Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
All Natural-Hair Wigs Banned Again!
  1  2  3  13  14  15  Next

Mevater

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 12:19 am
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Which New York Rabbonim are banning human sheitels now?

Boca00

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 12:31 am
It seems to be all Israeli rabbonim...

Mevater

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 12:39 am
Possibly American Rabbonim areanalyzing the issue and havent publicized their Psak yet.

Is there a chance that no American Rabbonim will agree?

Boca00

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 12:40 am
Mevater wrote:
Possibly American Rabbonim areanalyzing the issue and havent publicized their Psak yet.

Is there a chance that no American Rabbonim will agree?

Yes, this has come up before... I don't really understand what new information they have this time

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 12:43 am
Didn't Rabbi Belsky pasken that the shaitels are ok?

Mevater

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 12:44 am
Boca00 wrote:
Yes, this has come up before... I don't really understand what new information they have this time

It seems that in recent years, Rabbonim felt secure that certain hair sources are definitely not related to the Indian religious custom of selling hair for religious purposes.

Now, theyre saying you cant possibly know the source of any hair, for sure.

Boca00

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 12:49 am
Mevater wrote:
It seems that in recent years, Rabbonim felt secure that certain hair sources are definitely not related to the Indian religious custom of selling hair for religious purposes.

Now, theyre saying you cant possibly know the source of any hair, for sure.

Thank you. I would be surprised if the Gedolim that originally did the research didn't have this information... But I guess we will have to wait and see what happens here...

happysmile1

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 4:25 am
I actually emailed for the full report which you can get by emailing avodazarafacts@gmail.com
It was pretty shocking. They have a significant amount of evidence that there ismost probably Indian temple hair in all the wigs and that all the labels on the wigs are meaningless- which means that if you're told that your sheitel is European it's most likely not European but from other sources like Indian hair.
There is so little hair on the market from places like Europe and Russia while Indian temple hair is flooding the markets- millions of Indian women are shaving their heads yearly in India. Their hair is long and beautiful and after chemical processing Indian hair looks just like European hair. And since it's so much more abundant it's much cheaper than European hair. So Indian hair is sent to all these companies in different countries where it is processed and relabeled it however they want (European, Russian, Brazilian etc...)
All the sheitels are processed now, raw hair is actually not appealing to people. It takes about five really long pony to make one sheitel! How many village girls are donating their hair in Europe or Russia anymore? Definitely not enough to be making the quantity of sheitels on the market today.
These Rabbanim made it clear that any hechsher on the wigs is completely unreliable. It's pretty scary stuff. Rav Elyashiv zt"l stated that it's totally forbidden to wear a wig with any Indian hair. (You can feel really sick After seeing the pics of the Indian hair after it was cut full of blood and lice- it's really gross that they shave their hair as a sacrifice to their god and than we take that hair and make it in to sheitels)
I think the American Rabbanim are looking in to the matter right now.

happysmile1

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 4:29 am
I think the new info they have is pretty strong evidence that about 95 percent on the hair on the wig market today is Indian temple hair and that all the hechshers on the wigs are completely unreliable.
The full report has a lot of info about it (more than the poster)

Mevater

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 8:04 am
I predict that because Rabbonim know that most frum women pretty much idolize the way they look in wigs (its sort of a religion for them to look good) and wont stop wearing human hair wigs, Rabbonim will come up with a way around the new findings, and give a Heter, so as not to make it a huge Aveiroh to wear human hair, like mixing some synthetic in with the human.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 8:12 am
Mevater wrote:
I predict that because Rabbonim know that most frum women pretty much idolize the way they look in wigs (its sort of a religion for them to look good) and wont stop wearing human hair wigs, Rabbonim will come up with a way around the new findings, and give a Heter, so as not to make it a huge Aveiroh to wear human hair, like mixing some synthetic in with the human.

If this is not meant as a joke, it's really sad.

And if it is meant as a joke, it's also sad.

Sad to think that "most frum women" engage in avoda zara of worshipping their looks.

Sad to think that those in India who sacrifice their hair are stronger in faith than those frum women who are unable to sacrifice their looks.

Luckily, I don't believe either of those things.

If there is a way to resolve the issue, the poskim will find it.

If not, people will adjust to the new norm.

Last edited by imasinger on Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 8:25 am
imasinger wrote:

Sad to think that "most frum women" engage in avoda zara of worshipping their looks.

Sad to think that those in India who sacrifice their hair are stronger in faith than those frum women who are unable to sacrifice their looks.

It going to be very divisive if the Rabbis enforce a ban. Those with human hair wigs will be seen as less frum than those without.

Schools will be using this as a way to control women. It will became The Shidduch Question.

While I don't worship my looks, I enjoy liking smart and put together. What is wrong with that?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 8:40 am
It seems like the more I read the news, the more I keep looking at my callendar to see if it's Purim yet. It's getting harder and harder to tell if it's a satirical shpiel or not. Rolling Eyes

(I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm happy in my tichels.)

Mevater

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:04 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It seems like the more I read the news, the more I keep looking at my callendar to see if it's Purim yet. It's getting harder and harder to tell if it's a satirical shpiel or not. Rolling Eyes

(I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm happy in my tichels.)

Unlike very many who saved for years and spent many hard earned thousands of dollars on their human hair Sheitels.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:04 am
imasinger wrote:

Except we don't have to sacrifice our looks. it is ok and actually a mitzvah to be besimcha (within halacha).And it's not like Indian women don't care about their looks, are you serious? even beggar women there try!

I really much doubt a normative rabbi will want to pile this on yet again. My own rabbis never agreed the Indian thing was real. I personally don't pick up stuff online to apply to rl.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:13 am
I didn't care about the whole Indian shpiel back then, and I couldn't care less about it now...

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:14 am
Ruchel, my point was that I disagreed with Mevater's statement that most frum women "pretty much idolize" the way they look in wigs.

I agree that women in every community have the right to look their best, and try to do so.

5mom

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:16 am
I'm not a sheitel wearer, so I don't feel directly involved, but really? If we're going to be machmir about one thing, shouldn't it be avoda zara? People seem way too blase about this.

Mevater

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:20 am
5mom wrote:
I'm not a sheitel wearer, so I don't feel directly involved, but really? If we're going to be machmir about one thing, shouldn't it be avoda zara? People seem way too blase about this.

You are 100% correct but how many FRUM well dressed women that you know, would happily go along with a Psak that bans human hair sheitels, and start wearing synthetics, after investing lots of hard earned money, over many years?

marina

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:27 am
If you can buy a church and make it into a shul, I don't understand why you can't buy Indian hair and make it into a sheitel.

It's a global economy now. Are we now going to bar everyone from buying used laptops from Indians because maybe they used their computers to write religious messages?

Also, I don't understand why avodah zara is treated as some sort of evil by the poskim. It's just a misguided and inaccurate belief system like many others. Who cares what silly pagans do? If an atheist book was recycled into a chumash, would anyone bat an eye?
Page 1 of 15   1  2  3  13  14  15  Next Recent Topics