Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Yerida with 8 and half year old boy, illiterate in English
1  2  Next

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 8:09 am
Can someone share their experience with making yerida with children that age. Was your child able to adjust quickly? what were the issues? Is there any way to make it easier for him? We are planning to go to Cleveland (Cleve Heights) and it will be in the middle of the year. If anyone can share their experience or expertise I would really appreciate it. This is very time sensitive... thank you!

momX4

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 8:43 am
No experience, just advice.

Contact the school you plan to send your dc to and ask them for help. You can hire an american tutor now to teach the abc's and basic reading, or whatever the school recommends.

You should also maybe consider speaking english during dinner to help as well.

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 8:45 am
momX4 wrote:

Contact the school you plan to send your dc to and ask them for help. You can hire an american tutor now to teach the abc's and basic reading, or whatever the school recommends.

You should also maybe consider speaking english during dinner to help as well.

There may be government help. It is worth investigating. I don't know Ohio resources.

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 9:16 am
momX4 wrote:

You should also maybe consider speaking English during dinner to help as well.

He speaks English well, but he is just learning to read and write. He is writing his ABCs now. He is fluent in Hebrew too. I am a teacher so I can tutor him.Smile I am just worried about the psychological adjustment.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 9:27 am
I left with a 5 and 8 year old.
The 8 year old had a full time assistant/tutor in his english lessons in order to catch up. My 5 year old other took a year but is completely caught up now.

They were ahead in kodesh though!

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 9:39 am
amother wrote:
I left with a 5 and 8 year old.
The 8 year old had a full time assistant/tutor in his english lessons in order to catch up. My 5 year old other took a year but is completely caught up now.

They were ahead in kodesh though!

Thank you.. .that sounds promising...
are your children happier?

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 10:24 am
Have you spoken to the school about placement options to figure out what grade level makes the most sense for him?

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 10:40 am
doctorima wrote:
Have you spoken to the school about placement options to figure out what grade level makes the most sense for him?

not yet

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 11:38 am
I would definitely have that discussion with the school sooner than later. Since your question was specifically about psychological adjustment, it could obviously be quite a shock for him to be be put together with kids 3 years younger than him every afternoon for English classes, so I would clarify that and then start bracing him for the transition.

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 11:44 am
doctorima wrote:
I would definitely have that discussion with the school sooner than later. Since your question was specifically about psychological adjustment, it could obviously be quite a shock for him to be be put together with kids 3 years younger than him every afternoon for English classes, so I would clarify that and then start bracing him for the transition.

OMG.. is that what they do????

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 12:37 pm
ProudMommie wrote:
OMG.. is that what they do????

No!
I know plenty of ppl who went USA when kids were older
A very important thing is for him to learn to play ball
Israeli kids don't really play and esp in Cleveland he must know how to play baseball and football to fit in
Your husband should start teaching him how to throw etc
This is really important

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 12:37 pm
I don't know how they will handle it; this isn't a regular occurrence in US schools. But putting a boy in 3rd grade English classes - especially in the middle of the year, when he would struggle to fit in even if he were just coming from a different American community - when he's just learning to read and write the ABCs will likely not go very well and could easily result in boys in the class making fun of his poor English skills and having lots of fun at his expense, which will be at least as psychologically challenging. What were you expecting?

redheaded

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 12:40 pm
No experience here.

Life changes are always and adjustment. You will be supportive and he will learn and grow through the experience.

Don't let him feel negative energy and nervous from you.

Stay calm, be reassuring.

You'll all get trough this unscathed.

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 12:42 pm
It will be an adjustment, but it should be okay. Plenty of Americans come to Israel and their kids have a difficult time at first, but they pick up the language quickly at that age.

Plus your son has the advantage of being able to speak fluently, and a mother who is literate -- and a teacher!

Definitely alert the school first, though.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 12:48 pm
Out of the box idea but who knows. If you plan to move in the middle of the year can he be home schooled and start the following September? Then you can work on catching him up on his own pace without feeling embarrassed.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:14 pm
I teach secular studies in an elementary religious school and have taught kids in this situation several times. Also, I spent shana rishona in Israel and tutored a family with elementary aged kids preparing to return to the states. Here's my advice:

- if this is what you are really planning to do, start preparing your son NOW. Either you or a tutor should teach him abcs - how to write as well as the sounds of the letters, asap. Once he has learned that, start with small words and sentences. Build from there

- speak to his new school now. Let them know you are being proactive. Maybe even talk to the teacher. I personally would not recommend putting him in a younger grade, but to differentiate the level of work he is doing from his classmates. He should be included in science, social studies, gym and recess with his classmates, regardless. He needs the time to interact with them, both in order to build friendships and language skills.

- he will need to be pulled out to work 1:1 with a tutor or esl teacher, probably several times a week in the beginning. I don't know if the school can provide that for you or you will have to pay out of pocket. See who they recommend.

- you will be AMAZED at how quickly he will pick up English. Children's minds are typically sponges for languages and he will be speaking to and understanding his classmates pretty quickly. Arrange play dates!

- work with him after school. Besides reading and writing, take him to the grocery store. Let him look at the labels. Look at street signs, as well as maps of the area. Any learning that he can do in the real world is precious.

- go to the library and get books! Books! Books! Non fiction picture books about animals and other science topics are great because he probably has background knowledge about the subject already and can make connections between his Hebrew knowledge and the English words.

- online resources. Raz-kids.com, eslkidslab.com, eslgamesplus.com, are a few great resources.

- it'll take a while before he is working fluently in English but don't get discouraged. It will happen. Hatzlacha!

Edit: he might be very quiet for a while. He will most likely just be taking it all in, and not necessarily be feeling traumatized. Obviously, you're his mother and you know him best, so if it seems abnormal, intervene.

*anon bc I'm talking about my job.

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:42 pm
Firstly, to echo another poster, sports are super important. If you play, you're in, if not, you're out. Find out what the boys play at recess in that particular school and practice with your son.
Also, make sure you're son is typically developing. If he is then learning a new language should take effort but go smoothly. If he has a learning disability it needs to be addressed.

ProudMommie

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 2:13 am
amother wrote:
I teach secular studies in an elementary religious school and have taught kids in this situation several times. Also, I spent shana rishona in Israel and tutored a family with elementary aged kids preparing to return to the states. Here's my advice:

- if this is what you are really planning to do, start preparing your son NOW. Either you or a tutor should teach him abcs - how to write as well as the sounds of the letters, asap. Once he has learned that, start with small words and sentences. Build from there

- speak to his new school now. Let them know you are being proactive. Maybe even talk to the teacher. I personally would not recommend putting him in a younger grade, but to differentiate the level of work he is doing from his classmates. He should be included in science, social studies, gym and recess with his classmates, regardless. He needs the time to interact with them, both in order to build friendships and language skills.

- he will need to be pulled out to work 1:1 with a tutor or esl teacher, probably several times a week in the beginning. I don't know if the school can provide that for you or you will have to pay out of pocket. See who they recommend.

- you will be AMAZED at how quickly he will pick up English. Children's minds are typically sponges for languages and he will be speaking to and understanding his classmates pretty quickly. Arrange play dates!

- work with him after school. Besides reading and writing, take him to the grocery store. Let him look at the labels. Look at street signs, as well as maps of the area. Any learning that he can do in the real world is precious.

- go to the library and get books! Books! Books! Non fiction picture books about animals and other science topics are great because he probably has background knowledge about the subject already and can make connections between his Hebrew knowledge and the English words.

- online resources. Raz-kids.com, eslkidslab.com, eslgamesplus.com, are a few great resources.

- it'll take a while before he is working fluently in English but don't get discouraged. It will happen. Hatzlacha!

Edit: he might be very quiet for a while. He will most likely just be taking it all in, and not necessarily be feeling traumatized. Obviously, you're his mother and you know him best, so if it seems abnormal, intervene.

*anon bc I'm talking about my job.

I so appreciate your very thoughtful and informative post!! I read and reread it .. and will take your advice. I am not going to say that I am NOT overwhelmed, I am... Having gone through learning Hebrew and tutors, etc.. to put my child through this again.. in essence two immigrations is just so sad... As an immigrant child myself, I so wanted to avoid this.. but we are not in charge of how things turn out... thanks for your help! Gmar Hatima Tova!

ProudMommie

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 2:19 am
naomi2 wrote:
Firstly, to echo another poster, sports are super important. If you play, you're in, if not, you're out. Find out what the boys play at recess in that particular school and practice with your son.
Also, make sure you're son is typically developing. If he is then learning a new language should take effort but go smoothly. If he has a learning disability it needs to be addressed.

these are all good points. We lived in a very Chareidi Israeli place (hence the problem with our aliyah .. for our particular family), so my son just knows soccer. However, on a visit to RBS someone taught him to throw an american football so we are all set.Smile

thanks,
Gmar Hatima Tova!

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 3:14 am
One thing that will likely be a hard adjustment for him is the lack of independence. Here in E"Y, 8 year olds go to the store, walk to school, take 3 younger siblings to the park.... When my husband was a kid here, by 8, he was taking 2 busses to and from school each day. They moved back when he was almost 10, and he was expected to walk in a line from the lunchroom to the classroom. That was really hard for him. In E"Y, the kids practically run businesses by age 8, and in the US, they are really treated like kids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children