Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Who can evaluate my child?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:14 pm
I have an extremely demanding and difgicult 6 yr old son. He has extreme behaviors in school and at home. School is doing their best to handle and deal. We've tried a play therapist in the past, some methods worked. I think it's time to dig deeper.

I'd like to evaluate him for ADHD. I think he exhibits all the symptoms and treatment focused for that would help. Who would evaluate? Pediatrician? Child psychologist?

I'm in lakewood.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:24 pm
My son who also six (turning 7 in a couple months) has been receiving therapy since he was 4 turning 5. At the therapists urging, we started with a neurologist but it was not a good experience so we switched to a developmental pediatrician. She diagnosed ADHD and oversees his medication administration. We are currently doing a neuro psych with a psychologist in an attempt to better understand his needs.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
I have an extremely demanding and difgicult 6 yr old son. He has extreme behaviors in school and at home. School is doing their best to handle and deal. We've tried a play therapist in the past, some methods worked. I think it's time to dig deeper.

I'd like to evaluate him for ADHD. I think he exhibits all the symptoms and treatment focused for that would help. Who would evaluate? Pediatrician? Child psychologist?

I'm in lakewood.

Dr. Koslowitz in Lakewood does these evals. She's a clinical child psychologist with a background in neuropsychology. She writes these comprehensive evals that really get to the core of the child's needs and what to do about it. (Full disclosure - I work for her in her billing dept, so I know what she does. I wish people like her were around when my own kids were in school.)

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:53 pm
developmental pediatrician, neuro psychologist,
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)