Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you keep your house clean for a 3-day chag?
Previous  1  2

Shoshana37

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
This thread is just making me feel even worse. Right now we are covering maybe half our monthly expenses so no their is no money for cleaning help. So how are those of us with no cleaning help supposed to manage?

Thank you for your honesty I feel the same way after paying registrations and tuitions for September I have nothing left for hagim, no new clothes this year and for sure can't afford cleaning lady. I'm so overwhelmed it's making me sick I hope I can enjoy the holidays. 😰

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 12:43 pm
Quote:
No cleaning help. 3 kids oldest is 4.5. All toys get put away before bedtime. Kitchen and dining room is swept after each meal. I mainly use disposable tins so there are no pots sitting around. My kitchen counters do get very dirty. How do u clean ur counters on yomtov when u.cant squeeze? I am more or less able to keep house clutter free but its dirty.

Similar situation. 4 kids oldest is 7 and with special needs.

I learned to use disposables as much as possible and try to have everything cooked before YT and reheating in disposable foils.

Re the bolded:I cut disposable plastic tablecloths to the size of the counter and use a fresh piece before serving and discard after each meal.

As much as possible I try to contain the toys into one room/area of the house. Only 1-2 toys at a time and cleanup before each new task. (For example: neaten up room-get dressed; neaten up room-breakfast and davening; cleanup time- snack and storytime; etc, etc. Figure out your own schedule with these things.)

Straighten up eating areas right after each meal. Clear the tables, sweep and put away stuff that is just sitting around.

"Shabbos wipes" are used a lot around here. From messy faces, counters when really needed, to bathrooms etc. It helps keep the dirt at bay.

Good luck

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 1:08 pm
Why can't you clean counters? We do so all shabbos and YT. Wipe all crumbs/everything off. Then spray and wipe clean. It doesn't get so wet that there's wringing involved.

iyar

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 1:25 pm
Shoshana37 wrote:
Thank you for your honesty I feel the same way after paying registrations and tuitions for September I have nothing left for hagim, no new clothes this year and for sure can't afford cleaning lady. I'm so overwhelmed it's making me sick I hope I can enjoy the holidays. 😰

There are no longer any permanent residents in my home who toddle around with sticky fingers, don't know how to use cutlery, and festoon the house with finger painted shofars and yellow paper chickens with feathers stuck on them.
When there were, my answer to the OP would have been a resounding, "I don't."
Please don't be shocked. And please don't feel sorry if your answer is the same.
I hope you can find a moment to sit back for a second on Yom Tov and just enjoy the messiness and the happiness of the Chag.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics