Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do I have to toivel a challah board?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 3:50 pm
Anon because I'm embarrassed to ask such a question Smile I know I know, ask a rav, but I'm hoping it's simple enough for an answer here.

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 3:55 pm
What is it made out of?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:00 pm
tichellady wrote:
What is it made out of?

Glass

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:04 pm
If it’s glass then yes you would need to toivel it. Unless there is something I’m missing

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:08 pm
Yes, toivel with a bracha.

http://www.ok.org/article/tevi.....uide/

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:14 pm
You only toivel stuff that belonged to a non-Jew first so if a Jew makes a kiddush cup and sells it to you you don't have toivel it. Is this a designated challah board that was never in a non-Jews pssession?
as per the site linked
does not require tevila category includes
"Equipment manufactured and owned by a Jew"

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:23 pm
amother wrote:
You only toivel stuff that belonged to a non-Jew first so if a Jew makes a kiddush cup and sells it to you you don't have toivel it. Is this a designated challah board that was never in a non-Jews pssession?
as per the site linked
does not require tevila category includes
"Equipment manufactured and owned by a Jew"

Interesting point. I think a lot of Jewish products are not actually manufactured by Jews but that’s a good question. If it’s made in China I think you can assume you should toivel it

mom2six

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:30 pm
lavenderchimes wrote:
Yes, toivel with a bracha.

http://www.ok.org/article/tevi.....uide/

Isn't glass usually toiveled without a bracha? I thought only metal was toiveled with a bracha.

chag334

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:43 pm
Interesting point: I was told a lot of people say Brachas in vein bc even products made in China are often produced by companies owned by Jews.

simba

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:44 pm
Aylor

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:45 pm
Ur smart! Excellent point. I assume many people recite Brachas on such items when they probably shouldn't. It's a glass challah board that says l'kavod shabbos v'yuntif" which leads me to believe it was manufactured by Jews

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:54 pm
chag334 wrote:
Interesting point: I was told a lot of people say Brachas in vein bc even products made in China are often produced by companies owned by Jews.

I don’t think we are expected to look into the details of who owns what and what percentage of a company is owned by Jews etc. if I buy something from a Jewish craftsman I would not toivel it but I will toivel a product with some Hebrew on it that was made in China

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
Ur smart! Excellent point. I assume many people recite Brachas on such items when they probably shouldn't. It's a glass challah board that says l'kavod shabbos v'yuntif" which leads me to believe it was manufactured by Jews

No. It was manufactuired FOR Jews...maybe. Both Jews and non-Jews sell in the US products that they have manufactured for them overseas. they do not own the factories and the work is done on a contract basis. yes, there may be some Jews who own factories in China but most companies selling items manufactured in China do not own the factories. You have your designers and engineers in the US design the item, and you give the overseas company specifications how you want the item made. It's a matter of moments to send them a graphics file with whatever image you like to be printed, etched, laser-cut or otherwise applied to the item. As far as the factory is concerned, it's a picture like any other picture no matter what language it's in.

The company selling the stuff here may not be Jewish-owned, either. They may market items to Jews and have Jewish consultants or employees who advise them what to sell. For example, Lenox china carries a variety of seder plates and a Kos Eliyahu; Spode carries seder plates and matzah dishes. They probably carry other Judaica as well.

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 6:02 pm
mom2six wrote:
Isn't glass usually toiveled without a bracha? I thought only metal was toiveled with a bracha.

Glass and metal are toiveled with a bracha, china and ceramics are toiveled without a bracha. I checked a few different places to be sure:). Here is a pretty thourough article, which also covers the "owned by a non-Jew" issue:

http://www.chabad.org/library/.....m.htm

Blessing1

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 6:10 pm
Only dishes that are used for cooking & hot foods need to be toiveled.

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 6:18 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

Never heard that before. Maybe that’s one opinion but it’s definitely not the only opinion, otherwise people would not toivel kiddish cups or drinking glasses or knives

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 6:25 pm
Well I am thoroughly confused! Keep ya'll posted bli neder

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 6:31 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

According to Rav Elyashiv, if you want to reuse a glass jar or bottle, it must be toiveled first. Ex: tomato sauce jar to store rice.
Some things can be taken apart then reassembled. Then it was made by a Jew, you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen