Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would you say something?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 6:17 pm
And if yes, what, and to whom?

My 4 yo son swallowed a penny. When I asked him about it, he said "but my teacher could, so why can't I?"

He said that his teacher showed them magic tricks. One of them being swallowing a penny and magically taking it out of her neck.

Am I overreacting in assuming that this teacher has no experience? It's a substitute until after YT, so do I just let it go?

It just doesn't sit right with me. You don't awe 4 year olds by pretending to swallow coins. Or balloons. Or anything they're bound to try.

doctorima

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 6:24 pm
I'm confused - did the teacher just do a magic trick for the class, or did he/she tell your son that he could do so as well? If the teacher just did a magic trick and DS didn't understand it was magic and tried to emulate, I'm not sure that's the teacher's fault. But if DS asked the teacher and was told he could do so as well, that's certainly not okay, and I would definitely say something to the administration.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 6:26 pm
doctorima wrote:
I'm confused - did the teacher just do a magic trick for the class, or did he/she tell your son that he could do so as well? If the teacher just did a magic trick and DS didn't understand it was magic and tried to emulate, I'm not sure that's the teacher's fault. But if DS asked the teacher and was told he could do so as well, that's certainly not okay, and I would definitely say something to the administration.

She just did the trick, obviously didn't tell them that they can swallow a coin and magically take it out of their necks. But these are 4 year olds. They take magic tricks as facts.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 6:35 pm
I would definitely say something!

QUEENY

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 6:40 pm
doctorima wrote:

YEs the teacher is at fault...these are 4 yr olds!!!! You wouldn't touch fire in front of a little kid and say don't do it. Children love to copy older people...you don't model things that are dangerous!!!

cm

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 7:09 pm
Call the teacher and ask her what happened. The student's perspective and the teacher's are not always the same. It would be interesting to hear the adult version as well as the child's. Between the two, you'll get a better idea of what happened.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 7:29 pm
cm wrote:
Call the teacher and ask her what happened. The student's perspective and the teacher's are not always the same. It would be interesting to hear the adult version as well as the child's. Between the two, you'll get a better idea of what happened.

As in?
I'm not sure I understand.
Btw, this child is a twin and both saw the same thing and related it the same way.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 7:35 pm
It sounds like the teacher was trying to entertain them and didn't realize the implications. I think you should say something to her, not the administration, in a non threatening way. Substitutes don't always have the perspective if the age they are teaching, since it is temporary.
Relate the story to her and then make a request. Ask her to explain to your children that it was not real, but only her hands moving so fast, and that she never meant for them to copy. This is damage control and she'll kniw for the future.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 12:19 am
it is fully understandable that you are shaken up after your child swallowed a coin, I'd be too. Is it the teachers fault? I'd say, no. could she be more careful, probably yes, I'd assume she did say, not to emulate that at home. That could actually trigger for some kids to do so. in the world at large there is a lot of dangerous magic been showed to adults and to youngsters. we as mothers should be more careful to teach our kids, not to do dangerous things even if others do it.

myname1

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 2:46 am
I agree with those above who said tell the teacher what happened so she can be more careful in the future. But I don't think it's necessarily true that the teacher has no experience. I have a lot of experience with young kids, and I'm not sure I would have expected this outcome either.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 2:54 am
Many many people have been injured trying to emulate magic tricks. Rav Moshe holds that you can only do magic tricks if you make it clear that it's slight of hand or telling how it's done.
Most other authorities assur it completely.
That was very irresponsible what she did. She could have entertained them better by teaching them a trick.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 6:54 am
Please tell the teacher.she obviously didnt expect this outcome, so its importantt for her to "see" the effects of her tricks on 4 yr olds. Now shell know not to do it for 4 yr olds or shelll explain to them........

But please dont go to administration before first talking to her. Would you like it if people complained to ur boss instead of talking to u first???

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 10:53 am
Thanks all for your input. I'll ask the teacher to explain the idea of tricks as well as to show them how it was done. (That didn't work when I tried showing my kids "oh no! The teacher really swallowed it!")

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 1:37 pm
This is why I strongly dislike the old pulling a coin out of the ear trick to entertain young children. Kids have a tendency to believe it's real and will try to stick items where they don't belong. I pretend to pull things out of their belly buttons instead because they can't hurt themselves attempting to copy me.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 1:39 pm
I'm very anti disclaimers and stuff, but with kids, YES tell them not to replicate.

Now, pulling coins out of ears? Harmless.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks all for your input. I'll ask the teacher to explain the idea of tricks as well as to show them how it was done. (That didn't work when I tried showing my kids "oh no! The teacher really swallowed it!")

If I may ask, how was the conversation with the teacher? was she open to hear? did you also spoke with the administration?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 2:06 pm
Some people don't realize how literally 4yo kids can take things. Even the "super smart" ones have a hard time telling fact from fiction.

I remember my sister at that age. My grandpa use to play "got your nose", and she would cry hysterically until he "gave her nose back". My grandpa was mean, and sometimes wouldn't give back her nose for hours, just to see how long my sister would cry. I'd show her in the mirror that she really had her nose, but she didn't ever believe me. Grandpa had it!

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 7:41 pm
surprisingly nobody is addressing the kid who swallowed the penny - has he been brought to the emergency room ?!?!?!

when sonny boy was little in the hospital for something else, a patient in the next bed had swallowed a penny & it never came out ... he had a horrible infection as the penny turned green in his stomach & needed a procedure along with intravenous antibiotics !!!

of course the teacher should be told of the repercussions her "trick" had that aren't magical at all but dangerous - saying nothing of the choking hazard as kids have small air passages that can readily be blocked by a penny

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 12:48 pm
greenfire wrote:
surprisingly nobody is addressing the kid who swallowed the penny - has he been brought to the emergency room ?!?!?!

Updating: yes I took him for X-rays. It was in his stomach, so thankfully not lodged anywhere dangerous. Haven't seen it in his stools though so I'll have to take him back for another X-ray.

I did speak to the substitute. She felt terrible and thanked me for making her aware. She showed the class step by step, but it took some convincing for my son to really believe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics