Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Philharmonic Symphony Concerts?
1  2  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 8:25 pm
Hi

My husband just mentioned that he would love to go to an awesome philharmonic orchestra concert. He loves classical music and could binge watch YouTube videos of these concerts

We are Chassidish and live in Brooklyn. I am concerned about the atmosphere of this type of venue. Can someone pls tell me what it's like?

And where in NYC can I find out what's being played & where etc

I love music though not classical as much but I'm very game to try if it's the right venue and right music

Maya

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 8:28 pm
New York Philharmonic plays at Lincoln Center.
I would think it's an appropriate enough atmosphere, if he's okay with mixed seating.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 8:31 pm
He is fine with mixed. It makes me cringe but I go along with it.

Were u ever there? Can u
Clue in this clueless woman?

I hate coming to a place and not knowing appropriate dress/type of seats and all those other things

DrMom

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 9:30 pm
There may be women with sleeveless dresses, including some women who may be on the stage playing instruments. (I assume since your DH has seen videos on youtube that he already knows this.)

Most people dress up to attend (nice Shabbat clothes are probably fine).

As far as behavior, I assume most people in the audience will be behaving in a very restrained manner. Classical music doesn't usually attract a rowdy crowd.

What exactly are you envisioning?

You can google "NY Philharmonic" or "NY classical music" to find links to schedules and tickets.
For the Philharmonic specifically, try here:
https://nyphil.org/

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 7:40 am
You dress up in nicer clothes.
It's not like a rowdy concert is that's what your imagining.
It's a elegant event.
Yes there's mixed seating but it's pretty dark, and your not exactly hanging out with the other people. Everyone is sitting on their seats. At the end of each piece, you clap. (If you not sure when the piece ends, follow everyone else's lead)
You can get cheaper tickets to the NY philharmonic on goldstar.
Do you know which composers he enjoys?

water_bear88

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
You dress up in nicer clothes.
It's not like a rowdy concert is that's what your imagining.
It's a elegant event.
Yes there's mixed seating but it's pretty dark, and your not exactly hanging out with the other people. Everyone is sitting on their seats. At the end of each piece, you clap. (If you not sure when the piece ends, follow everyone else's lead)
You can get cheaper tickets to the NY philharmonic on goldstar.
Do you know which composers he enjoys?

Regarding the bolded, best to follow everyone's lead. I haven't been to a live concert in several years but my recollection is that you don't clap at the end of a movement, which can sometimes be difficult to distinguish from the end of a piece if you're not generally familiar with it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 10:49 am
As long as there are no lady singers, there shouldn't be any problem for your husband's ears. A female soloist might not be dressed appropriately for his eyes.

DH and I go to and enjoy an occasional concert. Dress is usually formal. The atmosphere is refined, very different than a rock concert.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 10:58 am
I'm interested in what picture you have in your imagination of a philharmonic concert? There will be women in the orchestra, some may be wearing trousers. Most concerts of this nature don't have female vocalists, unless it's something super special. Be prepared, good seats at Lincoln Center are pricey, and that price will vary based on who is conducting and if there is a featured performer.

Carnegie Hall is too small for a full symphony orchestra but they often have decent classical performers and string ensembles. Dress at CH is far more informal than Lincoln Center.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 12:05 pm
I honestly can't thank you all enough.

Will find out which music he wants and will take from there

We know it's pricey and would do only if we can make it work.

In my head I imagined classy and all that but coming where I'm coming from, and I think some chassidishe posters may understand this best, stepping into a NYC concert hall for a secular mixed event is an out of body experience for me.

My husband is a very frum chassidishe Yungerman and would never go when there is a vocalist of any sort--he wants straight music but I was shocked that coming from our similar background he would consider going to that sort of
Venue.

Just a culture shock but not that I think it's awful or anything just uncomfortable. I've done things that make me uncomfortable before and I survive not just to tell the tale but make our family unit stronger. And I'm thrilled at the end. I have a voice and if he wanted to go out somewhere I thought was not appropriate I would say no and he would respect it.

The greys are the things I would be fine with...

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 12:40 pm
It's very classy. My husband is yeshivish and we go. It's extememely relaxing and a beautiful experience, unlike anything you've heard before. I find it very inspiring, but I'm into the arts so that's just me.
If either of you are a student, tickets are $20.( I think)
Enjoy and have fun!!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 12:49 pm
Amother white wow thanks!

Yes one of us is in college. Where do I find how to get a discount?

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 12:57 pm
There are ways to get cheaper tickets for concerts at Lincoln Center. I don't live in New York City anymore so perhaps others who live there can chime in.

Seats for a concert are really not that important since there is nothing to "see" as there would be in a ballet or opera. Acoustics are going to be good even if you sit in the cheapest seats.

And classical audiences are going to be fairly conservative and tend towards the middle aged. Without stereotyping, I think they would be fairly indistinguishable from MO to a great extent. People aren't dressing for a "party" so it's not as if there is going to be cleavage or cocktail style dresses.

There are also lovely non-symphonic classical musics - I.e. string quartets etc. If you and your husband enjoy classical music, you can look around because there are venues where less famous but still enjoyable musicians perform - I.e. colleges or smaller concert halls.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 2:07 pm
As amarante says, there are ways to get cheaper tickets. One idea -- the Philharmonic sells tickets to the last rehearsal for many of the concerts. The tickets are a fraction of the prIce of the concert that night. On,y problem is that the oen rehearsals are always during the day. That might interfere with work. But I have done it several times and some might say it is even nicer. There are many fewer people in the audience and it has a more informal feel about it. The Philharmonic website lists dates for open rehearsals. You can't reserve in advance so arrive early.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 2:35 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Regarding the bolded, best to follow everyone's lead. I haven't been to a live concert in several years but my recollection is that you don't clap at the end of a movement, which can sometimes be difficult to distinguish from the end of a piece if you're not generally familiar with it.

Correct. I specifically said end of each piece not movement.

OP, we get student tickets, and have gotten some pretty awesome seats.
(We like to have a good view of the orchestra)

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 2:45 pm
amother wrote:
As amarante says, there are ways to get cheaper tickets. One idea -- the Philharmonic sells tickets to the last rehearsal for many of the concerts. The tickets are a fraction of the prIce of the concert that night. On,y problem is that the oen rehearsals are always during the day. That might interfere with work. But I have done it several times and some might say it is even nicer. There are many fewer people in the audience and it has a more informal feel about it. The Philharmonic website lists dates for open rehearsals. You can't reserve in advance so arrive early.

The Dorothy Chandler in Los Angeles has something similar (for those of you in CA or planning a trip there).

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 3:30 pm
Went to a frum girls college program, our music 101 teacher took us to Carnegie hall. It was beautiful. We got student prices.

We were enjoying and whispering to each other, when a guy gave us a very stern look and shushed us up. Unlike by the heimishe events chatting, getting up and snacking are unacceptable.

amother
White

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 3:33 pm
Here you go:
https://nyphil.org/rush

Ps. It's walking distance to Noi due (dairy, o-k hashgacha) We find street parking and walk there after.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
Correct. I specifically said end of each piece not movement.

OP, we get student tickets, and have gotten some pretty awesome seats.
(We like to have a good view of the orchestra)

I posted to clarify, not correct you- but I wouldn't trust myself to spot the difference in an unfamiliar piece even though I do listen to a fair amount of classical music. Kal vachomer for OP if she's not familiar with the genre.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 5:23 am
amother wrote:
Went to a frum girls college program, our music 101 teacher took us to Carnegie hall. It was beautiful. We got student prices.

We were enjoying and whispering to each other, when a guy gave us a very stern look and shushed us up. Unlike by the heimishe events chatting, getting up and snacking are unacceptable.

This. It is not considered appropriate to talk or even cough. If you need to cough, wait for the pause between movements. (That's when LOTS of coughing happens)

water_bear88 wrote:
I posted to clarify, not correct you- but I wouldn't trust myself to spot the difference in an unfamiliar piece even though I do listen to a fair amount of classical music. Kal vachomer for OP if she's not familiar with the genre.

True Smile

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 8:00 am
It's a beautiful type of concert. Classical music, I love it too. There will not be any singing. It's also very classy and attracts a refined viewer body. Before I became frum I was in the performing arts (not music) and it's really not what people imagine.

It's all very serious and classic. The performers are of the highest caliber in their fields and have spent their whole lives pretty much dedicated to their art and perfecting it. It's no easy feat being hired by the NY philharmonic or carnegie hall etc......

The viewers well they are just there to enjoy, it's not like everyone is mingling just because it's a mixed crowd.

Enjoy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics