Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to pick a car seat?

lucky14

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 7:00 pm
Quick I have to decide soon- Toys R us is having a sale and I have a Target coupon for a car seat but I'd need to pick one out in the next couple of hours- how do I decide on a car seat when there are so many?
my child is almost 2 but still rear facing. I want something that will grow from rear to forward. Should I also get one that will convert to a booster or worry about that then?
how do I decide out of the so many out there???? (safety is my priority. don't want to pay more for extras though. we aren't rich but safety is vital).

bargainlover

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 7:21 pm
Check the website csftl.com they have comparisons on all the carseats and give you an idea what will work. I am thrilled with my graco milestone and it eventually goes forward facing and then can be a booster too, though I'll probably pass to another rear facing kid and buy a cheaper booster at that point. The graco forever and extend to fit are also great for extended rear facing. Good luck!

momof2+?

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 7:21 pm
It's hard to pick, but I'll tell you something I wasn't thinking much about when I was choosing car seats.
After my oldest's infant car seat, I got him a car seat that would rear or forward face. I think it could go up to 6/7 years old or something. Meanwhile my baby (a buncha months later) was growing out of her infant car seat so I ended up putting my oldest in a new only forward facing car seat and put her in the rear/forward facing one. I prob. won't ever end up using that "perfect for 7 pounds through 7 years old" car seat for all its worth.

actually, my oldest child's new booster just arrived in the mail, and I'm moving the each of the children into the next size car seat and the rear/forward facing car seat is going to be rear facing again with a 1 yr old in it.

Not sure if this helps. but just in case.
If you want to see what I have I can try to look up link....

lucky14

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 7:28 pm
I also was wondering- don't the cup holders just get dirty and annoying to clean out? My child doesn't really eat in the car. I offer drinks occasionally but don't feel like he's missing out by not having a cup holder. I just see them as a place to collect grime and dust.

bargainlover

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 7:38 pm
My cup holders are washable and removeable. Very easy to clean and convenient for bottle, sippy cup, snacks

lucky14

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 8:25 pm
Thanks for the help! I just bought the graco extend2fit! Both of your inputs were really helpful.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 7:49 am
I came too late, but that is the one I was going to recommend with the Target coupon Smile I used it myself in May for that seat. I love it for my needs. I have been able to put my 4 yo in it RF without really adjusting it from my almost 2 yo because it's a no rethread harness. Was easy to install, seems comfortably padded, the buckles are not hard to deal with at all, has a 10 year expiration, doesn't take up too much space either side to side (though it's not the narrowest on the market, it's by far not the widest either!) and front to back is also great since you can have it more upright and without the headrest extended for smaller kids.

lucky14

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 1:05 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I came too late, but that is the one I was going to recommend with the Target coupon Smile I used it myself in May for that seat. I love it for my needs. I have been able to put my 4 yo in it RF without really adjusting it from my almost 2 yo because it's a no rethread harness. Was easy to install, seems comfortably padded, the buckles are not hard to deal with at all, has a 10 year expiration, doesn't take up too much space either side to side (though it's not the narrowest on the market, it's by far not the widest either!) and front to back is also great since you can have it more upright and without the headrest extended for smaller kids.

Thanks, good to hear more good things about it. Awaiting its arrival! Smile
btw are children able to see more out of the window in one of these vs an infant car seat even if they are still rear facing? (is the seat higher up or in more of an upright position?)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 7:05 pm
Absolutely! It's way more upright than an infant seat when you install it in a a different recline mode (if you were using it for an infant, you would install it more reclined)

lucky14

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 10:19 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Absolutely! It's way more upright than an infant seat when you install it in a a different recline mode (if you were using it for an infant, you would install it more reclined)

That's good. He'll be happy about that Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics