Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Help me build up my "seit supplies"

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 11:31 am
The old school I did seit at preferred for us to use what was in their classrooms. Now I am in a school where I need to bring my own stuff. Can anyone help? Kind of starting from scratch.. I also will be pulling one of the children out of the room for a decent amount of time, so definitely need things for that time. Issues are more social in nature and reasoning/following directions type skills. Readiness skills seem to be up to par. Thanks!!

fbmommy

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 12:37 pm
Try some board games/puzzles that can be done with more than one child, and pull out another friend to work on the social skills together

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 8:28 pm
thanks! anyone have specific names?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 8:59 pm
Shop at unique thrift shop on Fulton street, it's hit or miss but way cheaper.

Cariboo, great fun game

https://smile.amazon.com/Hasbr.....riboo

Don't spend that, but look out for it.

Storefront bingo, categories and anything made by this company, the colors are so beautiful

https://smile.amazon.com/eeBoo.....bingo

Mini puppet theatre and mini puppets

https://smile.amazon.com/HEMAL.....psc=1

Mini, Doll house accessories and ppl/calico critters and sets.

Blank book, I did "Chaya's Heart" we read Avis heart book, then discussed that emotion, learned more about it, put a pic of Chaya happy and wrote what makes her happy. I also did social scenarios in such a book.

https://smile.amazon.com/Recta.....etail

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:50 pm
I second Unique. Also check out Amazing Savings. They have great educational books and toys. Look out for Go Ape card game, a fun and educational game, which Amazing Savings has recently at a great price.

Peach, I love your suggestions .

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 2:43 am
I stalk for finds at Amazing Savings (or your local discount store. Amazing Savings is the best but I'm nearer to a Lot Less. There's a Dollar Tree in Flatbush - not far from Crown Heights - and one near Williamsburg) and freecycle. I don't like to spend real money on SEIT toys because I find I get limited use out of them; each case has such different needs plus they keep needing new toys to keep things fresh. I guess if you get a lot of cases, especially in the same place where it's worth building up a stash, then you might get more mileage out of your toys.

It would be brilliant to have a library where SEITs can pool games and swap them out frequently. If I lived in Brooklyn where there are more frum SEIT sisters in a concentrated location then I would totally do it.

Because I have a small home and can't always keep things in the SEIT location, I like to go for small/light/easily portable toys as much as possible. I got some very portable games at Amazing Savings some time ago - like a color/shapes bingo and a rhyming matching/memory game that fit into an included envelope packet. Colorforms or the similar Melissa and Doug reusable sticker books are another budget-friendly and travel-friendly toy that can be used toward many goals (pretend play, vocabulary/speech/concept building...) https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=n.....r+pad
I especially like the "around town" and "play house" versions for SEIT. Lots more mileage than the other themes and the same $5.

I have a well-used Cariboo that I'd be willing to sell off cheap. It is in only acceptable condition because some of my kids abused it a bit, but it's still very usable and extremely versatile for SEIT use. I just haven't used it in a while because it's on the large side so it doesn't fit my space/travel needs. It's not very heavy but the box is big. If you have space to keep things at your work site then it's a great pick.

I second the vote for Eeboo brand, very young-child-friendly and sturdy pieces. I also like the brand that makes this: https://www.amazon.com/Shoppin.....+list Also very sturdy, good for SEIT goals, and in small packages Wink (eeboo games not especially small, but can be repacked in gallon-size ziplocs for travel) https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=n.....+toys not very cheap but I got mine as hand-me-downs.

Don't underestimate what you can do with a color printer and a bunch of card stock (bought cheaply on Amazon.) I also have a home laminator but I don't use it that much, I feel like most things I can just re-print as needed (again, different kids need different things) and I mostly use the laminator when I want to make something wipe-off-able. This is especially good for kids with a special interest because you can cheaply create theme-specific materials. Like if you're working on tracing/drawing lines it's super easy to just put their favorite character at the end of the line...

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 10:49 am
Bump.
Thanks for all the great recommendations! Any others?

seeker

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 12:26 pm
I got some good mileage out of Zingo this year. Also play-dough with assorted shape/letter cutters.

I have several low-language kids this year so to work on requesting and labeling objects I put literally everything into large ziploc bags. That naturally prompts kids to request what they want. Lots and lots of review/practice and automatically reinforcing.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 2:50 pm
Thanks, seeker!
About how many toys/activities do you keep in your bag at once and how often do you rotate them?

seeker

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 2:57 pm
It totally depends on which kids I'm seeing. I travel light so I just bring what I think I will need for each day's sessions, and I do a lot of work within the classrooms so for those kids I only bring one thing just in case something happens that I need to pull the kid out. Right now I only have four sessions per week that are always mostly pull-out. I'd say that accounting for transitions and for the part of the time that's in the classroom, I go through about 3 activities per session but it really depends on the kid. I have one little guy who can engage with play-dough for a long time. I'm OK with just using play dough for 20+ minutes if he wants. We cover a bunch of conversation/language/social as well as cognitive goals with that. Another kid is more one-and-done so I need more tricks up my sleeve.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 5:16 pm
The Unique store on Fulton street went out of business. I like to look for items on amazon and then look at all the similar items that people looked at/bought. I found many good toys by looking at one toy and then finding different toys that teach similar goals. For following directions check out "Superduper" website. They sell a great book for making printable for teaching following directions and other skills. Their catalog is free and every week a different item is on sale.
Good Luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics