Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you keep your house clean for a 3-day chag?
1  2  Next

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Sep 16 2017, 2:16 pm
After 1 day of shabbos, our place already feels like it needs a major cleanup.
Any tips?

devash1

Post Sat, Sep 16 2017, 2:38 pm
I also feel like that so I started organizing things tonight so at least we'll start with a more organized house. I tidy up everyday and sweep and I know that after yom tov it will need a massive cleaning.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Sep 16 2017, 2:43 pm
Sweep up and straitened up after every seuda.
Keep the kids outside.
Buy a new toy or game so that it's only one mess.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Sep 16 2017, 5:17 pm
Cleaning lady. Even though she doesn't vacuum and do other muktza stuff it can still make a huge difference.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Sep 16 2017, 9:54 pm
I have cleaning help come at least one of the days, and the rest of the time, it's the same as any Shabbos: the house is just a mess.

SingALong

Post Sat, Sep 16 2017, 10:09 pm
1. Cleaning lady-she can make beds, sweep, do dishes, put away toys, take out garbage, etc.

2. Clean up after every seudah and wash dishes. It's clean and ready for next seudah. Friday day meal I'm doing the nice plastic dishes. I also don't use so many pots over yt. I cook a lot in advance and all food goes in disposable baking pans in the oven. I only use a small pot for soup at night.

3. I will work hard to keep kitchen, dining room and living room as clean as possible. I will let the playroom be a wreck. Can't waste energy cleaning that 5x a day for 3 days straight. So the big mess will be concentrated there.

4. Hoping for nice weather so the kids can run around outside!

MrsDash

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 3:01 am
Going away, keeps the mess at bay.

LisaS

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 3:32 am
Living room/dining room has to be tidied before dessert at every meal.

I'd be happy for advice about how to keep the boys bathroom in check over three days.

fatso gal

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 6:07 am
SingALong wrote:

2. Clean up after every seudah and wash dishes. It's clean and ready for next seudah. Friday day meal I'm doing the nice plastic dishes. I also don't use so many pots over yt. I cook a lot in advance and all food goes in disposable baking pans in the oven. I only use a small pot for soup at night.

I don't know if you are in Israel and not used to multiple day You Tov's but you are not allowed to do prep for the next day. So for example on Thursday day you can not do any cooking or dishes for Thursday night.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 7:37 am
My house is the cleanest on yomtov thanks to all you guys who dont take ur reg cleaning help then! There is nothing a cleaning lady cant do except vacuum(she'll sweep the carpet)I asked the rav that is a super no sayer but u can ask ur own. She comes every morning and in this way we hav beautiful yomtov memories. I'm not a neat freak but if I'm home all day ill get irritated and clean all day and that is no way to enjoy family time-as the maid!!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 7:43 am
Cleaning lady is a must Erev and during chag.
I budget it as part of the YT expense, and if I have to do without new clothes for YT, then be it. My sanity is worth much more than a new dress or even shoes.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:19 am
This thread is just making me feel even worse. Right now we are covering maybe half our monthly expenses so no their is no money for cleaning help. So how are those of us with no cleaning help supposed to manage?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:30 am
amother wrote:
This thread is just making me feel even worse. Right now we are covering maybe half our monthly expenses so no their is no money for cleaning help. So how are those of us with no cleaning help supposed to manage?

Don't feel bad! Mostly people with cleaning help responded to this thread. The rest of us are hiding out because we are too embarrassed! Just know you're normal. How do I keep my house clean on a 3 day y't? haha! It gets to be a mess!

myself

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:41 am
Don't feel bad OP, I don't generally use cleaning help over Yom Tov. Many people don't.
If you want your house to stay clean you need to keep on top of it. If you sleep in while the kids are having a heyday downstairs, that's asking for trouble before you begin.

Frequent tidying is much more manageable than a large clean-up. Encourage the kids to put away their toy/game before they take another one. Clean/tidy the table after and during each meal. Spend some time outdoors so the house doesn't get too dirty. Involve the kids by making a game out of clean-up or by offering a reward e.g. after everyone has put away/picked up x amount of things we'll go out for a walk/have a treat/play a game etc.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:46 am
No cleaning help. 3 kids oldest is 4.5. All toys get put away before bedtime. Kitchen and dining room is swept after each meal. I mainly use disposable tins so there are no pots sitting around. My kitchen counters do get very dirty. How do u clean ur counters on yomtov when u.cant squeeze? I am more or less able to keep house clutter free but its dirty.

fbmommy

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 10:03 am
Best idea is to prevent mess from happening-keep straightening and sweeping all day long.
Another vote for nice disposable dishes some of the meals. And yes, if food is prepared before hand is disposable pans there will be no pots out.
Also, if you precut paper towel before hand you can spray the bathroom/counters/other surfaces with Lysol and wipe lightly.

fbmommy

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 10:04 am
fatso gal wrote:
I don't know if you are in Israel and not used to multiple day You Tov's but you are not allowed to do prep for the next day. So for example on Thursday day you can not do any cooking or dishes for Thursday night.

This is something you should ask about-if you have a small kitchen and the dishes are out on the counter you may be able to wash them.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 10:07 am
Clean? 3 day yom tov? Ha!

You close your eyes. And live thru it.
Bh my house is mostly pretty clutter free.
But with a 2.5 yo and 4 yo messy eaters the floors and everything aroumd gets DIRTY.

Kids play downstairs or outside.
I do a quick sweep and clean after each meal. I use tin foils. Fancy plastic dishes. (I don't have elegant china or anything fancy. Those are prettier than my regular meat everyday dishes.)
I put a disposable plastic tablecloth other the counter and serve / prepare on that. Collect after meal and you have a clean countertop!

Tidy up before bed.

The floors, bathroom, walls, chairs, serving dishes/utensils/cutlery gets washed post yom tov.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 10:09 am
LisaS wrote:
Living room/dining room has to be tidied before dessert at every meal.

I'd be happy for advice about how to keep the boys bathroom in check over three days.

Clorox wipes. Careful not to squeeze, though for me I've never found them to be too wet that squeezing is an issue.

LuckyMum

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 10:13 am
Staying on top of the mess is the key - don't let it get out of hand. After every meal tidy and sweep kitchen and dining room, wash all dishes after each meal (if you are doing it to keep yur house clean, and not to prepare for the next meal - it is permissible, as it is for now, not prep for later. Ask yur lor)
Put water with a tiny drip of mr clean for smell in a spray bottle - you can spray down yur counters and wipe with pre-cut papertowels. You can use this to spot clean big black spots on yur floor or a bad aim job in the bathroom.
The toy closet gets locked - one toy out at a time - they want other, pack it away and you take out another for them.
Beds and bedrooms get tidied up each morning and after naps.
True it takes a bit of work, but staying on top of the messes on a constant basis keeps it from getting out of hand.
This way my house stays clean and neat all yom tov with no help - just a handful of small mess makers :-)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics