Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
How much should it cost?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:39 pm
I am recently widowed and am buying my own lulav and esrog for the first time. I see a broad range of prices. Can someone tell me (or ask their DH) how much I need to spend to get a good one? I am on a budget but (within reason) I would rather pinch pennies somewhere else than scrimp on this,

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:43 pm
Since I'm sure prices vary widely by location, I'm sure it will help if you post yours.

simba

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:43 pm
Buy a Israeli one. The Italian ones this year are a fortune due to weather there.
You can get a kosher nice one for $100-$150 dollars.
Don't ask a sales associate their for help. Ask one of the men shopping for advice. A lulav can be up to $25.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:46 pm
simba wrote:
Buy a Israeli one. The Italian ones this year are a fortune due to weather there.
You can get a kosher nice one for $100-$150 dollars.
Don't ask a sales associate their for help. Ask one of the men shopping for advice. A lulav can be up to $25.

I don’t know where you live, but that’s really very exorbitant! In every city that I’ve ever lived in in America, where I live now, you can get a very decent kosher set for $45.

simba

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:51 pm
watergirl wrote:
I don’t know where you live, but that’s really very exorbitant! In every city that I’ve ever lived in in America, where I live now, you can get a very decent kosher set for $45.

I got a kosher set for my kids yesterday for $30. Op said she would rather pinch pennies somewhere else so I am telling her the price for a nicer one. She can easily spend $500 where I live!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:55 pm
It's all relative. Here in Brooklyn, DH gets a kosher chinuch set for $50 and a bit upgraded for older DS's for $60. For himself, he spends significantly more than that.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 5:02 pm
Up to a hundred (shekel) for a decent middle-range set in Israel, not counting aravot. I'd imagine the more of the 4 need to be imported or shipped a long distance the higher the base price goes, though- palm branches are really cheap as schach here, so I assume the lulavim are only more expensive because they need to be a particular shape and are one per tree.

little_mage

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 5:49 am
My shul was selling them fro $36 on the low end to about $75 at the high end.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 6:16 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Up to a hundred (shekel) for a decent middle-range set in Israel, not counting aravot.

Prices I've seen in Jerusalem on ads hung around shuls and on lampposts generally offer two or three grades ranging from around 70 to 100 NIS including aravot.

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 6:40 am
simba wrote:
I got a kosher set for my kids yesterday for $30. Op said she would rather pinch pennies somewhere else so I am telling her the price for a nicer one. She can easily spend $500 where I live!

Youre right. I misread her post.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 7:13 am
imasoftov wrote:
Prices I've seen in Jerusalem on ads hung around shuls and on lampposts generally offer two or three grades ranging from around 70 to 100 NIS including aravot.

True, but we've had iffy luck with the pre-ordered sets before, even ordering the most mehudar option. You can do similarly in price but pick out your own etrog if there's a shuk 4 minim near you.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 9:51 am
OP here. Thanks, all. I don't live (sadly) in E"Y, so esrog shuks are not an option.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 11:54 am
My husband spent all together $150 for a beautiful israeli esrog (with one tiny freckle on it) and a straight, mehudar lulav. This is in the tri-state area.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:12 pm
You can buy one from about $25 and up in Brooklyn
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics