c. ketchup
3 T. apple cider vinegar
1 Toil
1 T mustard

Boil corned beef for a few hours until tender. Cool, Slice meat. Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan and bring to boil. Cook until smooth. Pour over sliced meat and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

2:

4 1/2 pounds corned beef
1 cup apricot preserves
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Boil corned beef for a few hours until tender. Cool, Slice meat. In a small bowl combine apricot preserves, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Spread the apricot mixture evenly over the corned beef.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) 25 to 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender; basting occasionally with pan drippings.

Thanks!

lfab

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:08 am
The recipe I use is super easy and tastes really good.

Boil corned beef in water for several hours until tender (I usually do 2 1/2-3 hours depending on size of the corned beef)

Sauce:
1 can jellied cranberries
1 package onion soup mix

Break up jellied cranberries with a fork and pour into saucepan, add onion soup mix and bring to a boil. Pour sauce over meat. If you are making a lot of meat you can double the sauce. Freezes and reheats beautifully.

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 3:17 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Here are 2;

1:
1 c. light brown sugar
1/3 c. ketchup
3 T. apple cider vinegar
1 Toil
1 T mustard

Can I cook it straight in the sauce (with water added of course)? I usually like the taste better when the sauce was cooked with the meat, more of a meaty gravy...

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 3:35 pm
We simmer 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup (or less) brown sugar for a few minutes, then add 1/2 cup brown mustard. After the boiling, brush sauce over (unsliced) meat and bake for 30 minutes, turning and brushing more on every 10 minutes.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 4:33 pm
smile12345 wrote:
Can I cook it straight in the sauce (with water added of course)? I usually like the taste better when the sauce was cooked with the meat, more of a meaty gravy...

I don't know; I've never done it that way.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 4:36 pm
smile12345 wrote:

The water usually gets really scummy and disgusting, especially at the beginning. You don't want all that fat mixed in with your sauce. So I vote no, or at least not until the last part of the cooking.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 4:37 pm
I would think it would be very salty also.

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 4:39 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The water usually gets really scummy and disgusting, especially at the beginning. You don't want all that fat mixed in with your sauce. So I vote no, or at least not until the last part of the cooking.

Are you talking about this type of meat in particular or all meats? I usually cook roasts straight in sauce (or just spiced) and then warm it up inside the gravy. I'm always happy with the way it comes out...

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 4:47 pm
smile12345 wrote:
Are you talking about this type of meat in particular or all meats? I usually cook roasts straight in sauce (or just spiced) and then warm it up inside the gravy. I'm always happy with the way it comes out...

Corned beef.

I don't boil any other type of meat, in sauce or otherwise.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 4:52 pm
smile12345 wrote:

This type of meat. Other meats are fine that way. The sauce would be unbearably salty if you did that.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 5:06 pm
smile12345 wrote:

If you don't want to boil it first, you can use this (though I like it better fresh from the oven).
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....22396
Or place it in a pan that fits its surface (not too big), add water 3/4 up, add some garlic cloves and bay leaves if you wish, and cover tightly and bake at 300, 1 hour for each pound.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Sep 15 2017, 4:55 am; edited 2 times in total

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 6:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you don't want to boil it first, you can use this (though I like it better fresh from the oven).
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....80901
Or place it in a pan that fits its surface (not too big), add water 3/4 up, add some garlic cloves and bay leaves if you wish, and cover tightly and bake at 3pm for a hour for each pound.

The thing is that I find it gets softer when boiled than roasted... Wink
I just like it when the sauce/gravy has more of a meaty taste...

I guess in this case will boil it and then add sauce afterwards. So I discard the gravy after cooking it?

Thanks everyone for your input!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 7:19 pm
smile12345 wrote:
The thing is that I find it gets softer when boiled than roasted... Wink
I just like it when the sauce/gravy has more of a meaty taste...

I guess in this case will boil it and then add sauce afterwards. So I discard the gravy after cooking it?

Thanks everyone for your input!

I don't understand. I guess I thought you wrote that you wanted to go straight to the baking step with the sauce and skip the boiling. Smile

FYI corned beef doesn't need any sauces or spices or seasoning. It's all ready pickled, and when you cook it up in water, it's all ready to go and tasty. Sauce is an extra and you can add if after the meat is sliced and ready to be put away and you don't have to heat that though until right before serving on YT.

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 7:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't understand. I guess I thought you wrote that you wanted to go straight to the baking step with the sauce and skip the boiling. Smile

FYI corned beef doesn't need any sauces or spices or seasoning. It's all ready pickled, and when you cook it up in water, it's all ready to go and tasty. Sauce is an extra and you can add if after the meat is sliced and ready to be put away and you don't have to heat that though until right before serving on YT.

I meant that I wanted to boil it in the sauce rather than boil it in water and then heat it in sauce afterwards.

Though seems that isn't recommended so will scrap that idea...

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:52 pm
I just got this recipe and though it is much different and more simple than my regular recipe it really came out good. I actually made a few corn beefs using this recipe and they are all so delicious.

rinse corn beef
pour 1 cup of water on bottom of a pan
place corn beef in water
sprinkle 1 cup of brown sugar on corn beef
drizzle 3 TBSP of balsamic vinegar

cover pan and bake on 300 for 3 hours.

After meat cools in fridge- slice. (you can freeze with the sauce in the pan)

Last edited by lkwdlady on Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 8:15 am
Ladies, Is there a difference between corned beefs? Or do all cuts come out the same? Does corned beef mean the same as "pickled"???

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 8:24 am
Corned beef means the same as pickled. And yes there's a difference in cuts; some are dryer and some are more tender. Also if you're baking in the oven vs boiling, you'll need a more tender cut.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 8:51 am
ra_mom wrote:
Corned beef means the same as pickled. And yes there's a difference in cuts; some are dryer and some are more tender. Also if you're baking in the oven vs boiling, you'll need a more tender cut.

Thanks! What would you refer to as a more tender cut? I've only made a corned beef once. It was brisket and I didn't find it appealing. What would you suggest? I want tender.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics