Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy morning muffin/bar

champion

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 4:41 am
I am looking for healthy options for my 4 year old daughter.
her friends come to preschool with a snack/cookie in the morning that they eat before breakfast.
I am looking for something that would be healthy but also not leave her feeling deprived.
Any kind of muffin or bar would work.
Ideally with some kind of fruit and healthy grain.

yogabird

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 8:08 am
Can they bring nuts? I have 2 delicious muffin recipes made with Oat and almond flour and very minimal added sweeteners. One is banana chocolate chip, one is blueberry.

champion

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 8:21 am
all ingredients are fine

Maryann

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 8:26 am
Can you please post recepe?

water_bear88

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 8:27 am
My kids (and I) love these bars: http://www.thekitchn.com/recip.....56571

Maryann

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 8:29 am
Thanks can you also post blueberry one?

yogabird

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 11:06 am
https://minimalistbaker.com/ba.....onal/

These are the banana ones I made. I used regular eggs instead of flax eggs. I used store bought almond flour instead of almond meal. I switched up the ratio -- used 3/4 cup each of oat flour and almond flour. I also added in a small handful of teeny chocolate chips and 3 T chia seeds. Baked for 35 minutes. They came out yummy, my picky kid who often skips breakfast ate this one twice.

yogabird

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 1:49 pm
Here's the blueberry recipe:

1 c. almond flour
1 c. oat flour (old fashioned oats processed in food processor until finely ground)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 T oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c. milk (I use almond milk)
1/3 c. honey (I swap this out for additional 1/4 c. milk + 3T coconut sugar + 3 packets stevia)
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 c. blueberries (I use frozen)

Mix the first 4 ingredients with a whisk or a fork, if using frozen blueberries add them in to coat with flour, this prevents them from turning the entire batter blue.

Mix the the rest of the ingredients in an other bowl with a fork, add into the dry ingredients and mix gently a few times until just combined. Lumpy is fine. Do not overmix. I like to let the batter sit a few minutes so the vinegar can activate the baking soda. Pour 1/4 cup batter into lined muffin tin. This recipe makes about 10 muffins.

bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Teomima

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 4:31 pm
A long time ago I starting making up a recipe using whatever fairly healthy ingredients I have at home at the time: whole grain flour, unsweetened date honey (silan), pumpkin puree, unsweetened applesauce, rolled oats, almond meal, etc. Add eggs to bind and baking powder and soda to rise, and I scoop it onto a tray. They bake like very cake-y cookies which we call breakfast cookies and my kids adore them. Full disclosure though, I usually add a handful of chocolate chips.

yogabird

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 5:18 pm
Teomima wrote:
A long time ago I starting making up a recipe using whatever fairly healthy ingredients I have at home at the time: whole grain flour, unsweetened date honey (silan), pumpkin puree, unsweetened applesauce, rolled oats, almond meal, etc. Add eggs to bind and baking powder and soda to rise, and I scoop it onto a tray. They bake like very cake-y cookies which we call breakfast cookies and my kids adore them. Full disclosure though, I usually add a handful of chocolate chips.

I sometimes do this too.

emzod42

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 5:53 pm
Banana oatmeal cups: http://greenlitebites.com/2009.....hips/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking