Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Desperately looking for a used car....

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 7:27 pm
....because it's probably less expensive than a new one...

I'm in desperate need of a car, for medical reasons. Public transportation is not an option (medical issues). Car service is no longer an option (financial and medical reasons)

Where to look for one? What to look out for?
Is car fax a reliable resource? Are auctions a viable option? (Not sure I can do it, but assuming I find a way to suck up the ordeal)

I'm in nyc.

Thanks!

doctorima

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 7:57 pm
Make sure to have it checked out by a mechanic you trust, and ideally try to get a decent warranty (hopefully 1 year, if not at least 3-6 months) to protect yourself against anything major going bad right away. And make sure it wasn't in any accidents or floods.

tryingmybest

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 8:00 pm
What kind of car? I may know someone looking to sell an old car not very nice or anything but does the job

loveit

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 8:02 pm
Depending on the size of car and how many miles you need to drive there are a ton of great leasing deals for well below $199. In general I'm anti leasing but for certain situations it's a great option. This way you don't need to worry about previous history, shuttling back and forth to a mechanic, etc. leasing in this situation can be the fastest option.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 8:59 pm
tryingmybest wrote:
What kind of car? I may know someone looking to sell an old car not very nice or anything but does the job

Any kind of car that does the job. Function is key for me, not fashion. It should have room for two people.
Thanks!

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 9:02 pm
loveit wrote:
Depending on the size of car and how many miles you need to drive there are a ton of great leasing deals for well below $199. In general I'm anti leasing but for certain situations it's a great option. This way you don't need to worry about previous history, shuttling back and forth to a mechanic, etc. leasing in this situation can be the fastest option.

I often travel out of state for medical appointments, sometimes staying there for two weeks at a time. What good is a leased car if I'm far away?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 5:08 pm
Avis (the car rental company) sells their cars after a while - it's the cars that they rent out and after they have gone a certain number of miles or are more than a certain number of years old, they sell them. They have usually kept them in excellent shape and have rigorous records. You'll just get a car with high mileage for it's age, but it will work fine, and much cheaper than a new car. My family members have done this a few times each, and it always worked out great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics