Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Seeking High School for DS with Learning Disabilities

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 10:02 pm
I am looking for a high school anywhere in the Continental United States that can accommodate a boy who has profound learning disabilities. He is not stupid (IQ is average), and he compensates by having a good memory. But I really want him to be in an environment that understands different learning styles, and is trained in special ed.
He has some behavior issues as well - nothing horrible. He's not "at risk" religiously, nor violent, etc. But he can be a bit of a class clown when he's bored (which is often since he's having a hard time learning), he gives up easily on school work, and he has some anxiety as well. He's in a typical classroom right now, and while he's doing OK socially, I wouldn't say he has stellar social skills.
Here's what I'm NOT looking for: A yeshiva that caters to kids who have a hard time learning, but isn't up to date on learning disabilities, nor have educators actually trained in special ed on staff.
I'm open to anything on the frum spectrum from modern orthodox to RW yeshivesh, including Chabad. I just need a high school that is professional and knows what they're doing.

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 10:35 pm
Try TABC in Teaneck. I've heard very good things about it dealing with out of the box learners.

mha3484

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 10:35 pm
Doresh in Miami

amother
Green

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 11:28 pm
Look into the learning center at haftr in cedarhurst

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 11:53 pm
[/quote]Doresh in Miami[quote]

I seem to remember hearing good things about this place a while ago...do you have personal experience with it?

mha3484

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 12:19 am
I helped my mother in law find a yeshiva for my bil it’s a little complicated. It was not for him but we really impressed with what the head of the school told us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)