Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Philharmonic Symphony Concerts?
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 12:04 pm
Re: Mingling:

Not much of that. People are seated in fixed, assigned seats in the concert hall, not milling about, while the concert is in progress.

There may be people milling about in the lobby beforehand, but it's not exactly a pick-up joint.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
I honestly can't thank you all enough.

Will find out which music he wants and will take from there

We know it's pricey and would do only if we can make it work.

In my head I imagined classy and all that but coming where I'm coming from, and I think some chassidishe posters may understand this best, stepping into a NYC concert hall for a secular mixed event is an out of body experience for me.

My husband is a very frum chassidishe Yungerman and would never go when there is a vocalist of any sort--he wants straight music but I was shocked that coming from our similar background he would consider going to that sort of
Venue.

Just a culture shock but not that I think it's awful or anything just uncomfortable. I've done things that make me uncomfortable before and I survive not just to tell the tale but make our family unit stronger. And I'm thrilled at the end. I have a voice and if he wanted to go out somewhere I thought was not appropriate I would say no and he would respect it.

The greys are the things I would be fine with...

Op I am so impressed with the maturity in how you're handling this. It's so smart to be open minded and do research about something that's not familiar instead of dismissing it outright.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
Went to a frum girls college program, our music 101 teacher took us to Carnegie hall. It was beautiful. We got student prices.

We were enjoying and whispering to each other, when a guy gave us a very stern look and shushed us up. Unlike by the heimishe events chatting, getting up and snacking are unacceptable.

I grew up OOT. It never occurred to me to be so rude as to disturb another's entertainment, be it the performer or the audience member. Professional or preschool Chanukah play.
My grandma took me to plays, musicals and operas. To the opera everyone wore evening wear, some men wore tuxedos, all wore nice suits and ties. The women wore clothes that looked funny to me, but that was probably due to the mid-90's fashion.
I one time wore a charm bracelet to a performance. Grandma confiscated it till after, I was disturbing other patrons.

Why would you chat during a show, don't you want to watch it?
To stand up? You're blocking someone!
Intermission is for eating and discussing the first acts. You could go an hour or so without eating or using the bathroom.

I was shocked in seminary when I went to the performance of another seminary -the loud talking between scenes! Did no one know how to wait patiently for the show to progress?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics