Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you find this rude?

amother

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 8:52 pm
What do you think about exchanging a baby gift you received for something for your own use?
we got loads of baby clothing gifts for our newborn-more than we need. Money is kind of tight and I would love to get something nice for myself-some makeup or clothing....Some of the gifts came with gift receipts from dept. stores...
Do you think it's ill-mannered to pamper myself instead of keeping the clothes for baby? Twisted Evil

Clarissa

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 8:58 pm
Honestly, I wouldn't do it. I think people mean for their gifts to go to the baby. What you might do is return it for store credit, and then use it down the line. At some point you'll need more clothing and supplies for the baby, as the gift-giving dries up pretty quickly. What I generally did was return things I didn't need, kept track of the amounts, and spent it on the baby later on. That way they were still giving to the baby.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 9:05 pm
I say go for it! I ended up with a ton of credit for Gap and Macys. I used the gap mone for myself. I know that gap is expensve and that I could buy my kids cheaper clothing at other places but that it would be really nice to treat myself to something new that I would not have normally bought for myself.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 9:31 pm
I think it's fine...I often give something just for the mother.

ruthanne

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 9:45 pm
Go for it!
When people give gifts they just want to give you something that you will use, I cant imagine them being upset if you use it for yourself.

Clarissa

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 9:52 pm
Well, I see I've been outvoted here, so obviously most people would do it and you have your answer.

I will say one thing, though. Two friends of mine gave me gifts for me (one when I had my baby and one for his first birthday) and I loved it.

Whatever you do wind up doing, enjoy it! Smile

Tefila

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 10:18 pm
Quote:
Do you think it's ill-mannered to pamper myself instead of keeping the clothes for baby?

If you don't tell, I won't tell Twisted Evil

Seriously as long as you send nice Thank-You notes, those gifts are for you, your baby, and mishpacha to enjoy.
Your baby won't know the difference aside from having a happy mother Very Happy

greenfire

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 10:28 pm
I would exchange some of the things for bigger sizes for a later time ... unless you really got sooooooooo much stuff that baby won't need stuff later ... babies grow quickly - plus they meant the gift for the baby ... What

lubcoralsprings

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 10:30 pm
I got a wedding gift from someone that my parents had given them on a previous occasion. I couldn't believe how stupid the person was to give it to me.

ssbarnes

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 11:43 pm
I exchanged for store credit and used it to purchase clothes for my sons when they had outgrown the clothes already purchased. This way the intention of the giver was fulfilled.

However, once a gift is given, the ownership has been transferred and you can do whateve ryou wish with it.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 12:53 am
I think if the gift included the receipt it really isn't a problem. if they didn't give you a receipt and you managed to exchange it anyway it might not be in the best taste, but it still is your gift to do what you wish with.

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 12:56 am
If you feel that you want to get something for yourself, you should. I always give my friends two gifts, one little thing for them, and a gift for the baby. A woman after giving birth needs to feel pampered, and she should do whatever will make her feel good.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 1:06 am
I got a gift from a relative (food processor), but a different relative gave us a much nicer one..

So we took the first one to the store to exchange it, now I had not opened the box ok?? The person at the desk opened the box and said to me, "very funny if you want to return something atleast clean it. And by the way this brand is from like 2 years ago, at most they will give u $2 as it's clearance now."

She was really snotty and I was almost in tears, newlywed given a USED gift!! Manager appologized, and gave me a gift card for $10.

Family are so weird Rolling Eyes

grin

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 1:08 am
Making the mother happy is defintiely for the baby's good - use it for yourself and that way everyone benefits - their gift made someone very happy (anyhow the baby really coudn't care less what clothes he's wearing) and the baby has an even happier mother who can appreciate him/her that much more!

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 1:10 am
Quote:
very funny if you want to return something atleast clean it. And by the way this brand is from like 2 years ago, at most they will give u $2 as it's clearance now."

shock Yikes you poor girl

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 1:16 am
of course the mommy should be pampered ... but not with the babies "diapers" :shocked: Nervous Twisted Evil ... the husband ... yourself ... you're mom ... perhaps ... but not at the cost of the babies presents ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette