Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Hornet nest removal - DIY or exterminator?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 3:41 pm
So we just noticed a big bald-faced hornet's nest in the big tree that's next to our deck where we build our sukkah, and there are definitely still hornets active in it. Since they haven't bothered us and it's near the end of the season, we would normally just leave them, but the prospect of spending a week outside next to their nest is NOT an option.

DH called some local exterminators, and the best quote he got to remove it was $175, but several said that this is one of the rare cases where they basically use the same spray stuff that we can buy at a hardware store, and that it's not a hard DIY job - just buy a can that sprays from a distance and go out at night when they're all back in the nest, and start with the hole and gradually soak the entire nest.

We'd obviously rather do the job for $10 (cost of can) than $175, but the nest is about 15 feet up in the tree, and the possibilities of things going wrong and DH being stung all over before Yom Tov is quite worrisome. Does anyone have any experience removing a hornet's nest, and recommendations about the best way to do so? I'm in Brooklyn if it makes a difference.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
So we just noticed a big bald-faced hornet's nest in the big tree that's next to our deck where we build our sukkah, and there are definitely still hornets active in it. Since they haven't bothered us and it's near the end of the season, we would normally just leave them, but the prospect of spending a week outside next to their nest is NOT an option.

DH called some local exterminators, and the best quote he got to remove it was $175, but several said that this is one of the rare cases where they basically use the same spray stuff that we can buy at a hardware store, and that it's not a hard DIY job - just buy a can that sprays from a distance and go out at night when they're all back in the nest, and start with the hole and gradually soak the entire nest.

We'd obviously rather do the job for $10 (cost of can) than $175, but the nest is about 15 feet up in the tree, and the possibilities of things going wrong and DH being stung all over before Yom Tov is quite worrisome. Does anyone have any experience removing a hornet's nest, and recommendations about the best way to do so? I'm in Brooklyn if it makes a difference.

Hornets are not harmless birds. As hard as the cost is it does seem worthwhile to have it done professionally while keeping your family safe.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 8:10 pm
Baldies are hostile and aggressive. If one stings you it releases this pheromone that signals to other baldies that it is time to attack.
I live in the land of baldies and would never take it upon myself to remove a mature nest.

Chickpea

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 8:56 pm
I had the same exact issue last Sukkot with a hornets nest that was in my neighbors tree next to our sukkah. I can recommend a certain exterminator that removes hornets nests, if you’re interested. Last year he charged $90.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics