Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
ISO child-free chol hamoed idea (see details)

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:09 am
I will be on my own without kids for half of chol hamoed. Hoping to get together with a couple of other adult female child-free friends.

1. Starting point is NY but may drive outward from there
2. Chol hamoed friendly (I would love to do an art outing but you're not supposed to paint/write on chol hamoed - I may end up asking a shaila about this but looking for alternatives anyway)
3. Low/no budget
4. Not childish, yet still clean.
5. Not mobbed despite chol hamoed/Columbus day (may be hopeless but one can try)
4+5= preferably not full of merrily celebrating triggery families with children

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:09 am
The cheapest and most Chol Hamoed friendly outing is a nice free hike or nature walk, especially if you're willing to drive a bit to where the leaves are changing. There are some beautiful walks/hikes along the Palisades not from from the GW, or if you're willing to drive more, try the Delaware Water Gap area or Catskills/Shawangunks. If you want more of an activity, we had a lovely time touring West Point one Chol Hamoed, or look into Gillette Castle in CT.

Optione

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:25 am
I second doctorima!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:30 am
I was looking for something more on the "fun" side but a hike is definitely one worthy idea. I'll look into the tours, too - the more interesting the better.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:19 pm
bump

water_bear88

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:40 pm
A hike is a great idea! Do ask a shaila if an art outing would really increase your simchat chag. There are rabbanim who allow it for pleasure, especially if it's not expert-level work.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:46 pm
My fav place to go alone is the Art Museum. My kids find it really boring and whine the whole time.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:51 pm
doctorima wrote:
The cheapest and most Chol Hamoed friendly outing is a nice free hike or nature walk, especially if you're willing to drive a bit to where the leaves are changing. There are some beautiful walks/hikes along the Palisades not from from the GW, or if you're willing to drive more, try the Delaware Water Gap area or Catskills/Shawangunks. If you want more of an activity, we had a lovely time touring West Point one Chol Hamoed, or look into Gillette Castle in CT.

A couple of places that probably wouldn't be full of kids:

http://stormking.org/

https://www.nybg.org/event/chihuly-2/

Miri7

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:01 pm
Maybe an architecture tour? Those can be interesting and fun, and typically have adults, not kids.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:57 pm
My Rav said that I could paint on Chol Hamoed if I'm not doing so professionally. It's not cheap, but we love going to places like Color Me Mine or Glaze, etc....so relaxing and enjoyable, and you come home with a pretty piece you designed yourself.

rosey

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:50 pm
I used to do road trips at every opportunity all over the place, (by car and train/bus) and there are tons of great places off the beaten path. There are artsy little towns going upstate, the finger lakes region, if it's not too far, for beautiful water falls, and small towns, often with quirky museums and attractions. As someone mentioned, catching the leaves turn is a major attraction in itself, and there are websites to help you plan a trip to the best spots, just not sure how far they are at this point.

Doing a quick search I found a ton of natural wonders, Howe Caverns, a few places that were the "Grand Canyon of the East". Be a tourist, do some searches and have a great trip!

amother
Green

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 9:54 pm
Thinking for chol hamoed or plain. Where is there a vineyard. I mean where we can walk around by the grape bushes. My husband and I would love to smell a vineyard. Closes to NYC that allows visitors. Maybe with other produce too. Yeah I know I sound 50 but hey I'm soon there

doctorima

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:10 pm
Does it need to be kosher? Or do you just want to walk around and smell grape bushes?

amother
Green

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:38 pm
doctorima wrote:
Does it need to be kosher? Or do you just want to walk around and smell grape bushes?

No need to be kosher. We will not do wine tasting. Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics