Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
No TV. What do your kids do.
1  2  3  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 11:42 pm
Just curious. If you don't have a tv in your home, what do the kids do for entertainment and enjoyment.

My kids watch supervised TV but are not online. I want to get rid of the TV but I know my kids will want to rely on devices to entertain themselves. They are between the ages of 9 and 13.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 11:43 pm
Play with toys, games, crafts, play outside.
There isn't much play time during the week.

doctorima

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 12:03 am
Age appropriate toys (lego, dolls, magnatiles, etc.), ride bikes, play ball outside, play with neighbors - no shortage of options.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 12:05 am
I have a tv, but I don't let me kids watch to much. They play with Lego, cars, action figures, read books, color/draw, play Star Wars/super hero with their toy gun collection, write stories in their notebooks. Do you mean to say that your kids never play, but watch tv all day?

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 12:08 am
Boys or girls?

My older ones, in the age range you mention, are boys. They rarely watch TV or media, besides for sports games- Yankee games in particular- which they watch often.

Otherwise, yea, they play games on the iPad a lot.

They also play sports a lot, talk about sports a lot- specifically everything relating to baseball.

But yes, keeping kids entertained can be challenging. Good Luck. Tongue Out I have an easier time with some kids than with others. Having an active vibrant imagination, which some kids are just born with, and others not as much, helps keep boredom at bay.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 12:48 am
My kids are 9-13. They read a lot, play outside, play board games, spend hours schmoozing with dh or I around the house, do homework, bicker (of course!), make up dances and performances together, write stories, use adult coloring books, and card games.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 1:02 am
they do what kids have done for time immemorial - they play!

Aylat

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 1:10 am
Read. Play a lot of active imaginary games (often acting out and elaborating on books or cartoons). Climb trees. Practise gymnastics. Listen to music or to audiobooks. Do friend's hairdos. Lego. Bike. Colour and do crafts. Bake or cook. Hang out with friends. Play board games (Risk, chess) and card games (top trumps, fight, uno).

I have a boy and girl in that age range. No TV, no handheld devices. They have a set amount of computer use per day which they use mainly for minecraft and watching specific YouTube channels that I allow (educational value but fun). Battles over tech use are a big deal and it's very addictive - it's worth staying away if you can.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 1:16 am
Aylat wrote:
Read. Play a lot of active imaginary games (often acting out and elaborating on books or cartoons). Climb trees. Practise gymnastics. Listen to music or to audiobooks. Do friend's hairdos. Lego. Bike. Colour and do crafts. Bake or cook. Hang out with friends. Play board games (Risk, chess) and card games (top trumps, fight, uno).

I have a boy and girl in that age range. No TV, no handheld devices. They have a set amount of computer use per day which they use mainly for minecraft and watching specific YouTube channels that I allow (educational value but fun). Battles over tech use are a big deal and it's very addictive - it's worth staying away if you can.

I forgot gymnastics! All. Day. Long.
My older ones bake, too, both my son and daughter.

eschaya

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 1:35 am
Read!! And read some more. Play ball (catch. Baseball) shoot baskets. Get together with friends. Lego. Draw cartoons. Write stories that they dream of publishing. 1 son loves to listen to baseball games on the radio (when we allow it). Ride bikes. Make lemonade stands with friends. Fooseball. Fight with siblings. Complain about being bored. Daughter likes to bake (and I give in sometimes). Did I mention reading?
And really, once they get home from school, do homework, baths, eat dinner, etc, there really isn't all that much time.

salt

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 1:42 am
Read.
Play card games and monopoly. Either with each other or with friends.
Cycle.
During school time not much time after school, for that age kids. After they've done their homework.
My 11 yr old DD can shut herself off in her room for an hour and play being teacher by herself Smile .

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 1:45 am
We have no tv. Mine do all the above plus love love the classic board games...monopoly, risk, cleudo etc...they l play ages 7- 15

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 1:59 am
salt wrote:

My 11 yr old DD can shut herself off in her room for an hour and play being teacher by herself Smile .

Mine too!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 6:58 am
mine are younger but we have some games that are for children through adults. We have what are called cooperative games which means that everyone works together as a team and either the team wins or loses. One is saving people from a burning house and the other is curing illnesses. Then there's the regular spot it, rush hour etc...
My nieces that age would make up all sorts of things- they made a mock wedding one time etc...

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 7:22 am
Ask all the mommies and daddies in Boro park, Monsey, Williamsburg, Lakewood, Monroe. 98% of them don't own a TV. When you get rid of it they will have what to do trust me.
We go to the park
Board games
We play school
Arts n craft
Painting
Sewing (even how to sew on a button)
Knitting
Coloring
Baking
Cooking
Cleaning
Organizing
Jewelry making
I think it's beautiful that you actually have the courage to get rid of something like that!
It should be a great zchut for us all.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 8:07 am
Good for you!
No time to reply. I'll just say that I don't know if I could handle today's challenges. It's not just TV, it's letting kids watch things on all sorts of devices, and setting firm limits. We just had our pc and occasional educational videos from the library. During the summers I'd take my kids to movies at the library, even sometimes spending lots on gas for 10 mile drives, just so that the kids wouldn't be deprived but they'd know it's not every day.

We got out story tapes and lots and lots of books, lots of garage sale toys, coloring books, we had some great neighbors the kids played with all time....you've got a lot of other good suggestions.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 8:10 am
op- we got rid of our tv when I think I was in 7th grade. At first I would go to my grandparents apt (they were in florida and gave us full reign) to watch but then I stopped. I still remember my piano teacher commented how I got so much better at piano that year- I told it was because we got rid of our tv Wink. I used to watch soooo much....

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 8:20 am
I grew up without a TV, and I basically read my entire childhood:) I also did a lot of arts and crafts. Plus all the things suggested above. It's different to switch mid-stream, though! Hatzlacha!

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 9:02 am
Walmart has isles and isles of toys. Thats what our kids to.
And play with other kids.
Help mommy cook
Yesterday I collected all the leaves with the leaf blower into one huge pile (we have way too many trees and a crazy amount of leaves).
My sister came over and the kids (ages 7, 4, 4, 2) jumped in it. Buried themselves in it then popped out.....
I remember raking them together in my parents (very large according to city standards) backyard and doing that at your kids age. It was FUN. And my sjster and brither were 4-5 years oldee joined in it too.

At that age they can get creative!
My sister got a decorative cookbook for her son. He made such beautiful things for shevuos. He's very creative and loved doing it. At 13,14 and even now at 15 he'd get up waaay to early to bake and cook before going to yeshiva Smile.

Rushhour is a wonderful game for kids that like to spend alone time.

Lego too.
My other sister would sit down with her kids and make something nice for a new mom in the family, a sick and bored grandma....
My niece learned how to crochet. She made me such a pretty paci clip when my baby was born. Did the same for her other newbirn cousin......

You as the mother have to find way to be creative and let these things be availible to your kids.

What you are doing is huge! Hats off to you.
Good luck!

Zehava

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 9:48 am
I read a lot at that age. At 13 I started writing as well. Hanging out with other kids, making scrapbooks etc.
my kids are younger. The mostly play with toys, building toys are a favorite! they do lots of pretend play as well, playing house, pretend cooking etc. they love to watch us get ready for YT help with the sukkah and watch me cook and bake. If I'm on the couch they will snuggle up to me and talk about their day and ask random profound questions. They also enjoy looking at picture books especially comics even though they can't read yet.
We let them watch things occasionally but they know it isn't an everyday thing and generally don't even bother asking for it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children