Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Warn the neighbors???

DF79

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 8:05 pm
Im having a shabbat kallah for my sister and I;m wondering if I should write a short note to the neighbors below and above to warn them about the noise.
What should I do?? The neighbor upstairs always complains about the littlest noice. He actually knocks on the door during shabbos lunch with 4 adults -no kids and asks us to keep in down.

Anyways Im hoping if he expects the noise from the shabbos kallah then he won't come down and bother me about it.

any advice or ideas?

gryp

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 8:38 pm
I think that is extremely thoughtful of you to think of them. We have pretty quiet neighbors upstairs but there are those times when there is non-stop chair-scraping and other "company noises." I wish they would tell me when they're planning a party so I could plan to be out of the house or even to mentally plan not to have a nice quiet Shabbos afternoon.

GAMZu

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 9:19 pm
It's nice to warn them.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 9:28 pm
Excellent idea!

su7kids

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 11:39 pm
Make the upstairs neighbor a platter of goodies from the shabbos kallah and say we want to share, and hope you won't be too disturbed by the noise.

ssbarnes

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 11:41 pm
I once had neighbors like that and I would just invite them to any gathering I had at my house. If they were part of the scene, they weren't complaining about the noise.

greenfire

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 11:45 pm
I think there is such a thing as reasonable noise at reasonable times ... you gotta live ...

Marion

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 4:55 am
Definitely write the note. It's now Sunday...the "quiet" neighbour should have lots of time to plan to be elsewhere if the noise will bother him.

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 4:56 pm
michellecoaster wrote:
He actually knocks on the door during shabbos lunch with 4 adults -no kids and asks us to keep in down.

Sounds inappropriate to me. You should be able to talk, sing and laugh in the daytime without worrying about the neighbors, or were you particularly boisterous?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 5:00 pm
We've discussed noise issues before.

In a building or even a private home, I don't think anyone can make you do anything...if it's the owner/landlord, he prob. can make you miserable if you don't go by what he wants, but bottom line, what's he gonna do, call the cops? On Shabbos afternoon?

I think that's lovely you are thinking ahead, but telling him ahead of time is more than enough.

Mazel tov on your simcha, and enjoy yourself!

lamplighter

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 6:00 pm
I think it's very thoughtful of you. why dont u tell them as an invitation so its not "warning" sounding.
like "we're having a shabbos kallah/party for my relative shabbos afternoon at 4:00, I'll be happy to see you"
unless u don't want them there or they wouldnt understand that party = noise

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 6:37 pm
ssbarnes wrote:
I once had neighbors like that and I would just invite them to any gathering I had at my house. If they were part of the scene, they weren't complaining about the noise.

sounds nice but her neighbor is a male and a shabbos kallah is only for girls and ladies.

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 6:54 pm
You gotta make sure that the warning will not prompt him to tell you that you can't make the shabbos kallah.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 7:19 pm
Warning them is very thoughtful of you!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 8:31 pm
momtomor wrote:
You gotta make sure that the warning will not prompt him to tell you that you can't make the shabbos kallah.

Good thought. I'd warn him LATE.

DF79

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 8:46 pm
Yes I am going to write the note on his door thursday evening. He is a single male and inviting him to a womens only shabbat kallah doesn't make sense.
Its just me and my husband. We don't make alot of noise. Generally we work long hours and come home eat dinner, converse, a board game or two and go to bed. Yet the neighbors always comes down to complain. In fact the shabbos meal he complained about was the first week we were there. We had only just opened the door to greet our guests when he came to complain. The meal hadn't even started.

I just know with 30 ppl in the house he actually might have a legitamate reason to make problems for me...

OY!

Zus

Post Sat, Dec 22 2007, 3:20 pm
Nah, he can't do anything unless you're breaking the law. I think it depends on the amount of decibels you're making and the time of the day.

I had an upstairs neighbor once who also always complained about our 'noise'. My flatmate and I sometimes put some music on around 8pm, nothing loud or anything, and he would come down to complain. He even called up my father who was our landlord to complain about us! My father told him that if he wants peace and quiet he should move to a shed in the fields, not to an apartment building in the city Rolling Eyes

And we never complained about the noise he was producing: 2 or 3 times per week, his lady friend would come over and at 10.45 pm sharp, we would hear their noises. Fun! Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette