Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Quit nursing cold turkey

Gitch

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 7:21 am
My ds who is just over a year old has quit nursing! Last night he refused to nurse before bed and this morning as well! What do I do?

Should I pump and try to give him bottles, or accept that this is it?

What do I feed him now that I can't rely on the breastmilk to fillhim up? I've been giving him solids for a long time now, but I knew he was getting the main nutrition from nursing. How do I know now that he's full?

I've been giving him cows milk since he turned 1, how much should he now drink every day? Is almond or soy milk also nutritious? What do I give him to drink after meat?

Any tips to deal with this engorgement over Yom tov?

thanks!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 7:45 am
My first thought is to check if you're pregnant.
Keep offering him to nurse.
If you get engorged, you can pump in a way that gives you relief but renders the milk unusable, like over the sink or a cleaning agent in the bottle.

salt

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 7:50 am
By age 1, a child's main nutrition is not from breast milk. Does he eat a variety of foods/fruits/veg/chicken/fish/dairy?
He doesn't need to drink a certain amount of milk.
How did you know he was full enough when you nursed him? I assume he stopped drinking. Likewise with a cup of cow's milk, or any other food - he'll eat if he's hungry he won't if he's not.

And I also thought like previous poster, could be a sign that you're pregnant.

salt

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 7:52 am
There are different opinions how long to wait between meat and milk. I seem to remember that at that age we were told to wait 1 hour.
And once they understand that they have to wait, then the full time.

He can drink water after eating a fleishig meal.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 8:00 am
He can drink milk after meat. He's only one. Just don't serve them together.

smile18

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 8:16 am
Whole cabbage can be a great help when being engorged. Put a big pc on the area you feel pain or engorged and remove after a while. Most of the time it helps and you feel relieved

pesek zman

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 8:16 am
salt wrote:
There are different opinions how long to wait between meat and milk. I seem to remember that at that age we were told to wait 1 hour.
And once they understand that they have to wait, then the full time.

He can drink water after eating a fleishig meal.

Really? We eat chicken and meat for dinner every night. By your calculation my toddler would never be able to have milk before bed

Gitch

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 8:19 am
Thank you! And nope- not pregnant. (Took test last week when I was a few days late, and then got my period)

I'm also nervous about nap time - he stopped pacifiers when he was 3 months old and only falls asleep for naptime latched on. How will I get him to sleep now? At night he lets me put him to bed awake but not during the day.

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 9:27 am
One of my kids quit cold-turkey on me at 10.5 months--she was a "big baby" so I wasn't concerned. I too was not pregnant at the time she just didn't look back.

I've never heard of "waiting" between milchigs and fleishigs so young--we were told as long as there were no actual food on their mouth-so just clean the face . My youngest is still not waiting more than a 1/2 hr. She just doesn't understand. "age of chinuch" isn't until at least 6 yrs old, though for my kids younger than that we try to push them to wait as long as they cant.

At 1 yrs old the child should be able to indicate in someway that he or she is or isn't hungry. The rule with toddlers is generally don't look at the day's consumption, but rather the week. Some days they might be eating everything in sight, and others extremely picky. And as my mother always said about my brother "he grew 6ft tall on cheerios"

I ended up giving a milk bottle for nap time. I've heard its not as bad for the teeth as a juice bottle b/c of the calcium and protein and so far my kids haven't had any problems with their teeth.

baltomom

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 9:39 am
I also had one who quit nursing cold turkey at around 11 months. The only explanation I could figure out was that she had bitten me while nursing the day before and I yelled, so she got scared. You should not pump a lot, because then you will continue producing milk--only pump a small amount to relieve engorgement. Ask your LOR what do to over Y"T--that is a complication. I found cabbage leaves to be an amazing remedy for engorgement. They feel more soothing if chilled--put the whole head in the fridge and take off leaves to put on you. They somehow absorb milk and become limp, as though cooked. Then you can put on fresh leaves.(You will smell like you've been making stuffed cabbage!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics