Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Buying sheitel online- kosher hair?

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 11:42 pm
If you buy a sheitel online, how do you know the hair is OK to use?
Thank you.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 11:50 pm
I have a few friends who order synthetics online. Some look absolutely beautiful! I totally forgot the name of the website, but will post once I remember.

BH5745

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 2:51 pm
Have you tried MalkyWigs? She has a website and is also on eBay. Actually I've seen a few forums about her sheitels here on imamother. Most seem really satisfied with the service, quality and price of her kosher sheitels. Also some sheitel brands have websites you can order from. If you're keeping it under $500 or so online ordering can be a good option.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 5:13 pm
There's no such thing as non kosher hair.

reality mom

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 5:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
There's no such thing as non kosher hair.

I believe OP is referring to Indian hair sacrificed for Avodah Zarah and deemed treif by rabbanim.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 5:29 pm
reality mom wrote:
I believe OP is referring to Indian hair sacrificed for Avodah Zarah and deemed treif by rabbanim.

And IIRC, all that was debunked.

reality mom

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 5:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
And IIRC, all that was debunked.

Not that I'm aware of. Many sheitel companies are still tagging their wigs with hechsheirim. There was actually an article in the Torah Times recently (like two weeks ago) signed by many major rabbanim stating that most wigs are assur, even those with kosher certifications, since 99 percent of hair originates from India, and is then shipped to different countries and sold as "European" hair, "Brazilian" hair, and the like. Hasn't stopped me, or anyone I know from wearing their wigs, but just stating that rabbanim still feel strongly against the use of "Indian hair" wigs. Or maybe they just prefer we all wear scarves. Confused

going-up

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 5:47 pm
Most wigs nowadays are made from Indian hair. Even many synthetics have some human hair blended in, the only way to check is to put hair remover cream through the synthetic wig if it washes off and no hair comes off you know it's fully synthetic. On the other hand if the wig sheds it means it had human hair in it.

CDL

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 5:49 pm
I go according to rabanim who say all hair is kosher to use, even Indian hair.

happysmile1

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 2:42 am
It was definitely not debunked!
As posted before there are posters and ads all over the place recently that most of the hair in all the sheitels is Indian temple hair. The chashuv Rabbanim (most of them are actually dayanim) that signed the letter found that the hechshers on the wigs are completely false and not reliable. And Rav Elyashiv totally forbade the use of any Indian hair- he said it was completely avoda Zora. It's a very serious sin, not something to be taken lightly and joke about.
It makes a lot of sense after you read all the facts and info about the topic. Simple supply and demand. There's TONS of Indian temple hair available (600 million women in India shave their heads!) - it's beautiful, long and affordable - and a huge demand for the hair to make sheitels.
The labels are all a lie- they don't mean anything. It just means where the hair was chemically processed (which all wigs are today), not where the hair originated from.
I have a friend who is a well established sheitel macher and she's been horrified for years by all the lies and corruption in the industry. She's also known for a while that almost all the hair in the sheitels is Indian hair. She told me that the online ordering is a big problem too. The term "kosher" means nothing- it just means they raised the prices cuz they know Jewish customers will pay it! It doesn't mean the hair is kosher at all. No wig can be called kosher unless someone takes the hair off of someone's head themselves and than manufactures the wig themselves- or watches someone else do it the whole time from start to finish. The problem is also in China where most of the wigs are manufactured- there is no regulation there and any hair that is sent there is mixed up with other hair which most likely contains Indian temple hair.
If you read Mr. Selva's article in the full report on avoda Zora in our wigs today (you can get it by emailing avodazarafacts@gmail.com) it's really shocking to see all the evidence. He's the owner of a major Indian hair company and he writes how he knows many people that buy Indian hair and than sell it as "kosher"- so beware!
It is definitely a big issue!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels