Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
One dishwasher for meat and dairy?
1  2  Next

perquacky

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:01 pm
Before I ask my question, I will state that I plan to ask a rav about this.

I'm curious to know whether anyone here uses just one dishwasher for both fleishig and milchig?
And if you do, do you change out the racks?
Please feel free to respond as amother.

I have a friend who claims that you can use one set of racks for both, as long as you don't wash meat and milk together. The dishwashing liquid or powder is so toxic it essentially kashers everything in the dishwasher, including the racks.

If the racks were made of stainless steel, like the rest of the dishwasher, I could accept this as a viable answer, but I believe most racks are made of stainless coated with nylon, which would potentially be an issue.

We're redoing our kitchen, and if there's any way to avoid getting two dishwashers and using the space for cabinets, I'm all for it. (Yes, I know I can wash dishes by hand, but after 20+ years of doing that, I'm ready to give it up!)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:09 pm
We use it for one. The interior of ours is stainless but racks are coated. We were told we can't kasher it for pesach, if that helps you.

perquacky

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:10 pm
Is there such a thing as uncoated racks? I'm guessing they would probably scratch glasses and dishes.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:14 pm
Many people use for both. There are plenty of different psaks though, from changing the rack to a cycle empty to pouring soap on everything first and mixing. Ask.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:16 pm
I don't, but I found this interesting:

https://ohr.edu/5216

jflower

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:19 pm
Instead of two full size dishwashers, I got an 18 inch wide GE dishwasher for dairy. This was a good solution for us.

perquacky

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:22 pm
18-inch dishwasher . . . An interesting idea I hadn't thought of.

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:34 pm
According to the shulchan arukh it would be fine and there are those who hold that way but most are very strict in this area

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:16 pm
If space is the major concern, how about dish drawers? Each dish drawer holds about as much as an 18" dishwasher.

Also, some (but not most) Rabbeim hold you can use the same DW for pareve and dairy, or for pareve and meat. I have a full size fleishik DW and a smaller 18" DW that gets used for both pareve and dairy (yes, I asked).

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:55 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If space is the major concern, how about dish drawers? Each dish drawer holds about as much as an 18" dishwasher.

Also, some (but not most) Rabbeim hold you can use the same DW for pareve and dairy, or for pareve and meat. I have a full size fleishik DW and a smaller 18" DW that gets used for both pareve and dairy (yes, I asked).

Do you have to wait between pareve and dairy use? Are there restrictions?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:00 pm
No waiting, but I check the trap (a removable piece at the bottom where food can lodge) and rinse it if necessary before doing a pareve load.*

* Please ask your LOR. I am only Rubber Ducky, not Rabbi Ducky.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:23 pm
I wash parve in mine too but realistically don't have many parve loads to run through the dish washer.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 9:52 am
We use the same for both, same racks, no waiting.

perquacky

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 10:27 am
Amother puce, do you wash milk and meat together, or one at a time?

And if I may ask, are you Sefardi? I believe I read that Ovadia Yosef held that you could wash both together.

etky

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 10:36 am
We also use ours for both. Same racks but the psak we got (25 years ago btw) was to do a full length empty cycle (with detergent) between milk and meat loads.

perquacky

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 12:45 pm
Those who were told they could use their dishwasher for both, can I assume you have nylon- or vinyl-coated stainless steel racks?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 12:49 pm
perquacky wrote:
Amother puce, do you wash milk and meat together, or one at a time?

And if I may ask, are you Sefardi? I believe I read that Ovadia Yosef held that you could wash both together.

We wash them separately. We are not Sefardi.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 12:54 pm
we asked our rav (who is the head of the chassidishe kashrus comitee in our kehille) and he holds that it is not permittet. we bought a full size dw for flseshig and a small one for milchig- that was our solution.

but again it is worth it to ask your own rabbi, cos our friends in a different town were told by a different rabbinical authority (modern orth) a totally different psak and they somehow do use only one dishwasher for both.

mazal555

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:55 pm
According to Sephardim this is not an issue at all and you can even wash meat and dairy dishes together. Because you use soap so there is no desirable ta'am.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 3:03 pm
I never thought such a thing would ever be OK so I didn't ask if we could (I think I read somewhere about different racks, but we weren't able to get another set so I didn't bother asking about that even).
I did ask if we could change ours over from meat to dairy and was told we could do that. I don't remember exactly what we were told to do but I think we didn't use it for a few weeks and then ran it a few times in the hottest cycle.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen