Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Blindfolding boys on the way to Uman, is it worse than
Previous  1  2

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 5:24 pm
Who copied who? Wink

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co.....ndows

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
Who copied who? Wink

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co.....ndows

I had to come up with a zippy new title in light of Watergirls sensibilities, I must say I wasn't aware of that thread.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 6:25 pm
I know someone who did shmira in the old city as part of his IDF service and saw someone walk into a wall because he refused to lift his head.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 8:39 am
Gotta leave in the world Hashem created for us. Just use regular shmiras eynaim halachos. FTR the Uman guys I know are normal.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 8:45 am
Ruchel wrote:
Gotta leave in the world Hashem created for us. Just use regular shmiras eynaim halachos. FTR the Uman guys I know are normal.

How is what these boys are doing not following shmiras eynayim halachos? They are being super careful not to accidentally see something they shouldn't. What's wrong with that?

Chloe

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 9:04 am
amother wrote:
How is what these boys are doing not following shmiras eynayim halachos? They are being super careful not to accidentally see something they shouldn't. What's wrong with that?

If that's their definition of shmiras einiyim, how are they going to live in the real world?
Will they be putting on blinders whenever they're not home? To me it seems like something to do to not have to work on your shmiras einiyim. The easy way out. I have nothing against them or whichever way they wanna practice guarding their eyes. But I personally do not find this commendable, unless they're planning to go live on Planet Males.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 9:17 am
amother wrote:

What they are doing is called acting like idiots. If you don't realize that, then perhaps you went to the same school for idiots as they did.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 9:55 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
What they are doing is called acting like idiots. If you don't realize that, then perhaps you went to the same school for idiots as they did.

Well, I still think it wasn't real.

But the answer is that Hashem made this whole beautiful world for us to marvel at. And that includes nature and art and architecture and everything else. Shmiras eiynayim isn't opposed to, or opposite of, that. It says don't go out seeking smut, and when you encounter it, turn away. If you know that there's a bunch of strip clubs on Street 1, and toy stores on Street 2, you walk down Street 2. But if you walk down Street 1 by mistake, you don't close your eyes, but you do try to avert them.

I was once at a restaurant, and another woman there had a shirt that overfloweth. A lot. A group of RW men walked in, and were seated at the table next to her. They quietly asked to be moved to another empty table, and didn't look over. They practiced shimaras eiynayim perfectly. No blinders required.

Judaism doesn't require obsessive extremes. Sure, you could be tzniut by wearing a burka. It meets the criteria. But its unnecessary. You could practice TH by having no contact at all with your spouse except on mikvah night. But its outside what's reasonably required. And I'd argue that its so far out of bounds as to be problematic. Like blindfolds in public.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 10:28 am
amother wrote:

If you are talking about blindfolds, there is nothing normal with this. Nothing. I can't believe you would find it "not wrong". Safety comes before such extreme, no chillul Hashem, and simply derech Eretz. It is simply not a THING in Judaism. Or even islam.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics