Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mean Things Done to Teachers
1  2  3  Next

marina

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:11 am
Ok now let's be honest.

What are some mean things you or your friends have done to teachers?

If you are a teacher, what are some of the mean experiences you've had?

Kids in my class, for example, made some teachers cry.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:25 am
Kids in my class made teachers cry. I know teachers are human beings too, BUT, when all the other teachers have control of the classroom, and this teacher can't seem to maintain control, I would tell the teacher to go learn how to teach and then come back to school.
Stop thinking you can teach without training to teach.

marina

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
Kids in my class made teachers cry. I know teachers are human beings too, BUT, when all the other teachers have control of the classroom, and this teacher can't seem to maintain control, I would tell the teacher to go learn how to teach and then come back to school.
Stop thinking you can teach without training to teach.

Sometimes teachers maintain control by being unkind or humiliating children. A teacher who does not do this may have less respect, especially if the kids are used to being controlled through shame and ridicule.

And also many many teacher-prep programs do not actually teach how to maintain control of a classroom. They sort of assume that if you have it, you have it and if you don't, you don't.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:38 am
I admit, I sometimes really did some mean things to teacher like once when a teacher turned around to write something on the board I threw a crumpled piece of paper at her. Oh, how I cry these days for my bad deeds. I recently called her to apologize, she was so kind over the phone. I also called some teachers over the years to apologize. I ask Hashem that He forgive me and that my children shouldn't do what I did.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:47 am
I never did any mean things to my teachers. I'm sure that I did join in giggling or some group trouble. I remember we once all sat on the floor and put our hands up chanting "we surrender" to our fifth grade teacher. That's the only thing I can think of.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:47 am
In seminary my class did a bunch of Adar pranks, often against the teachers. But they were appreciated.
One teacher was very makpid on no phones. Everyone paired with a girl in the other class and all received a phone call during class, ringtone of "mishenichnas adar"
While one class was in session, the other class covered the doorway in plastic wrap. Another classroom doorway with streamers.
A cup and a pitcher of water on the desk -with a fish in it.
A teacher who was always commenting about his briefcase getting stolen, had it slipped away while he was teaching. Once he noticed, he called another teacher (on speed dial) to save it.
A different time, girls staples taffies togeather into a rope and tied his briefcase to a chair.
We turned all the seats around and put the desk in the back of the room. (All seats facing it)
Got the attendance list of the yeshiva one of the Rebbe I'm was the Rosh yeshiva of and replaced our attendance list with it. He had quite a laugh.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
In seminary my class did a bunch of Adar pranks, often against the teachers. But they were appreciated.
One teacher was very makpid on no phones. Everyone paired with a girl in the other class and all received a phone call during class, ringtone of "mishenichnas adar"
While one class was in session, the other class covered the doorway in plastic wrap. Another classroom doorway with streamers.
A cup and a pitcher of water on the desk -with a fish in it.
A teacher who was always commenting about his briefcase getting stolen, had it slipped away while he was teaching. Once he noticed, he called another teacher (on speed dial) to save it.
A different time, girls staples taffies togeather into a rope and tied his briefcase to a chair.
We turned all the seats around and put the desk in the back of the room. (All seats facing it)
Got the attendance list of the yeshiva one of the Rebbe I'm was the Rosh yeshiva of and replaced our attendance list with it. He had quite a laugh.

Rabbi L talks about this to his yeshiva boys with pride. My dh went to his yeshiva and I used to listen to recordings of his lectures. It came up a few times.
I wonder if the story he says was your class.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 10:53 am
My sisters third grade class poured a liter of orange soda into their teachers briefcase and ruined all of her lesson plans etc. The teacher was crying. I would've never in my life done such a thing.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 11:23 am
In 7th grade, we had a sub, and a bunch of kids had a snowball fight in the classroom. I was an angel, hands folded, sitting at desk. The sub was my cousin.

We didn't really do this on purpose, but ... long school strike, strikebreakers hired to teach. Strike ended unexpectedly. So the jars of interesting molds we were growing were left on our English teacher's desk. She was not amused.

Hebrew school. We'd always ask "do we have to answer in Hebrew?" The teacher would say "Unless you want to say it in Chinese." I had someone teach me to say "OK, then, I'll answer in Chinese" in Chinese.

Another Hebrew school class was supposed to sing Hatikvah at the end of a play. They sang Cheezus Khryst Superstar.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 11:26 am
I've seen it from both ends. I still remember how awful my entire class was to our 7th grade history teacher. It was her first year teaching and it was like sharks smelling fresh blood. I'm sad to say that while I definitely wasn't the worst, I did participate. Many of us called her when we were in high school to ask mechila, we felt terrible for what we'd done. She was really sweet about it. Nearly 20 years later, she's still teaching and is actually known to be amazing. It was just her first couple of years that she had a difficult time.

I taught for 4 years. I quit, and the reason is simple: the kids. The kids were so cruel to me, and I tried so hard. And I was well trained, I attended Teacher's College at Columbia. I knew all the theories of what I was supposed to do. I had mentoring and professional development. I tried different techniques. I made mistakes, but never did anything cruel or humiliating to a student. I worked so hard creating interesting and engaging lesson plans, but the kids just didn't care to learn. The kids were, simply, brats. And before anyone jumps on me to say they must have read my disdain, no, I didn't feel that way until the very end, when I came to the decision that come June, I'm out. Until then, I was wondering what the heck was wrong with me that classroom management was so difficult. And as I said, I reached out and did everything possible to get better at it. I loved the kids. It was only in the last 3 months of my teaching career that I began to resent them. But I cried every day of those 4 years that I taught. I finally realized if my job is making me cry every day, it must not be for me. And the day I felt that first twinge of resentment towards the kids was the day I knew it was over. I stuck it out those 3 months till the end of the year and never renewed my contract. I walked away for good.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 11:29 am
My 5th grade teacher was a very nice girl who had just come back from seminary. She couldn't control the class one bit and really had no business teaching. The class really didn't listen to a thing she said and we were quite mean to her.

At some point, the class threw her an engagement party when she wasn't engaged (I think it took her another 10 years or so until she did get married).

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 12:52 pm
I once asked a teacher to show us another math example on the board to clarify what she was teaching, so that I can throw a note across to room to a friend.

I laugh when I think of it, though maybe I shouldn't...

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 1:19 pm
Putting glue on teachers chair
I was hoping it would stick to her and she would walk around with chair stuck to her the rest of the day
....insert evil laugh...

I chickened out last minute and wiped it off..but I still got in trouble for doing it.

Who here remembers that one!?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
Rabbi L talks about this to his yeshiva boys with pride. My dh went to his yeshiva and I used to listen to recordings of his lectures. It came up a few times.
I wonder if the story he says was your class.

Was he there then? What year?

chay

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 1:35 pm
BH

In high school, a bunch of us went to a Chinese auction. We saw a single teacher there and thought it'd be hilarious to write her name on a ticket and drop it in for a new shaitel.
Turns out she was the winner...
She got engaged a year later or so. Must have been happy in the long run.
But I can still picture that look of surprise when they announced her name lol

Seas

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 1:59 pm
Oak,

BTDT albeit without crying every day. The truth is some kids are just nasty little brats. You know nasty adults? When do you think their nastiness started? A small donkey doesn't grow up to be a larger adult sheep. You don't outgrow bad behavior.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 2:05 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Was he there then? What year?

Yup, I think he was there then. He was there for a few years. I'm cracking up. Don't worry, though. I don't remember which seminary it was.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
Yup, I think he was there then. He was there for a few years. I'm cracking up. Don't worry, though. I don't remember which seminary it was.

he mentioned the fish in his water too? I KNOW he was given it. (The poor girl was so nervous she almost spilled it!)

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 2:14 pm
Iymnok wrote:
he mentioned the fish in his water too? I KNOW he was given it. (The poor girl was so nervous she almost spilled it!)

I don't remember

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 2:20 pm
A lot of what is written above, I have witnessed as a student, or done to a fellow teacher.
I guess as a teacher my husband and I got lucky.
In one class I had so much noise I had constantly yell so the kids behind would hear me (no, I wasn't allowed to change the places, or I would have put those who cared in front). I lost my voice and doc told me public school is so horrible he'll give me a "depressed" or otherwise sick note if I wanna stop... I told him I was actually in private (didn't say Jewish, too ashamed of their behaviour embarrassed ) and just wanted meds.

-throwing cofee at a teacher!
-bullying so much she tried to commit suicide, chas veshalom
-pushing in the stairs
This was public school in my times, didn't get any better
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics