Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Wearing Crocs natives to school

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 8:25 am
My first grade ds has 2 brand new shoes, but refused to wear them to school today. He only wanted to wear his natives.
How nerdy is this? Would you make your 6 year old, or force him to wear shoes?
I can guarantee that he is the only kid in the entire school, that wore natives today or ever.
They are not a solid color, that can pass for shoes. They are all colorful.
His shoes have shoelaces and he did mention that the laces got untied, and he can't tie them. I think that was the issue this morning.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 8:38 am
I'm going to venture that the school is not going to allow it, nerdy or not.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:03 am
My 6 year old wore his natives today too. Was in a rush and couldn't find his shoes.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:06 am
I googled it. I don't see why not.
I wear Malindis to work sometimes.

momX4

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:09 am
be prepared to get a call from the school if its against the dress code. I have allowed my kids to wear crocs in kindergarten. My school aged dc was stopped in school when he wore crocs due to a foot injury.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:28 am
My kid wore her clogs to playgroup....
My middle school niece once got to school and realized shes wearing her open back style crocs. None said a word but she was really embarrassed....

He's 6. If his laces got undone and he can't tie it himself, I totally get it....
Can you get him zubits? It's a really cool magnet thingy that you tie onto the shoe w the laces and there is no more laces to tie. It opens and closed w the magnet.
My husband has it. If his shows are dark it might not even be so noticable. There are lots of colors to match his shoes.
https://www.google.com/search?.....UTF-8

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:17 am
Yes, sounds like the laces are the problem. Try to get something else until he learns how to tie them. Tzutzie's link is cool. When I was a kid there were these curly laces that stayed tight just by pulling them.

Until you get that, you can try letting the natives go but don't be surprised if the school calls him out on it. Be ready to explain and then switch back to the lace-up shoes.

For the future, I would not buy lace-up shoes for a child who is not ready to tie them independently. Getting shoes on and off is one of the first and most helpful dressing skills a child can learn. Velcro is arguably the best invention ever.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 1:51 pm
Yep, no laces until they are totally ready. My oldest is 9, all my kids have either Velcro or slip on skater shoes. Easy shoes=quick morning exit.
Tie the laces by making the initial knot, then two loops, cross them then push one through twice, not once as is normally done. This holds the knot longer and tighter and it can still be untied by pulling the ends as usual.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children